Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Interesting to see the wading jacket in there also. It has been in their catalogue for quite some time and I figured it was a permanent fixture.

2. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

[​IMG]

This is my new Filson Original Briefcase model in navy. I picked navy for the versatility of the colour, the fact it won't show dirt as easily, and may go better with suits since I'll be using it for business. My first pick was the dark brown, but seeing the navy in person made me change my mind. The fabric is also a few oz. lighter than the tan. I've loaded it up with a few books and I'm breaking in the shoulder strap.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. ec123456

ec123456 Active Member

Anyone know how to remove indigo stains from raw denim from a filson bag?

4. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Would that be a tan coloured bag ?

5. ec123456

ec123456 Active Member

It's a small khaki duffle

6. gnu

gnu Senior member

Its patina, get over it.

7. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Probably the best thing to do as I have a feeling that trying to clean it could be a major pain, particularly if it has been on there a while.

The cloth is going to be the most problemmatic. You could try cleaning with water first and then maybe moving up to foaming cleaner of some sort.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. coreydwsmith

coreydwsmith Senior member

In need of a replacement shoulder strap for a medium duffel and Filson is backordered for four more weeks. Anybody have any tips on who may have them?

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Don't bother. Indigo bonds electrostatically. Basically the stain is permanent. The only way to keep this down is by regular treating of the twill with wax. Indigo doesn't stick to waxy or oily surfaces. This is also how you keep your boots or anything else that's leather from staining as well.

I don't care or worry about this kind of stuff. It's part of the patina process.

10. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

Regarding the gentleman's strap question...call the Filson store here in Portland. Filson has several styles in stock.

11. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

I think if you clean as soon as you see the stain on the bag it is possible to clean to some extent. In short:

1. Prevention
    2. Clean quickly if you see it occuring
    3. Live with it

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i think indigo stains on filson bags are one of the more common 1st world problems encountered on styleforum.

13. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

An entirely and easily avoidable problem or perhaps a self-inflicted wound.

14. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Hey Filson fans,

First off, I apologize, as the question I'm about to pose has probably been asked before in this thread. I acquired my first Filson product a little over a year ago (dopp kit in tan) and love the quality and design. Now, I'm looking to purchase a versatile, small/medium size bag for travel (carry-on) and which can also work as an every day, office type of bag. I am leaning toward the 256 Original Briefcase. My only hesitation is that I'm in my 20s and fresh out of college, and still trying to shake the idea that briefcases/messenger bags are douchey, as is the perception of most when you carry one on a college campus.

Any thoughts? Any other styles I should consider? Thoughts on the most versatile color? As someone a few posts up mentioned, seems like navy is a great color that looks good when in casual attire as well as a suit. That said, I also really like tan, and it would be nice to match the dopp kit I already have.

Lastly, who's got the best prices on Filson products? Seems like the seller "FilsonGuy" in the SF marketplace is reputable with great discounts on new products. Anyone dealt with him?

Thanks for any input!

15. Silk

Silk Active Member

Eastdane has 25% off from now until 20 October 2013 with the code INTHEFAMILY25. There's free international shipping if you spend above a certain amount (almost all the Filson items will qualify).

Here you go: http://www.eastdane.com/filson/br/v=1/20501.htm

Enjoy.