Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Maybe look at shipping from the US ?

Various online stores have had coupons that have been used for Filson items and some will ship to the UK. Likely cheaper than sourcing from within the EU,

A recent example - Brooks Brothers sell the 257 for $300 and they recently had a 25% coupon that could be used on the 257 which would bring it down to $225. According to their site Brooks Bros. will ship to the UK for GBP 5. So, if I am reading everything correctly, you would be looking at approx $235 shipped. Not sure if you would be open to getting hit by any additional import duty/taxes, despite the Brooks Bros. site indicating that they are included in the GBP5.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

2. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Hmm, I just tried to order a 257 for delivery in the UK. The BB site tries to redirect you to the UK site, where the 257 is an invalid item. I'd guess that they'd hit you with $50 shipping from the US which brings you to approx $275 / GBP 170.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

3. acinod

acinod Senior member

I am deciding between the Small or Medium Duffle for a 3 week winter trip to the US.

Here is a list of everything I will be buying+packing that will need to all fit in the bag:
    • 3 Sweaters
    • 2 OCBD
    • 1 Chinos
    • 1 Grey Flannel Trousers
    • 3 T-Shirts
    • 1 Shorts
    • 4 Wool Socks
    • 1 Sneakers
    • 7 Underwear
    • 2 Undershirts
    • 1 Pajamas
    • 1 Legging
    • 1 Scarf
    • 1 Gloves
    • 1 Tie
    • 1 Umbrella

As you can see I won't be buying/packing much. Do you think the small will be enough for everything I plan to pack? People have recommended me the medium because I can just bunch it up to fit as a carry-on but I'm still a bit worried about the extra size and weight. Should I go with the small or medium duffle?

4. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Go with small. I was able to fit my large Duffle overhead 2/5 of my flights but not always. It really is up to how the TSA agent feels that day. Also, you will be buying a lot when you get here. Bring a small Duffle, and leave with another filled with Xmas goodness :)

5. acinod

acinod Senior member

Ahaha I wish I had the money to buy another but I think I'll stick to just one carry-on for the whole trip. That's the only thing I'm worried about, buying MORE than I expect and not being able to fit it all in. But I've been planning my shopping list for months and my list posted before is exactly everything I plan to buy/pack.

Say I also bought a tweed blazer, would I be able to fit everything I listed PLUS the tweed blazer in the small duffle?

6. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

No sir you can't :( Small duffle is, well, small. If you really need "One" carry-on bag, and its gotta be Filson, Pullman is your best bet.

7. acinod

acinod Senior member

Cheers! Guess if I want to restrict my shopping cravings I'll get the small duffle but that's no fun!

Been reading this thread and the Red Oxx Air Boss got recommended a few times: http://www.redoxx.com/Airline-Carry-on-Luggage/Air-Boss/91018/100/Product

Looks are sacrificed for functionality but would the Air Boss a better choice for my needs?

(Seems the cheapest I can get is from the website +$45 shipping to AUS)

8. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Chiming in to vouch for the Pullman. Just came off a 3 week international trip with only a Pullman and Saddleback briefcase. In the Pullman I packed:

5x Underwear
    5x Socks
    1x Desert Boots
    5x Chinos
    1x Sweater
    1x Down Vest
    5x OCBD
    1x Down Vest
    1x Filson Tote

And some more miscellaneous items. Fit in every overhead bin I tried (including intercontinental African flights), never got hassled, and that was on 14 flights in 21 days. Seriously, the Pullman is a fricking black hole.

9. Alter

Alter Senior member

If you put a wallet in a dopp kit in the tote in the Pullman you could do a Filson Turducken thing. :D

10. quuz

quuz Senior member

After seeing the small irl, well its really really small, would never work for me at least as a weekend bag.

11. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Absolutely buy it from US, European retail prices are unreasonable but I noticed that this year they have lowered them, the 257 years ago retail far above 250£

I ordered last year two 256 from Crane Country with member discount, and I paid around 210 Euro total for a bag, duties included.
    Considering that Italian RRP for the 256 is around 400 Euro, it was a great deal.

However I think that the 25% off during BB F&F sale it's the better price ever for Filson Bags.
    Last year they were sold out in the colors I wanted and I have ordered them from Crane's.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

13. Businessness

Businessness Well-Known Member

can anyone confirm that the shade of khaki on the duffle/duffel bag is different to the shade of khaki on the messenger bag? does this bother anyone else as well? they're too close to match and too far apart to contrast

also would anyone be able to direct me to photos of previous iterations of the messenger bag. I understand that Filson keeps on updating these designs so it makes me wonder whether I should buy now or wait or go vintage. Thanks everyone =)

14. gnu

gnu Senior member

Original twill is original twill if you are comparing the 257 with say the small duffle then they are made out of the same fabric, original twill. If you are looking at one of the newer bags that are made out of the shelter cloth or tin cloth, whatever they are then they would probably be slightly varied. If you want them to match then go with the original twill. My original briefcase is the same as my dopp and the same as my pullman.

15. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Interesting to see the wading jacket in there also. It has been in their catalogue for quite some time and I figured it was a permanent fixture.