1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Here are some, it is possible to see that there is no harm done to the leather, which has been treated with Obenauf's HDLP once per year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Reading the description of that item - and I'm not sure why I missed it earlier - it does state that they are Talon zippers. It has been quite a while since Filson has used those.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

It might be old, but it is washed.

5. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Washed or not, the leather needs some TLC for sure

[​IMG]

6. dcg

dcg Senior member

Here's a 257 I just ran into that's got some real wear on it (contrast with the above):

[​IMG]

And where would I run into by far the best looking Filson bag I've ever seen? Budapest, of course. This guy said he's had it for 30 years, and it was originally tan. Interesting that over the years, the tan and the green seem to take on a similar color, with the tan darkening and the green lightening. So, if you're going to use your bag hard, don't spend too much time deciding which of the classic colors to choose. :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    3 people like this.
  7. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Wabilicious

Is that circular silver ring on the leather patch that holds the D ring to the bag a repair ?

8. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

9. Shumway13

Shumway13 New Member

Hey, i just bought a Filson Original Briefcase in Germany but the logo on the flap looks a little bit odd. Is this just another logo they use sometimes?[​IMG]

10. mountainjoo

mountainjoo Active Member

Looks different to mine - not sure if they are meant to be all the same though.

[​IMG]

11. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Hmmm ... I've never seen that particular label before ... every Filson label that I recall seeing says "Seattle" somewhere on it.

12. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Unless they've had a major marketing change, every Filson product, ever, has said "Might as well have the best" on the tag. And none say "Made at Filson" which would be silly.

Does the stitching on the tag go through to the otherside of the flap? If so, that would indicate someone sewed on the tag, maybe to replace a seconds quality tag (which is the normal tag with an X through it). Or it's a knockoff (though I haven't heard much about Filson knockoffs).

13. Shumway13

Shumway13 New Member

Quote: That´s what i figured. I have never heard of Filson knockoffs but the tag made me suspicious. Apart from that the bag actually looks like a normal 256 and the stitching is not going through by the way.
    Some more pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

looks legit. regretting selling mine. couple of years ago I switched over to a RL all leather messenger but id like to switch back again. maybe have 2-3 bags that I can rotate each year as tastes and preferences change

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  15. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

It does lock legit ... consider asking Filson if they do in fact use different labels for some markets.

16. BWV988

BWV988 Senior member

Agree with the others about it looking legit. Out of curiosity, what were they charging for it in Germany? The Filsons I saw in Italy were eye-wateringly expensive.

17. Shumway13

Shumway13 New Member

OK, so i guess i`ll keep this one of a kind Filson bag then. Prices for Filson in Germany have been pretty ridiculous in the past and i seriously considered importing one but never pulled the trigger. But since prices have dropped in the last months as more retailers offer Filson, retail for the Briefcase is now around 250€.

18. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

I'll second that. It would be interesting to hear what Filson have to say about the unusual tag.

19. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Uh.. possibly a stupid question, but do people actually rewax their Filson canvas bags (like the 256)? If so, with what? I have some leftover Barbour thornproof wax from when I did my jacket. Would that work?

20. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

This was discussed a few pages back. The poster used a bar wax (Fjällräven Green Wax) instead of tub wax. There are a number of bar waxes on the market. Seems a lot less messy than trying to apply liquid wax with a brush. Either method is appropriate.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014