1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. converge

converge Senior member

1 person likes this.
  3. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

2 week old text and image from the Filson instagram feed. They are recycling (or is that upcycling?) repaired luggage to the NYC fashionables.

Wonder what prices they were asking ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  4. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

dupe

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  5. Businessness

Businessness Well-Known Member

Has the sizing for the Filsons small, medium and large duffle bags deviated over the many years of them being produced?

Eg is a small filson duffle from 1970 the same size as one produced today?

6. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

According to Filson website the luggage collection was reintroduced in 1991 in Rugged Twill and bridle leather.

Not sure if that means they had stopped producing them or they simply switched materials. I'd love to be let loose in the Filson archives to find out.

There are snippets of old Filson catalos out there (e.g. - http://archivalclothing.com/from-the-archives-filson-catalog-circa-198x/), but haven't seen any featuring luggage.

7. Businessness

Businessness Well-Known Member

Great response, thanks mate

8. remmie

remmie New Member

Can anyone give me a good comparison between the medium duffle and the Pullman? I'm female, but am looking for a great travel bag that I can carryon and last for about a week or so of travel. I really like the navy duffle and if I'm being shallow, I think the navy color works pretty well for females. However, I'm concerned that the navy duffle would not work as a carryon bag and that it doesn't have as much organization as the Pullman. If the Pullman was offered in navy, I think I'd scoop it up pretty quickly, but since it isn't, I'm not sure which way to go. Thank you in advance for help :)

9. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

I have yet to handle the Pullman in-person, but the medium duffle (which I own and love) is too big for carryon size by a good amount...but as long as you only fill it half full, it's then moldable to whatever shape you want, including those carryon-size-check cages and the smallest overhead bins on the smallest planes (definite advantage over rollerboards for the latter use). If you filled it, it would be pretty obviously not a carryon size...but I keep mine half-filled and use it as a carryon all the time. Beyond that, the duffle has legitimately zero organization, so it's much better if you're planning to have a place to unpack. If you don't plan on unpacking the bag, the Pullman would be your obvious answer, imho.

Also, you could try contacting Filson to see if they have any plans to release the Pullman in navy. They'd likely stay tight-lipped on something like that, but you never know...especially given their great customer service.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  10. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

You might want to check out the medium travel bag. It's smaller than the Pullman but that means it's easier to carry and will fit in to all overhead bins. They offer it in navy and holds more than enough to last you for 3-4 days. A week might be pushing it unless it's mostly summer clothes. But then again womens clothes seem to take up much less space than mens so that might be more than enough for you. When I say that, I means my wifes underwear or a shirt of hers takes up much less space than mine. So if she took the same amount of clothes, hers would take up about a third the space mine do.

2 people like this.
  11. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

I see what you're saying. Their briefcase i have is too flimsy for carrying what many carry in a briefcase but it is canvas after all. I just deal with that problem. Besides, I don't wear a suit to work and if my papers look like I just pulled them out of a goats ass no one cares.

12. frodofelix

frodofelix Member

I have a Few bags from this vintage line! They Look soooo Great there are only I Think at this Time about 150 made! 1-about 111 was cheaper than the bags from 112-now! I think thats cuz its really Limited and hard to find! They are sold at filson london:)[ATTACHMENT=8342]image.jpg (105k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  13. frodofelix

frodofelix Member

[ATTACHMENT=8343][ATTACHMENT=8344]image.jpg (102k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]

14. frodofelix

frodofelix Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

So, they are selling them as used/distressed in the London store ?

Could I ask how much they were asking for the briefcase and if it is a 256 or 257 ?

16. tim y

tim y Member

I looked at the duffle and the Pullman pretty closely and ended up settling on the latter. I really liked the way that the Filson opened up into two separate compartments. I thought that it makes packing much easier, especially if you have dress shirts, slacks or a blazer with you. Both bags can fit up top as a carry on, permitting you don't actually stuff them full. I am in love with the navy, although I've got way so much tan to ever switch.

17. frodofelix

frodofelix Member

Well the vintage Line Is called FRD (Filson Restore D├ępartement) and they are selling the Bags in the London store! They are vintage and between 15-25 years old and Filson repairs them and then they sell it! Its so nice and Limited! It was a Gift so I don't know the prices but ask the store! I think its so nice a worth the Money! By the Way it Is a 257 ;-)[ATTACHMENT=8346]image.jpg (655k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

18. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Remmie, as others have said before, the Pullman is great, but loaded up can be quite heavy, particularly if you have to lug it around an airport or public transportation. I would seriously consider a Medium Travel Bag; a little smaller but probably more manageable.

19. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

The Tan 257 arrived today - perfect as you described. Thanks much :slayer:

Will

1 person likes this.
  20. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Navy 256 arrived today as well. Much darker in person than I expected, but I like that. I imagine it will lighten over time.