1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

2. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

That would fall into the acceptable bucket for me.

3. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Mine came a little rippled like that too from brooks brothers from the last december sale. Got my 256 in navy. I think it is a very good size for everyday use since I only carry around a small binder, a laptop, a charger, and a couple pens. On rare occasions I will carry around more stuff than that, but I don't want to carry around a bigger floppier bag 100% of the time in order to accomodate the 5% chance I'll need a slightly larger bag. (I wrote all that to convince myself that I made the right decision going with the 256 vs the 257. sorry guys haha!)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I think there is no wrong decision. I have both a 256 & 257 here and based off the type of stuff I carry around I think I actually fit more in the 256. What it gives up in volume it makes up for in open space compared to the 257 which has more compartments

5. US Grant

US Grant Senior member

you'll straight those out quickly as you carry it with weight and add your own little wrinkles and imperfections. my handles smoothed out quickly and are now distinctive. the more personal marks, the better.

1 person likes this.
  6. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

+1

7. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

I have the mentality that bigger is better, so that is why I was just a little regretful about getting the 256 vs the 257. But having experienced carried a messenger that is way too big for just a laptop and a 1in. binder, I'm glad I got the 256. I do wish though that the 256 had the handle/grip. My girlfriend thinks my 256 looks like a tote without the handle. Not that there's anything wrong with totes, I just wanted something that looks just a tad more professional than a tote, but can be used casually.

8. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

Well, I'm just a lowly truck driver and I own a few Filson bags for one reason. THEY LAST. I have one of their original briefcases I bought about 10 years ago. It goes everywhere with me and I do mean everywhere. I keep the passport, the four pairs of glasses and a lot more in it. It's my "purse". I have another one of their field bags I take everywhere as well. I have owned it for about the same amount of time. Neither piece of luggage shows any appreciable wear. I doubt I'll ever wear out the huge, roll around duffel of theirs I bought.

After buying a number of cheap briefcases to put my stuff in and having them just fall apart I bought Filson and have been happy for over a decade. I HAVE been dissatisfied with some of Filson's products over the last 10 years ( i own a lot of their clothing) but their luggage hasn't been one of them and I own quite a bit of Filson "gear". Their briefcase may be a PIA for some due to it's flexibility but if you can get by that it's great.

As far as wearing a Filson briefcase with a suit? I don't even own a suit but I'll guarantee you a Filson alongside a $3000 Armani will get more attention than anything else. Try it, you'll like it. We ALL put our pants on the same way..

2 people like this.
  9. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

Oh please. You're kidding, right? It's a Filson and I doubt there is any real difference between the two items. If there is then Filson just dropped their standard another notch. I hope they didn't but it's possible. I hope not!

One bag compared to another means nothing considering they are made of different lots of material. Wait till it falls apart and then complain. If it doesn't then you have nothing to worry about.

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Are you talking about the piece with the snaps that the 257 has on the handles? My understanding is that Filson can add this for like $20 but not sure if that's true

11. letsi

letsi Senior member

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I'll like to avoid returning them back as I'm not living in the states at the moment and shipping things back cost a pretty penny (make that lots of pretty pennies).

How about the usage of Nano Protector on the original briefcases?
    Ye or nay for waterproofing/stainproofing it that way as opposed to Filson wax?

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I made it a point to handle a navy and tan 256 yesterday. The tan is stiffer then the navy. The only difference that I noticed is the navy appears to be either much less waxed or it's a dry finished twill. That difference would certainly make the navy feel more flexible. As far as durability is concerned you would be hard pressed on wearing it out and if you do you'll get a new bag from Filson.

13. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Ok returning both bags to Nordstroms today... Guess my asking prices were to high . :)

14. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

I will take the tan 257. $220 shipped is very reasonable. Please send me an email/PM so that I can send you payment via Paypal.

By the way, I love the V8 M3 in your signature. I used to own a 2002 M3 (with SMG) which I still miss!

Will

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  15. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Haha I wasn't talking about durability. I just prefer the feel of a stiffer/rigid bag. Rigidity is what makes it feel a tad more like a briefcase than lets say a cheaper brand messenger bag or a tote. I'm confident the navy will last a long time, and I'm not really worried about it because of filson's great CS.

16. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

1 person likes this.
  17. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

They only thing I would add is that i carry a 15" retina display MacBook and the new body design allows for it to fit in the computer slot in either bag. This creates a lot more usable space in the 256 than having to use the main compartment

18. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

I have not heard of that particular product. Maybe try it on a small area of material, let it dry and check everything is OK before applying to the whole bag.

19. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Leather strap on my iPad case is ripping apart after a year's use (started with a crack after a few months). What should I do about it?

20. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Contact Filson customer service.

Take it to a good cobbler and see what they recommend by way of repair

Condition the leather occasionally

2 people like this.