• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ksv123

Reaction score
Def get the 257, the 256 is a tight squeeze w a mbp15, charger and done notebooks

converge

Reaction score

I'm receiving a Filson bag as a graduation present to use in college, and I'm unsure of which size to go for: the 256 or 257. I'll be carrying a 15.6" laptop and its charger, most likely with at least 1 textbook and maybe a water bottle. I like the sleek size of the 256, but I'm unsure about if it's actually enough to carry everything. Anybody have some thoughts or advice to make the decision easier?

Generally speaking...
256 = Work
257 = School

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm receiving a Filson bag as a graduation present to use in college, and I'm unsure of which size to go for: the 256 or 257. I'll be carrying a 15.6" laptop and its charger, most likely with at least 1 textbook and maybe a water bottle. I like the sleek size of the 256, but I'm unsure about if it's actually enough to carry everything. Anybody have some thoughts or advice to make the decision easier?

don't count out the zippered tote bag. it can actually fit a 15" macbookpro with sleeve and a book with other stuff too. its cheaper and more versatile (because its simple).

a lot of filson bag owners end up having more than one bag.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I chose the 256 over the 257 and have carried a 15" Macbook Pro in it for a few years. I like the look of the 256 best, and it's worked well for me. But I don't carry much else besides the computer and a charger. If you want to carry a water bottle, textbooks, and other stuff, it's going to be tight. Sounds like the 257 is best for you.

I'm actually leaving work to return to school soon and may need to switch to a 257. I'll give the 256 a shot first though. I just got a 13" Macbook Pro to replace the 15". I may also carry an iPad to class instead of a laptop, in which case the 256 would be sufficient I think.

Last edited:

Santi Se

Reaction score
don't count out the zippered tote bag. it can actually fit a 15" macbookpro with sleeve and a book with other stuff too. its cheaper and more versatile (because its simple).

Interesting note. Thank you. I'll looking for one.

Flo3000

Reaction score
Hi there,

I found a really interesting Filson Bag on ebay.com.

Unfortunately I think the guy mixed up some pictures ...

But check it out yourself ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FILSON-TWIL...h=item3f25768827&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

I am talking about the first picture, it looks like some kind of suitcase style bag. Maybe a fake Filson or something very new ...

I tried to get in touch with the seller, but no respond so far ....

Best Flo

Last edited:

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi there,

I found a really interesting Filson Bag on ebay.com.

Unfortunately I think the guy mixed up some pictures ...

But check it out yourself ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FILSON-TWIL...h=item3f25768827&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

I am talking about the first picture, it looks like some kind of suitcase style bag. Maybe a fake Filson or something very new ...

I tried to get in touch with the seller, but no respond so far ....

The pessimist in me thinks that the seller is trying to flog a 256 or 257 for more than it's worth. Of course, it could just be an honest mix-up, but if you still can't get a response from him/her I would avoid like the plague.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The pessimist in me thinks that the seller is trying to flog a 256 or 257 for more than it's worth. Of course, it could just be an honest mix-up, but if you still can't get a response from him/her I would avoid like the plague.

I always believe the pictures over the description. I purchased my medium travel bag on ebay without any problems except that I paid full price. I can't remember the seller (it wasn't this guy) but look around. Stuff like this always sets off alarm bells for me.

harveyrabbit

Reaction score
PSA- If you are a first time customer at Revolve clothing, you can call their customer service number and request a 30% discount for your purchase. They can process the order and apply the discount to your credit card after a couple of days. This works on Filson. I just ordered a rucksack today and purchased it at the reduced rate.

http://www.revolveclothing.com/brandpages/Filson.jsp?d=Mens&HPsource=Designers_MostPopular

Note: Experience may vary, and I can only account for my own interactions with Revolve. I will let you know when the bag arrives whether I am satisfied with the transaction.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gilt City has $250 for $500, $100 for $200 and $50 for $100 gift cards to onward reserve here http://www.giltcity.com/national/onwardreservenat which will working a nice selection of Filsons (including 256 and 257). Use visa's 25% off referral (google for it, dont have it handy) to get even cheaper. Just bought a large duffle and 2 travel kits for a total of $200 with free shipping. :) Wanted a kit anyway, and the total price hit 500 exactly. Gonna sell one kit to subsidize which would mean about $120 or so for a kit and a duffle. Hell of a deal.

This combined with Sierra Trading Posts 1000 mile boots has made today a hell of a day for copping.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blah... they don't have navy. That's the only color I want.

Still a nice deal from Gilt.

neo7779

Reaction score
I am considering the 257 and wanted to know the 15" MBP would fit in any of the pockets or just in the ones on the walls. Ideally I would like to get a sleeve and have it in the pocket closer (B in the image) to the center. One of the SFbags canvas sleeves. Do you think there would be enough room for that? Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics