• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

converge

Reaction score

I received my 256 yesterday and noticed the brass key clasp was stitched in the INTERIOR pocket in the main zipper compartment...is this the new standard placement for this feature? I thought I had been mailed a defective product, but based off the red 256 pictures above, perhaps this is indeed the correct placement?
Seems illogical to me to have it inside the zipper compartment instead of inside the exterior front pocket.

Any help here? Thanks

My 256, which I bought new in March, has the key clasp stitched in the exterior pocket just like my 257 from 2009. Must be a very recent change.

laundry day

Reaction score
Quote:
On my navy 256, it's in the exterior front pocket. Same with my red 257.

Last edited:

allenmay8

Reaction score
I just received my 256 in the black/tweed combo last week, and have used it everyday since then. Love the bag! My only complaint also has to do with the brass key clasp. Mine is on the exterior pocket, however I find it to be too short. I kind of wish it was long enough to pull my keys out of the bag while still attached. Anyone know of a good way to extend it?

Also, how do you guys carry the bag? I have yet to use the shoulder strap. Every time I try, is just slides right off my shoulder.

hkey777

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing the original briefcase (256) in navy. I would love to see some pictures of one in the wild. Can anyone help a brotha out?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Also, I've read that the navy bags feel flimsier than the original colors. Can anyone shed light on this?

ksv123

Reaction score
Don't know about the navy bags, but I have a tan, 22oz, 256 arriving Monday. I hope it is big enough or it goes up for sale to fund the 257!

ksv123

Reaction score
Oh well I must say the 256 is a beautiful, heavy duty bag for sure, leather is top notch and strap latches are heavy duty. The issue is having to put my 15" MBP in the center compartment because it does not fit in the side compartments. I am highly doubting the MBP would fit in the side compartment of the 257 either since they are the same width. Anybody using the 257 with a 15" MBP in side compartment?

RAYZ-ACE

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 256 in navy and was wondering if filson boot oil would be okay to condition the leather with?

Thanks!

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recs for keeping the red canvas clean? Waxing? Waterproofer spray? Girlfriend is taking the bag but wants to keep it red

converge

Reaction score

Oh well I must say the 256 is a beautiful, heavy duty bag for sure, leather is top notch and strap latches are heavy duty. The issue is having to put my 15" MBP in the center compartment because it does not fit in the side compartments. I am highly doubting the MBP would fit in the side compartment of the 257 either since they are the same width. Anybody using the 257 with a 15" MBP in side compartment?

I have a 256 and 257 and I use a 13" MBP in a thick sleeve. The 13" MBP fits the same (very snug) in the side compartments in either bag (same width). However, it does fit more loosely in the center "pocket" in my 257. I think a 15" MBP would fit in the center pocket of the 257 by itself or in a thin sleeve.

poena

Reaction score
my 15" mbp fits in the inside side sleeves of my 257. no case on it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics