1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. noobzpro

noobzpro Member

any other products i should get to care for the bag? i read about some wax thing for the canvas?

2. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

does anyone treat the underside of the strap in any way. I noticed when I tried a bag on that it was quite slick and was falling off of my shoulder. I am wondering if there is a way to get a bit better traction (so to speak)

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Does anyone use the Sportman bag for travel? I am curious if I could do a 3 day trip in it? i.e. 2 pair of pants, a few button downs, maybe an extra pair of shoes or running shoes.

4. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

I use the small duffle for weekend trips all of the time. A quick size comparison shows the Sportsman's bag is 396 cubic inches larger than the small duffle, so I'd say you will have no problems.

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

If the main purpose is travel, the Medium Travel bag is probably a better choice than the Sportsman bag. Similar external dimensions, but more storage (the obvious downside being fewer pockets). Another potential downside is the curved opening on the Sportsman vs. straight on the Travel Bag. But overall, you can get more in the Travel Bag - I just did a 6 day trip with the travel bag and a rucksack.

1 person likes this.
  6. tomatic

tomatic Senior member

I've done a 7-day leisure trip during summer with the sportsman — so only t-shirts, jeans and toiletry but there was really no place left in the end. Next time i would probably bring a medium travel bag.

7. poena

poena Senior member

I did take sand paper the underside of my 257 shoulder pad. it helped but has gotten smooth again over time.

8. US Grant

US Grant Senior member

Anyone tried waxing/reproofing their Filson Bag? I'm curious for the Tan how much it does/doesn't darken the canvas. I've seen Otter Wax but would like to know if anyone has a recommendation as well- I have a small tin of the Filson wax but am trying to avoid petroleum based on anything I have.

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Common sense says you use the manufacturer's wax to reproof. I have Filson, Barbour and Outback waxed/oiled cotton items. I use the specific makers treatment on their products and don't mix them ever. The last thing I need to find out the hard way is the treatments are not compatible. Treating it will darken it but that is normal and expected.

10. tim y

tim y Member

I was advised from Filson to use something milder than their oil finish wax, like beeswax. I've used the beeswax without any problems. It didn't darken my tan rucksack much at all.

11. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Filson themselves do not rewax their twill or tin cloth luggage.

http://www.filson.com/filson/customer-care/special-services/

Too fiddly, not cost effective or, as mentioned by tim y, maybe they do not recommend it for some reason, such as they are not oil finish items ?

The Filson website shows related items. Obenaufs LP is shown for the briefcases. Filson wax for oil finish jackets and pants. Thinking about it for a short time, Filson do not supply a tin of the wax with the luggage as they do with their oil finish jackets. The instructions with the tin state "clothing and "garments" specifically.

People have tried it before on this forum, never seen before and after images though to see if there are changes in colour or the dry finish. If you do reproof with the oil finish wax maybe take some photos and let us see the results?

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The LP is used to treat the bridle leather trim and straps. It's not used on the material. Straight from Filson's website on the material used to make the twill luggage. "Made from 22-oz. 100% cotton oil finish Rugged Twill with 100% Genuine Bridle Leather. "

I own a fair amount of Tin Cloth coats and jackets. Completely rewaxing a coat takes hours of time and a couple or few tins of wax. The luggage is even harder to do and a 257 can eat up two or 3 tins of oil by itself. I've dealt with Filson for decades and it's only in the last year or so have I been hearing garbage from customer service reps like the BS above about rewaxing your oil finished goods with something other than the Filson oil finish wax.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  13. MrHappyHappy

MrHappyHappy Member

[​IMG]

Filson Small Carry-on 240:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  14. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

No argument on LP being for the leather only. I hope I didn't imply otherwise.

For me the rugged twill is simply not an oil finish product. The rugged twill is made from paraffin wax treated material, but is not an oil finish in the same way as the jackets and luggage that is labelled as oil-finished. The greasy finish is not there on the rugged twill luggage. Presumably impregnated with less wax.

I'd be interested in before and after images to see how it affects colour and finish as I have a strong suspicion that there will be significant change, even if you iron over cloth paper later to remove excess. I'm sceptical and hore than happy to be proved incorrect on this or anything else though.

I have rewaxed Barbour and Filson. Yep, it takes a time and a lot of wax, shame Filson don't sell their wax in larger cans to us mere mortals. The cans they sell are more suited for touch-up work rather than complete rewaxing of large jackets. I've tried some of the more modern waterproofers, such as nikwax cottonproof but they don't work as well and don't lubricate and help protect the cloth against wear as the wax does.

Didn't try the Nikwax on my rugged twill though .. :)

15. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

16. markkohfm

markkohfm Member

Just the flap is wool, I personally think who cares as long as it looks great, the bag is not meant to be a very formal one so why conform to irrelevant fashion convention (you shouldn't be carrying it with formal wear in the first place, if you really cared). But I live in the tropics so I am not in the best position to comment on what the people on the east coast think...

17. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

I just bought a bunch of bags last night for resale on Craigslist and Ebay from Gracious Home. Many Filson items are marked at 50% off, plus there's a 10% discount code. I scored several tin totes in otter green, a few black Sportsman's bags, three of the otter green/tan Original Sportsman combo and a couple of the two-zip travel kits. That's new Filson product at 45% of MSRP, folks!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  18. rydude87

rydude87 Member

most of the selection is gone.

19. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

There are a couple of cool new offerings from FIlson online including a 72-hour tin cloth briefcase and new colors for the padded computer bag.

20. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

I just bought a billykirk padded briefcase from Jcrew. I was hoping the bag would feel as premium as a Filson but it just doesn't. It is a little disappointing. So what makes this billykirk bag retail for $374 while the filson briefcase goes for $249? Is the higher MSRP a premium for two Amish guys to handmake this bag?

The canvas is much lighter than a filson's and the horween leather is really thin and feels a little cheap compared to the heavier leather used in filson bags. The strap isn't even leather. All in all, it doesn't feel as refined. Should I return it and get a blue filson 256 for full price? I got this billykirk for $180, and I'm a sucker for sales, so it's kinda hard to give that up. The one thing I do like about the bag is that it is padded a little so I wouldn't have to worry as much about my laptop.

Link: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation.../16139.jsp?isSaleItem=false&isFromSearch=true

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014