• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brand new 257 is ready for office action

PMac

Reaction score
Quote:
I would like to see some more pictures if you have the time, a few with the contents shown or a list of what you have carried would be helpful. I'm looking to pull the trigger on this before the summer, thanks.

Last edited:

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, a couple weekends in with my otter green 257, and it's the perfect size. First off, it's a perfect messenger bag, it collapses to almost nothing, so that it wasn't much bulkier than a 256, and not heavy at all. Unless it's full, it's never the full 5-6" thick, so I'd definitely say that it feels much more like optional space, rather than undesired space. Maybe a bit overkill on my carry (ipad, book, glasses) but definitely proved to be versatile.

Only thing, if I had my druthers, would be fewer pockets in there. Don't need quite so many places to put things, and it makes it more difficult to find what's in there. Also, because of the handle combiner, I have to wear the bag with it and the top flap facing out. I think this is backward from how the rest of the bag is designed, especially if I put keys on the otherside's key latch.

Contents first weekend as an overnight bag: navy blazer (rolled up), 3 shirts, underwear, socks, pants, dopp kit, book, ipad, chargers, sunglasses, glasses.

Second weekend, I also used it as a dog carrier on the subway (where dogs need to be "confined"). A 10 lb. Havanese who fit comfortably in the bag. Zipped over her back, with her head free and plenty of freedom to stick out. Not so far open that should could just jump out, but no where near to being dangerously confining. She didn't mind the bag as much as she minded the subway being loud, and the dislike of being immobile. The keychain hook made for a great leash securer too.

Anyway, definitely the 257 was the right size, and the dog patina (not from anything nasty mind you) should be pretty unique over time.

mikeman

Reaction score

I'll try to pist some pictures sometime this week. I have yet to use it for travel. But Ill show you just how much stuff it fits.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
which bag is versatile enough would make a good gym bag (relatively light for everyday use) and 3 day travel bag (big enough for a long weekend away)?

Medium Travel Bag: 18" W x 13" H x 11" D

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/726202/[IMG]

Medium Duffle Bag: 25" W x 14" H x 13" D

[IMG]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/726203/

Filson x Levis Duffle Bag: 17" W x 10" H x 10" D

mikeman

Reaction score
^ I would say that the medium duffle is too big. I just got the Medium traveler, and its a great size. Probably a bit big for the gym, but it would work. The levis colab looks nice too.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
definitely the levi's bag or small duffle that size. The Medium is way too big for everyday and is suitable for a week long trip.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh really? medium duffle too big? I don't want something too heavy. What about in terms of organization? I would also like to carry a laptop with my gym gear, is that possible?

mikeman

Reaction score
From what I've seen, the duffle would be too big, plus it doesn't have an organization. The medium traveler has 4 outside pockets, and 2 inside. My laptop (15 inch MBP) fits in one the interior or exterior.
Here's a picture of a stuffed medium duffle.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
holy **** that is HUGE!

Maybe i'll go for the traveller bag then. Any other good options in navy?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not available in navy but the sportsmans is a good option

Definitely don't get the medium duffle. I have one and its enormous. Easily can fit a weeks worth of ****.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a large duffle that I used for a month long trip. I kind of regretting the purchase, it is too big to be used otherwise. :embar:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice.

I have a tan 257. Should i just buy a tan to make up a set or get something in Navy.

I tihnk medium traveller (navy) will do, or small duffle in Tan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads