1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. tim y

tim y Member

I rock my somewhat broken in (2 yrs) 258 to all of my meetings. Suit or no suit, I almost always get a compliment on it. There is always someone in the room who knows what it is and has some story of theirs, or one that they heard from someone about a Filson piece.

2. Alter

Alter Senior member

What is horse therapy? Serious question.

3. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Maybe someone might reflect why on this thread a poster who asks a question must add his intention is "serious"? How many thousands of Japanese juveniles refuse to leave their rooms, isn't there at least one local psychotherapist in Nippon who could advise you? I submitted to concise formulation because the topic here is Filson bags and pictures. Therapy not in the sense I meant as therapy for horses, although if you ask a horse whisperer, perhaps he knows if the horses resent such and feel instrumentalised? By the way, don't you think it's "weird" that Washington DC exhibits more artistic presentations of Signs of the Zodiac than any other city David Ovason knows about, and nobody I asked from DC even heard that about the capital of the United States of America in high school history class? Doesn't everybody where you are know why the flag of Japan shows a rising Sun or the flag of Canada a Maple leaf?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

aaand another person gets blocked.

2 people like this.
  5. Alter

Alter Senior member

I just wanted to indicate to you that it wasn't a loaded question. I rather liked your turn of phrase and I was curious about it. I googled it and found Equine Therapy but I wasn't certain that was what you were referencing. But your comment about psychotherapists would indicate that horse therapy and equine therapy are the same. So, thank you for answering my question.

6. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

You're welcome, dear Altersan! (My own question about omissions in high school history books was serious, too.) Such courteous behavior and hygiene of all Japanese I've encountered in America and Europe is certainly an ideal of mine. Sayonara!
    PS: Since you recognize synonyms and appreciate my feeble attempts on this thread to do justice to high expectations of Filsonian Old Boys, honorable Altersan, for my case I state I am not unaware e q u i n e has nothing to do with Willard, is an English adjective for of or like a horse, Chambers claims it appeared 1788, but I have been busy checking the history of other words (Owen Barfield) and don't know who introduced it where and why. I'm busy researching other words, for example "quality", coined in ancient Greek by Plato. I didn't want to use horsy, victims of fashion have heard of horseshoe, a symbol of good luck, or seen the cowboy models without something ugly and aggressive in or sprouting from their mouths wearing Filson coats in the Filson catalogs.

7. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Two posters above evade Style Forum rules in silliness to indirectly advertise their wares, directly above directly, no doubt because of all those starving children at home. Little brothers of Novartis, whose biggest boss of biggest "earning$" baptised the English word "campu$" as name for the multi's blockbuster lab to heal humanity. It's time for me to get a rest i.e. leftover for loser. + R.I.P. + Instead of flowers, please donate attention to your own thinking. Thanks for the culture shock!

8. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

^ Good riddance

Save you the trouble: An expression of pleasure on being rid of some annoyance - usually an individual.

9. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Dear Fenway,

I was about to write an inquiry to a professor in England who has written an excellent article on the origin and history of terms in a particular scientific discipline, and saw a notice indicating you posted.

I have read your post, and although its Stone Age genre is to be expected as lowest common denominator too big to manage, nevertheless, your imitation of interest in meaning shows promise! You might enhance your horizon by reading the very last lines of Goethe's Faust II sung by the heavenly choir.

Your sale of boots prominently placed at the bottom of your post shows I touched a nerve.

Hoping you get rid of own profit motive and help others
    - you've already made a good start. Your phoney post indirectly reminds me to discontinue notification of posts on this thread (subscription removal). Your advertisement costumed as post to sell those boots made to stomp anyone in Fen's way, jumping like a grasshopper giant, the way species of Giga-mypocketfirst

(footnote for thinking individualities discernable taxonomically from that other species found above: authoritarians allergic to introspection in uniform who consider the world a bootcamp at their disposal)

move - faraway individuals who commercialize for their own pockets, nobody's head. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Promoting? I know a thing or two on how to do that. LOL!

Hey guys and gals I have two of the new large carry on bags. One is tan and the other is navy. I also have a fairly good stock of 256 and 257s as well. You know the drill by now. Oh and don't forget I'm running a flash sale on Wolverine 1Ks too. More info on that can be found in the monster 1K thread.

11. quuz

quuz Senior member

After having read his previous threads and posts I'm afraid he's actually not a troll :paranoia:

12. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

I thought I read somewhere on this thread that certain colors for Filson bags are preferred by SF over others based on their resilience to staining from denim or other such things. What color would you say is preferred and for what reasons? I am looking at purchasing a 70257. I need a bag to carry around a few books, odds and ends, etc. when I'm out and about. I'm leaning currently towards the tan color, but all the colors actually look pretty great.

13. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

The tan is going to show the most denim staining, but, IMO, is the most classic Filson color.

14. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Tan is most classic but will show stains (both denim and otherwise) the most. Green is second most popular, and won't suffer from the same staining...but doesn't have that same classic look. I went for green, and don't regret it.

15. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    3 people like this.
  16. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

LOL! Yes.

1 person likes this.
  17. quuz

quuz Senior member

I do have to admit he's quite amusing though!

ON TOPIC: Been using my 256 more or less every day for the past 3 yars, minimal signs of wear (except denim stains) Seriously, this thing is a tank :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  18. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Naive… you're back?

[​IMG]

please post a picture of your rucksack. I posted a pic of my 257 in the beginning of this thread. I've since have bought some other Filsons and have only kept my zippered tote so far (which is my carry on for trips and go to bag for pretty much everything). Most of the other contributors in this thread have posted theirs.

you can only keep posting and responding so much right? might as well contribute to the thread in a more practical way like actual picks of filsons maybe for the benefit of those who are interested in the pros and cons of owning a filson rucksack.

Personally I've been curious about the rucksack and really am curious to know what and see yours.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  19. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Dear LawrenceMD,

I asked my girlfriend yesterday if she could help me put the photographs I sent Filson (my idea, not disinterested Customer Service representative), but she said she can't. She could take the photos and transfer them to send them by email to me in an attachment, which I sent Filson Customer Service. I had to ask the representative - not just once - to send them to the persons who repair. To place photographs online takes electronic machinery and know-how. I use my tan rucksack anyway, and probably if you saw the bottom, you might even advise me to ignore it. I bought it in 2008. I don't get upset about the ink stains, and I don't wear denim, so I'm surprised to hear of denim stains. (de Nimme F) I assure you I wanted to post the photographs from the start.

From an egoistic viewpoint, the instance that matters isn't here, but the manufacturer Filson, which decides if the guarantee - which the Filson customer service representative introduced into our exchange - covers repair. And also for repair itself - who is going to repair a Filson bag's canvas? The Filson customer representative recommended I get it fixed locally because Filson won't pay shipping. That's an alibi, and abstract - who is going to repair it? He had no idea.

PS: I think long range, and imagine if the canvas continues to wear out, at whatever faster or slower pace, it will have to be repaired because it won't be usable. I'm surprised doubly about the Filson response because anytime in the past I asked by email for product information, all the other customer service representatives were very friendly and helpful. And the initial politeness of the person who replied to my messages was very correct, but then, quicker than the bag's canvas wore out, his responsibility wore out. I cannot explain his behavior. Of course, one might just think, selling bags is one thing, repairing them another.

(At the time I bought the Filson bag there was no doubt its design and manufacture in the state of Wahington were best credentials. But there are many establishments in United Kingdom that offer baggage. Made in UK under human conditions, which for the cash registers here on this thread doesn't count. Nevertheless, if the negative attitude continues, I could find a trustworthy source for a replacement besides Filson. You see from posts on this thread how America becomes more negative. But I think all the other threads on Style Forum except one other, have a friendly and helpful audience. I think the Style Forum administration is responsible for this success - the persons who have the power are the ones who are responsible for how problems are treated.)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  20. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member