• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried Filson's waxed trench coat? I want to use it like a Mile Marker for colder weather but found very few reviews. It doesn't help they upped the price by a cool $100 since 2017 or so...
Watch out, they also started importing it this year. The USA made one was on sale a couple weeks ago as they move all the remaining inventory. I would call a store and try to snag one if you’re really interested. I don’t have a review for you. The trench has never been my style, but I’m sure the quality is great for the USA made version.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was going to post this last week but then I got sicker then I've ever been my whole life, so I missed the opportunity and it sold. Good things like this never last. It appears to be the long lost fraternal twin brother to my Talon Otter Green 257. The only one I've see like it once belonged to @Davey13 and was later sold to @Winston2 .

257 twin 1.PNG

Mine

IMG_2645.JPG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm a day late for my own "Throwback Thursday", but when your sick you get some leeway

My former No.266 with a bottle of Willett Rye. The "Wilson - Filson". In hindsight black grip tape would've looked much better, but at the time I intended on darkening it with conditioner. Not too long after I sold it to @CCF1897 and bought my Talon Otter Green MTB from @GzStudio

IMG_4610.JPG

Last edited:

Winston2

Reaction score
Was going to post this last week but then I got sicker then I've ever been my whole life, so I missed the opportunity and it sold. Good things like this never last. It appears to be the long lost fraternal twin brother to my Talon Otter Green 257. The only one I've see like it once belonged to @Davey13 and was later sold to @Winston2 .

View attachment 1733447

Mine

View attachment 1733448
Thanks again to you and @Davey13! I have been using it a lot. Hope all is well with everyone. Happy New Year and Best Wishes in 2022!

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Seeking expert advice, especially from those with multiple briefcases.

This is going to sound absurd, but the reality is that I have too many briefcases and I think I should pare down. I have:
1 OG 256
1 Navy 256
1 Brown 256
1 Tan 257
1 Tan 24H Duffle

What would you do, if you were me? I'm inclined to keep the 257, and ditch one or two of the 256s based on color--but I'm not sure which color(s) to ditch. I keep the different colors around because they match different outfits/occasions, but I'm not sure there's much purpose in that approach because I can't think of an occasion where one color is warranted while another is a non-option.

(I've accumulated this many colors because I'm the sort who's tough to shop for. So when I seem interested in something, everyone in my life takes note and then inundates me with the something.)

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeking expert advice, especially from those with multiple briefcases.

This is going to sound absurd, but the reality is that I have too many briefcases and I think I should pare down. I have:
1 OG 256
1 Navy 256
1 Brown 256
1 Tan 257
1 Tan 24H Duffle

What would you do, if you were me? I'm inclined to keep the 257, and ditch one or two of the 256s based on color--but I'm not sure which color(s) to ditch. I keep the different colors around because they match different outfits/occasions, but I'm not sure there's much purpose in that approach because I can't think of an occasion where one color is warranted while another is a non-option.

(I've accumulated this many colors because I'm the sort who's tough to shop for. So when I seem interested in something, everyone in my life takes note and then inundates me with the something.)
If I were in your position I would offload the Brown and the Navy 256. I would keep one Otter Green 256, the Tan 257 and Tan 24HR. The reason for this being that both Tan and Otter Green are the original colors of Filson luggage, they're timeless, with Otter Green only being slightly younger. Sure Navy would probably pair better with more formal occasions, but if your motive is to blend in then I say sell the Tan's and replace them with Black, Brown and Navy. We don't carry Filson's to blend in, quite the opposite I say. Much like Tan, Otter Green will patina in a complex way and offer an extended life through character development. I still haven't seen a Navy, Brown or Black offer the patina power of Tan or Otter Green.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy Navy. I wouldn't have owned a Navy 1st edition Journeyman if that were the case. However make me choose between Otter Green and Navy, and I would choose Otter Green all day, it's kinda my thing. :fonz:

Need extra motivation? Here's an old No.256 from my archives, it's what helped get me into Otter Green way back when.

IMG_2929.JPG

Even if you don't have this era 256, you can still enjoy the many different transitions Otter Green has to offer. Brown and Navy just cannot compare.

IMG_2930.JPG

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a couple of listings for your consideration or just enjoyment. The first one being a Tan Talon LTB. It's heavily patinaed and in need of a wash but for that price I think it's worth it

LTB.PNG

This doesn't appear to be the Mackinaw Cruiser and the logo tag titles it as an "All Use Coat". However it is still most certainly a rare find. Observe the green lettering on the logo tag and the pocket layout. The logo tag appears to be as new-like as my 1960 Forestry Cruiser

Mack 1.PNG

The price is unmistakably high, and the overall condition of the wool and at least one of the snaps does not match the unblemished clarity of the Filson Logo Tag. Strange.

Mack 2.PNG

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not bought a “new” Filson bag in quite a while, but when my wife asked for a new duffle for Christmas (she insisted on the Hemlock medium) I was more than happy to oblige. I have to say, I am very impressed. The leather is significantly better than the chocolate brown leather you see on most Filson bags. It’s all thick and all sturdy. The edges are also not finished and painted as much as the typical leather. I must say, I am very pleased (and a little jealous) of her new duffle!

B669C9A3-CA53-4F3F-AF46-FAF6D65DFB95.jpeg

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
I have a tan 257KM from December 2011 (or is it November 2012?) that has some shabby leather: on the underside of one of the straps, the texture is rough and grainy. Can anything be done about this? I applied Saphir Creme Universelle BDC conditioner to it and it's slightly better, but I'm not sure whether I have much recourse in terms of making the leather smoother. Can/should it be sanded? Or is it best to just leave it alone? The other strap is fine.

Attachments

Last edited:

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
I have a tan 257KM from December 2011 that has some shabby leather: on the underside One of the straps, the texture is rough and grainy. Can anything be done about this? I applied Saphir Creme Universelle BDC conditioner to it and it's slightly better, but I'm not sure whether I have much recourse in terms of making the leather smoother. Can/should it be sanded? Or is it best to just leave it alone? The other strap is fine.
I'd just consider it a rougher part of the rough side of the leather. Sanding would smooth it but you'd want to condition it again afterwards; I have done this before with leather and just went carefully, checking often and only taking off the lumpier parts. It didn't take much.

What does the KM mean after 257? I've not seen that before...

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
I'd just consider it a rougher part of the rough side of the leather. Sanding would smooth it but you'd want to condition it again afterwards; I have done this before with leather and just went carefully, checking often and only taking off the lumpier parts. It didn't take much.

What does the KM mean after 257? I've not seen that before...
Thanks for the advice. What kind of sandpaper did you use? I assume you did it by hand?

There's a whole discussion about 257KM earlier in this thread, years ago. @OtterMeanGreen knows the most about it (as usual).

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a tan 257KM from December 2011 that has some shabby leather: on the underside One of the straps, the texture is rough and grainy. Can anything be done about this? I applied Saphir Creme Universelle BDC conditioner to it and it's slightly better, but I'm not sure whether I have much recourse in terms of making the leather smoother. Can/should it be sanded? Or is it best to just leave it alone? The other strap is fine.
Personally I would just leave it alone with the exception of using a conditioner. Sanding it down just seems very unnecessary, especially considering this appears to be the natural occurring patina with this era of bridle. Each era has different variations of bridle, some very good and some very bad. Just be lucky yours isn't from a particular time period and we'll just leave it at that (old debate). Going forward if it really means something to you, then I would say only buying from the early to mid Talon era or the Chestnut YKK Era. If you must buy new, then what modern day Filson has to offer is very strong and unblemished in their bridle leather (2019 to today). However I believe that also comes with its own pitfalls, like lacking character and not showing signs of aging (patina), but they did fix the QC problems, so they deserve the credit. Time will tell with the rest.

Edit:
I've owned Filson's from 2005, 2010, 2013, 2015 and have no complaints with the bridle, but then again I didn't own either for more then a year so I can't speak to their longevity bridle leather wise. I am only suggesting if you were looking for a sure thing leather aging wise, to go for what's already been proven and doing so gracefully. In the end all leather with eventually fail, nothing is eternal.

Last edited:

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Personally I would just leave it alone with the exception of using a conditioner. Sanding it down just seems very unnecessary, especially considering this appears to be the natural occurring patina with this era of bridle. Each era has different variations of bridle, some very good and some very bad. Just be lucky yours isn't from a particular time period and we'll just leave it at that (old debate). Going forward if it really means something to you, then I would say only buying from the early to mid Talon era or the Chestnut YKK Era. If you must buy new, then what modern day Filson has to offer is very strong and unblemished in their bridle leather (2019 to today). However I believe that also comes with its own pitfalls, like lacking character and not showing signs of aging (patina), but they did fix the QC problems, so they deserve the credit. Time will tell with the rest.

Edit:
I've owned Filson's from 2005, 2010, 2013, 2015 and have no complaints with the bridle, but then again I didn't own either for more then a year so I can't speak to their longevity bridle leather wise. I am only suggesting if you were looking for a sure thing leather aging wise, to go for what's already been proven and doing so gracefully. In the end all leather with eventually fail, nothing is eternal.
Thanks for the info. Didn't know this was natural patina, so I'll leave as-is.

What does "Chestnut YKK" refer to? Mine does have YKK-branded zippers. Here's a picture of the tag, as well, if this helps. If I look for another 257, should I try to look for something similar to what I have?

Edit: Wait, having done some sleuthing it looks like "Chestnut YKK" refers to chestnut-colored bridle leather from the very early bags (early 2000s)?

Attachments

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Didn't know this was natural patina, so I'll leave as-is.

What does "Chestnut YKK" refer to? Mine does have YKK-branded zippers. Here's a picture of the tag, as well, if this helps. If I look for another 257, should I try to look for something similar to what I have?

Edit: Wait, having done some sleuthing it looks like "Chestnut YKK" refers to chestnut-colored bridle leather from the very early bags (early 2000s)?
It might not be everyone's preference but I like the chestnut years more in Tan then in Otter Green

chestnut 1.PNG

chestnut 2.PNG

Featured Sponsor

Friday Challenge "Suited and Booted" VOTE NOW

• An Acute Style

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Bernoulli

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Brennenman

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • cr2596

Votes: 3 5.5%