1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Update on this, they sent me a new bag after I sent back the original one that was repaired. I'm assuming they are going to repair it and it is going to end up at that outlet.

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Sorry, dry waxed cotton won't rust a gun. The gun was wet or had condensation on it and./or the inside of the case was damp and/or the gun was not properly wiped down and oiled before storing it.

3. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

That is the reason given to me by Filson when I asked why it changed the material inside the grip case. The same goes for the long cases. They are now lined with an unwaxed material as well.

Perhaps the waxed material didn't do the rusting but the unwaxed cotton will at least allow moisture to be pulled away from the steel.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

That's what they told you. It's also a load of crap. They changed the interior of the pistol case because it's now an ipad case. Can't have any oily wax on those touch screens can we? They changed the material in the gun cases because it's a cheaper material. The wax used to waterproof the fabric is paraffin based which does not cause steel to rust. The material for the gun case is not the problem and never would be. The problem is poor firearms maintenance and care. I've used Filson gun cases for decades on blued guns and never had an issue. Then again I never put a gun in a wet case or a wet gun in a dry case. Rust on a firearm is neglect plain and simple.

5. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

I am glad we agree!!!

6. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Today (12/8) only: 40% off Filson bags at Brooks Brothers. Just kopped a tan 256. Unfortunately it won't ship 'til Feb. 10, but at such a nice price, I don't mind the wait.

7. Businessness

Businessness Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, did you notice the price of the small duffle is the same as for the large duffle. Is that a mistake?

8. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Hot damn. Just copped a large duffle and tote bag for $230 shipped.

Psyched.

9. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

So I guess they had fucked up their pricing, cause now the large duffle is at 306 on its own.

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Agree, although I never use a gun case for long term storage but put them in the safe with a dehumidify where they belong. The Boyt green cotton cases were very common when I was younger and many people would open them before hunting season to find their guns rusted. Because they put them in there still wet from the year before LOL.

I do like my Filson gun cases, wish they offered them in brown though.
    [​IMG]

I prefer to keep the gun cases hidden from public view if possible.
    [​IMG]

11. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

My Filson rucksack or backsack - I just checked their website and believe it's the model #70262 - projecting metal at the opposie corners on the bottom, along with frayed canvas. Haa anyone else a similar problem?

I wrote Filson, but despite polite repkies had to request more than once that my photographs of the damaged bag be forwarded to the persons who repair. I mean, if the Filson customer service isn't prepared to state if and hoe much repair costa, maybe the persons who do bag repair for Filsob will. I hope so!

(Sorry about typographic errors due to mobile phone.)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  12. forex

forex Senior member

I have an ink stain on my laptop bag, anyone knows how I can get it out? I would rather have it out even if it discolorates. What should I use? Please advise.

13. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

And now the large (non-wheeled) duffle isn't even on the site. I'm really hoping they'll honor it.

Anyone know how good or bad BB is for honoring what could potentially be considered a pricing mistake? I would have to imagine that they're better than most, given their size and following.

14. vestbash

vestbash Senior member

Brooks honored the price plus 40% off for me.

15. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

How do you know? Nothing is coming up in my order history, although I did get an emailed receipt.

16. vestbash

vestbash Senior member

I bought the duffle from them several weeks ago when they were running a different promotion. I bought it in store and it was tagged with a price of $258 and rung up as $258.

17. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Very happy to hear it. I already own the medium, so this'll be a nice move towards the full set (when I actually pony up to check a bag).

Contemplating the padded laptop bag right now...it's either that or the Teranishi Daytripper.

1 person likes this.
  18. vestbash

vestbash Senior member

I've contemplated that daytripper, it's killer. I landed up buying a filson computer bag too, so I can't justify more luggage right now.

19. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

I have many ink stains on my bag, too, but I have no idea how to remove them. Since my bag began to disintegrate at its bottom, the ink stains bother me less. I bought it around 2008.

20. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Is what you call the old rucksack #70262?