• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Awesome, I never had the 257 and it seems like a solid design. I've had some Filson duffel and totes in my possession before, but haven't had a bag in awhile.

They marked it up because it was nice looking, but got it for about $40.

They are! Vivobarefoot leather trainers. I've been working out and running in barefoot shoes for about 10 years now and they've always made my feet feet awesome and strong. I like my Alden and Red Wings, but I wear these often casually to give my feet a break. Which did you get?

Best briefcase on the market I think, at least one that can last a lifetime and stand out in a sea of Frank Cleggs & Ballistics. It’s the perfect middle ground of the No.256 & the No.258. Sure Vermilyea Pelle makes some really great stuff too, using some slightly better materials, but i continue to argue that it’s a close copy of Filson. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery they say. That all being said, as superior the Twill weight and leather is, we will never know just how long VP’s will last until much more time passes, because they just haven’t been around long enough to say as a matter of fact. (Rant over)

$40 is still the best price I’ve ever seen before, and the condition looks like it was beautifully preserved. Any mustiness? My No.257 is from around the mid 1990’s, and was accompanied by a wonderful vintage smell (like an Army Navy store). But there are cases of mustiness being much worse, to the point of either selling it or demusting it with methods we’ve established.

Haha I actually originally predicted Vivo’s but edited my post. That’s awesome btw! Barefoots are so beneficial and I’m hoping they fix my foot conditions I’ve been suffering with most of my life. I have Lems, which are more Minimalists then Barefoots. One day I’ll graduate to your level :fonz:

15C450B0-78D4-4A03-AA13-F06B79C2FAD7.jpeg

Love the style and the company message. It’s a very small team of about 9 people out in Boulder, Colorado. The version I have features Suede instead of the vegan material all of the other colors utilizes.

640CD87A-AB61-4E13-8970-68C501F5113E.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well checking luggage section at the thrifts for the past 5 years have finally paid off with a great condition 70257. Not as big money as the Rimowa I've found, but I'm more excited about this.

View attachment 1718297

If you wouldn’t mind can you post some more shots, namely the zippers, build tag (little white tag inside bag), and the inside branding label? I’m curious to see just how fortunate you are, aside from acquiring a beautiful discontinued example of craftsmanship and innovation. Thanks!!!

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen It smalls great, haha, I wear a lot of vintage workwear so I'm really familiar with getting must out of things, but this can come straight into my house without stinking things up. It's got the right amount of patina, the previous owner used it and got some patina on it, but aged it carefully with no major rips stains or holes.

Nice Lems! I have had a few of those and they are excellent.

Here's some additional photos with my Filson hat for color reference. I don't know enough about Filson to date it, but the first thing I do when I find things in the thrifts is look at the zippers, as that's a good indication of age. They are not Talon but also not YKK branded, but appear to be YKK to my eyes? With the tag, maybe I'd guess and date it around 2010 - 2015?

IMG_20211212_092540.jpg

IMG_20211212_092559.jpg

IMG_20211212_092606.jpg

IMG_20211212_092623.jpg

IMG_20211212_092633~2.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen It smalls great, haha, I wear a lot of vintage workwear so I'm really familiar with getting must out of things, but this can come straight into my house without stinking things up. It's got the right amount of patina, the previous owner used it and got some patina on it, but aged it carefully with no major rips stains or holes.

Here's some additional photos with my Filson hat for color reference. I don't know enough about Filson to date it, but the first thing I do when I find things in the thrifts is look at the zippers, as that's a good indication of age. They are not Talon but also not YKK branded, but appear to be YKK to my eyes? With the tag, maybe I'd guess and date it around 2010 - 2015?

View attachment 1718554

View attachment 1718555

View attachment 1718557

View attachment 1718558

View attachment 1718559

Excellent!! I've said it many times before that I must have "The Must", but I get there's good must and bad must, I definitely have the former. If I could bottle it up I'd use it as a cologne. :lol:

Loving that brass patina on the zippers, you could tell whoever had this prior to you treated it right. BTW your No.70257 was built during the month of October and the year 2014 (1014). That's actually around the time I got into Filson myself after seeing a beautifully patinaed Tan Talon No.258 in OUTSIDE Magazine. Spring 2015 I bought a Bedrock No.70258 in Tan. I ended up exchanging it for an Otter Green 24HR. The year 2014 was a good year for Filson bridle leather, so it should treat you just right.

Thanks! I'm loving the experience so far; I can already feel my feet strengthening. The first day after wearing them for 2 hours my feet were so exhausted lol.

The Filson advertisement photo that got me into Filson...and later the Talon Era

IMG_4478.JPG

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Excellent!! I've said it many times before that I must have "The Must", but I get there's good must and bad must, I definitely have the former. If I could bottle it up I'd use it as a cologne. :lol:

Loving that brass patina on the zippers, you could tell whoever had this prior to you treated it right. BTW your No.70257 was built during the month of October and the year 2014 (1014). That's actually around the time I got into Filson myself after seeing a beautifully patinaed Tan Talon No.258 in OUTSIDE Magazine. Spring 2015 I bought a Bedrock No.70258 in Tan. I ended up exchanging it for an Otter Green 24HR. The year 2014 was a good year for Filson bridle leather, so it should treat you just right.

Thanks! I'm loving the experience so far; I can already feel my feet strengthening. The first day after wearing them for 2 hours my feet were so exhausted lol.

The Filson advertisement photo that got me into Filson...and later the Talon Era

View attachment 1718602

Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I'll be sure to update with some photos as it continues to age.

singjai

Reaction score

View attachment 1718554

View attachment 1718555

View attachment 1718557

View attachment 1718558

View attachment 1718559
Sweet bag. Wonder how close our 257s were to each other on the production line.

E3028AC0-7563-452C-A2BA-F2461E109662.jpeg

EB00500F-9E21-46DB-BEC9-9E822E242BC3.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

singjai

Reaction score
Coincidentally that's also when you joined this forum and started posting soon after. Is that your original 70257 from that period in time?
Dang really good eye. I didn’t even realize that lol. Yes this is my first Filson and still using it. I actually joined when I found out about this brand when shopping around for briefcases and bought it a few months after.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang really good eye. I didn’t even realize that lol. Yes this is my first Filson and still using it. I actually joined when I found out about this brand when shopping around for briefcases and bought it a few months after.

Glad to hear it, to still have your first Filson after that long is truly something. That's one thing I highly regret, selling my 24HR or even trading in my No.70258 in the first place. To think of the need I now have for either one of those bags for my Range Bag. I also recently missed out on a unique opportunity to buy a beautifully preserved Motto Tag Otter Green No.258 for less then $245.

On a side note, do you recall the other briefcases that were in contention to your future 70257?

singjai

Reaction score
Glad to hear it, to still have your first Filson after that long is truly something. That's one thing I highly regret, selling my 24HR or even trading in my No.70258 in the first place. To think of the need I now have for either one of those bags for my Range Bag. I also recently missed out on a unique opportunity to buy a beautifully preserved Motto Tag Otter Green No.258 for less then $245.

On a side note, do you recall the other briefcases that were in contention to your future 70257?
Well the 70257 is a tool bag now. I sold my 256 and 258 since there was no need for them. Thought I would have liked the 256 thin profile but didn’t end up being the case. My talon 257 is now my “work” briefcase but it hasn’t seen any use since WFH lol. Selling it crosses my mind here and there but for now I’m keeping it. Don't think I’d ever sell my 70257 though.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the 70257 is a tool bag now. I sold my 256 and 258 since there was no need for them. Thought I would have liked the 256 thin profile but didn’t end up being the case. My talon 257 is now my “work” briefcase but it hasn’t seen any use since WFH lol. Selling it crosses my mind here and there but for now I’m keeping it. Don't think I’d ever sell my 70257 though.
We’ve been back in the office for 6 months now and that’s the only “perk”. Got back to using my daily drivers and I do love that. I recently switched back to my weatherproof 256 and am really enjoying it.

Also my coats, jackets and sweaters see the use that they deserve which is nice.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some eBay finds for your consideration....or enjoyment

Otter Green No.242 with tags still attached. Don't know if it's a first edition or even a Talon Era, because there is only one photo (and another stock one). I wonder if that's the final price, or we can see a significant drop when it just sits at this price.

242.PNG

Give this man a gold star!! This might be the best backdrop for a Filson listing I've ever seen

257.PNG

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some eBay finds for your consideration....or enjoyment

Otter Green No.242 with tags still attached. Don't know if it's a first edition or even a Talon Era, because there is only one photo (and another stock one). I wonder if that's the final price, or we can see a significant drop when it just sits at this price.

View attachment 1719929

Give this man a gold star!! This might be the best backdrop for a Filson listing I've ever seen

View attachment 1719930
That guy is asking $1,699 for a 242? I’ll sell you MY talon era 242 for a lot less than that!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That guy is asking $1,699 for a 242? I’ll sell you MY talon era 242 for a lot less than that!

Yup and for that price you only get one actual picture to look at. Don't forget the $29.99 shipping charge...because clearly he's not making enough of a profit margin to just include it in the listing price. When I'm preparing to list an item I always research what the average price of my item is and then try to offer a cost savings advantage, while still staying profitable. From the looks of things this seller went the opposite direction.

Question: Does that look like an natural spot to place a tag from the manufacturer, through one of the bridle strap holes?

Last edited:

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Question: Does that look like an natural spot to place a tag from the manufacturer, through one of the bridle strap holes?

It seems a very easy and convenient place to replace and reinsert a tag... and for the same reason, a daft and self-defeating place to position a tag since it can so easily be repositioned through such a large hole. The ticketing guns do have a large needle but it's not like they're tagging a garment made of silk; there exist zero reasons at all to tag such a tough item through a pre-existing yuge hole since any tag gun holes made in the twill shall disappear very rapidly after tagging, and especially after a few moments of real world use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads