• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI those with AAFES access, there is a 15% code for today.
finally ordered a tan medium duffle and brown dopp kitt :slayer:

i wasnt sure about which color dopp kit to order, but i didnt want all my filson bags to be in tan. I think it would be way too coordinated :D

Orange44

Reaction score
After a couple of weeks with my 256 briefcase my only complaint is that the shoulder strap is too long. Wish there was an easier way to shorten it without punching more holes.

WestLinn

Reaction score
After a couple of weeks with my 256 briefcase my only complaint is that the shoulder strap is too long. Wish there was an easier way to shorten it without punching more holes.

I have a 257 bag and I find the strap length to be inconvenient at times too. Mainly when entering or exiting my car with it. The incline of my driveway, the fact that I usually leave with a cup of coffee in my hands, and that I am not the most coordinated individual at 7 am contributes to this however.

I will admit to being new to this site and that I need to post some pictures of my well worn computer bag. Given the durability it has given me however, I will gladly forgive it's shoulder strap inconveniences. If anyone should be complaining, it's the bag for the fact that I constantly mistreat it, spill coffee on it and give it total disregard when stowing it on airplanes. In terms of hierarchy, my beautiful wife has forgiven my misgivings for 23 years, my Weber grill for 18 years (and it has just given up the ghost), followed by my Filson 257 for 15 years. Thank goodness I choose my companions carefully.

Islander

Reaction score
257 and Pullman (12-day carry on combo)

Last edited:

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you guys mix and match your filson bag colors or keep them all consistent?
now im second guessing whether i should have gotten a brown or tan dopp kit to match my tan bags....went with brown....

:embar:

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally can't think of going for either brown or tan after using my otter 257 for a year and a half, love the patina and richness of the canvas, and the contrast to the brown leather.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I took my 257 to a local shoe repair guy who punched some additional holes in the strap. Actually didn't charge me anything and now it's a perfect height for carrying. Before, the bag was far too low.

mcbrown

Reaction score

do you guys mix and match your filson bag colors or keep them all consistent?
now im second guessing whether i should have gotten a brown or tan dopp kit to match my tan bags....went with brown....

:embar:

It's personal preference, nothing more. I haven't given any thought to matching, just the usage of the individual bag. I own a briefcase in brown because I think it is the most discrete option for business settings, a rucksack in green just because I prefer the look of that particular bag in green over tan, and a pullman in green just because I purchased second hand and that happened to be the first color available at the time I was looking for one.

If you wanted a coordinated set I couldn't really argue with you, but it's not something I personally care to have.

milw50717

Reaction score

I took my 257 to a local shoe repair guy who punched some additional holes in the strap. Actually didn't charge me anything and now it's a perfect height for carrying. Before, the bag was far too low.

Yep. Any cobbler should be able to do it in no time flat.

It's a pretty easy thing to do yourself if you want

Or if nothing better

Hardest thing is getting the hole exactly where you want it, but they have rulers to assist with that !

poena

Reaction score
just curious how tall you guys are that the strap isn't short enough

Orange44

Reaction score
I'm 5' 8" and use the shortest hole. I wish the strap was a couple of inches shorter. I may have to punch a new hole or two in the strap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads