• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTB spotting in film. Criminal Minds Season 10 episode 13, Gideon’s duffle that has his final collection of items after he’s been murdered. Always fun to organically have a Filson find after watching 10.5 seasons of a show!
Caught a John Meacham documentary called the "Soul of America". Meacham is a history professor at Vanderbilt. And, a former member of the media. Anyway, in a couple of scenes he's carrying a large duffle and carrying it on an airplane (pre-covid) :thumbs-up:. Pretty sure it was a gently worn tan color one.

He's probably late 50s to 60. So, makes me feel good that I'll be able to haul one of these beasts when I get older, lol.

I'll try to get a screenshot of it b/c my wife is trying to get a member of the family to watch it.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally finished my knife build. I thought I was going to get away with having my new Casey Lynch Northwest Deep Carry Clip pair up with my .45ACP lanyard stud, but that was not in the cards. So I ordered a solid copper spiral stopper from Flytanium and it lines up perfectly with my clip.

View attachment 1489396

View attachment 1489397

It’s already showing excellent patina the way that solid copper does

View attachment 1489402
So what does the copper piece accomplish? Does it just fill the hole where something else could be attached? Sorry for the new year question, the knife I carry hasn’t been changed since I took it home from the store. Haha

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what does the copper piece accomplish? Does it just fill the hole where something else could be attached? Sorry for the new year question, the knife I carry hasn’t been changed since I took it home from the store. Haha
No worries. It's a stopper that takes the place of the oversized lanyard hole on the Para 3 (and Paramilitary 2). Since I carry this by pocket clip, having a lanyard isn't too useful for me, plus takes away from the concealment feature of a deep carry clip. It's a pretty big piece that required me to dissemble the knife for installation

11E12C79-EBC3-44F0-8AC1-09EF80F935FE.jpeg

D0BD0919-1BCA-4896-8735-A6B2644D12F1.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks in the US - ie most of you here!
I wish you all peace, health and happiness today as voting takes place. The rest of us are watching, and hope for a positive future for you, whatever the outcome.

Not my bag or my pic but seems suitable!
76C25012-9A53-4055-9C5F-46E8F91E381D.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish you all peace, health and happiness today as voting takes place. The rest of us are watching, and hope for a positive future for you, whatever the outcome.

View attachment 1489764
Thanks Speedy. I wanted to share a quote I just learned from a Nobel Peace Prize Laureate from Myanmar. No matter who wins, hopefully the people can take back this Country and those watching will hopefully follow suit. From the dark days that we all have observed this past year, something really needs to be done before it is too late. Then we can finally get back to some of the things we once loved so much, simple things like packing a Filson bag on a work trip or vacation.

"DEMOCRACY IS WHEN THE PEOPLE KEEP A GOVERNMENT IN CHECK"
- Aung San Suu Kyi (State Counselor of Myanmar)

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Thanks, Speedy. I appreciate the well placed sentiments and I am hoping for the same. Nice post. Nice bag.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1489764
For me, I often find myself feeling like politics and voting is a burden, but the truth is that it’s an incredible privilege that we, collectively, have the right to vote for the America we want to live in. In the past few decades it has taken a hard turn for extremism, of which I am not fond, but still incredibly thankful that my voice and my opinion matters. Thanks for the acknowledgment @speedy611.

I hope that regardless of the outcomes from this election we will remember that we are all playing for the same team.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
For me, I often find myself feeling like politics and voting is a burden, but the truth is that it’s an incredible privilege that we, collectively, have the right to vote for the America we want to live in. In the past few decades it has taken a hard turn for extremism, of which I am not fond, but still incredibly thankful that my voice and my opinion matters. Thanks for the acknowledgment @speedy611.

I hope that regardless of the outcomes from this election we will remember that we are all playing for the same team.
Here! Here!

Rymanocerous

Reaction score

Privileges can also be burdens. Just like how Rights aren't completely devoid of responsibilities and consequences.

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
Finally finished my knife build. I thought I was going to get away with having my new Casey Lynch Northwest Deep Carry Clip pair up with my .45ACP lanyard stud, but that was not in the cards. So I ordered a solid copper spiral stopper from Flytanium and it lines up perfectly with my clip.

View attachment 1489396

View attachment 1489397

It’s already showing excellent patina the way that solid copper does

View attachment 1489402
This turned out really nice. Disappointed with how temporary the edge on my Bugout has been. Needs a sharpen but I'm still rusty and worried about mucking up the PVD coating like yours has. So mine hasnt been seeing any action as of late.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This turned out really nice. Disappointed with how temporary the edge on my Bugout has been. Needs a sharpen but I'm still rusty and worried about mucking up the PVD coating like yours has. So mine hasnt been seeing any action as of late.
As a good friend of mine says often about his knives; "Just remember they are tools made to be used". I'm not too worried about the coating as this was never intended to be a showcase piece, but something that I can use for (hopefully) many decades to come. I'm excited to see the patina process on the steel and micarta along the way.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a good friend of mine says often about his knives; "Just remember they are tools made to be used". I'm not too worried about the coating as this was never intended to be a showcase piece, but something that I can use for (hopefully) many decades to come. I'm excited to see the patina process on the steel and micarta along the way.
That's one of the reasons why I love the Opinels. Especially the carbon steel ones. Sharpen to an INCREDIBLY sharp point and fun to play with.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that waxing a Filson is a controversial topic around here. Either you're in one camp or the other. I know it can come out looking unfazed, as some have provided decent examples of this, but it can also go the other way like what I am about to share. The fact that it might come out looking this waxy is a good example of me not attempting it. I'll stick with Scotch Guard Fabric protector if and when that day comes.

so waxy.PNG

CCF1897

Reaction score
I know that waxing a Filson is a controversial topic around here. Either you're in one camp or the other. I know it can come out looking unfazed, as some have provided decent examples of this, but it can also go the other way like what I am about to share. The fact that it might come out looking this waxy is a good example of me not attempting it. I'll stick with Scotch Guard Fabric protector if and when that day comes.

View attachment 1490626
[/QUOTE
Take a heat gun or hair dryer to that or lay it in the sun and it'll be fine w/in a day. In my opinion (and i have waxed a lot of twill and waxed cotton across many brands) that bag was just waxed and given very little time to dry before pics were taken.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a possibility. That’s why I said there have been some decent examples in the past. However in my once extensive research into waxing back in 2017, the results of the picture posted have been the final outcome after drying in more then a few re-waxing’s among older members, which is why I look at it as unfavorable (to me personally). To each their own though, stick to what works I say.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.