• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Weird. I ordered off the menu from them and received my bags three days before scheduled.

was your order updated in the website? mine still says order is pending, I purchased last week.. :(

Brooks

Reaction score

^ Not heavy at all compared to my large Saddleback ;)

Looking at the weight difference it's only a 1.5 lbs between the two but I know I would feel the difference. Plus the Saddleback briefcase has 3 more inches so you could potentially fit 1.5 times more stuff in it than the 257. I still want a Saddleback briefcase but I really don't think I would use it as an EDC, especially since it doesn't have as many little pockets to organize my various things.

Brooks

Reaction score
Does anyone else have YKK zippers on their bags? One of my bags has Filson labeled zippers and y the other has YKK. Just curious.

adg

Reaction score
With the 257 and 258 computer bags, have any of you had issues with the zipper scratching your laptop or electronics? I'd like to use either the 257 or 258 to carry a 15" MacBook Pro, and also to put a camera insert inside the bag. My concern is that when I'm taking my camera or laptop in and out of the bag, the zipper could wreak havoc on the aluminum surfaces. If that's the case, I know I could avoid scratching by carefully removing and inserting my gear into the bag, but that would be kind of be a bummer.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With the 257 and 258 computer bags, have any of you had issues with the zipper scratching your laptop or electronics? I'd like to use either the 257 or 258 to carry a 15" MacBook Pro, and also to put a camera insert inside the bag. My concern is that when I'm taking my camera or laptop in and out of the bag, the zipper could wreak havoc on the aluminum surfaces. If that's the case, I know I could avoid scratching by carefully removing and inserting my gear into the bag, but that would be kind of be a bummer.

I only carry my work computer in my 256, which is not the bag(s) you are asking about, but I would be more careful with my personal laptop. I think the zippers could scratch the finish.

Brooks

Reaction score

My 2009 257 has YKK zippers and my 2011 246 has Filson zippers.

Are these three years you bought them out the years they were made? If it's the year they were made, where would I check my bag to see what years they were made?

converge

Reaction score

Are these three years you bought them out the years they were made? If it's the year they were made, where would I check my bag to see what years they were made?

That's when I bought them, both from Crane's. But unless they were sitting on the shelf for a long time (I believe the 246 had to be ordered from Filson), that's probably the year they were made as well.

cking

Reaction score

Like Winston S. I also only use my 257 for work. I used to have leave one of those tiny usb receiver on my laptop and after a while the zipper managed to demolish it. So you definitely want to be careful with your electronics when inserting and taking it out of the 257.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like Winston S. I also only use my 257 for work. I used to have leave one of those tiny usb receiver on my laptop and after a while the zipper managed to demolish it. So you definitely want to be careful with your electronics when inserting and taking it out of the 257.

My Logitech unify USB receiver occasionally falls off my laptop also (positioned on the side). I usually find it at the bottom of the sleeve I put the laptop in.

ircfas133

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to properly clean a Filson bag? I suppose water is not okay...

Brooks

Reaction score

That's when I bought them, both from Crane's. But unless they were sitting on the shelf for a long time (I believe the 246 had to be ordered from Filson), that's probably the year they were made as well.

That's interesting. Do you (or any one else) know why there's these variances? Were they original produced by YKK and then eventually made "in house"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads