Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

was your order updated in the website? mine still says order is pending, I purchased last week.. :(

2. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

Looking at the weight difference it's only a 1.5 lbs between the two but I know I would feel the difference. Plus the Saddleback briefcase has 3 more inches so you could potentially fit 1.5 times more stuff in it than the 257. I still want a Saddleback briefcase but I really don't think I would use it as an EDC, especially since it doesn't have as many little pockets to organize my various things.

3. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

Does anyone else have YKK zippers on their bags? One of my bags has Filson labeled zippers and y the other has YKK. Just curious.

4. converge

converge Senior member

My 2009 257 has YKK zippers and my 2011 246 has Filson zippers.

5. adg

adg Member

With the 257 and 258 computer bags, have any of you had issues with the zipper scratching your laptop or electronics? I'd like to use either the 257 or 258 to carry a 15" MacBook Pro, and also to put a camera insert inside the bag. My concern is that when I'm taking my camera or laptop in and out of the bag, the zipper could wreak havoc on the aluminum surfaces. If that's the case, I know I could avoid scratching by carefully removing and inserting my gear into the bag, but that would be kind of be a bummer.

6. classicgrey

classicgrey Well-Known Member

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I only carry my work computer in my 256, which is not the bag(s) you are asking about, but I would be more careful with my personal laptop. I think the zippers could scratch the finish.

8. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

Are these three years you bought them out the years they were made? If it's the year they were made, where would I check my bag to see what years they were made?

9. converge

converge Senior member

That's when I bought them, both from Crane's. But unless they were sitting on the shelf for a long time (I believe the 246 had to be ordered from Filson), that's probably the year they were made as well.

10. cking

cking Active Member

Like Winston S. I also only use my 257 for work. I used to have leave one of those tiny usb receiver on my laptop and after a while the zipper managed to demolish it. So you definitely want to be careful with your electronics when inserting and taking it out of the 257.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

My Logitech unify USB receiver occasionally falls off my laptop also (positioned on the side). I usually find it at the bottom of the sleeve I put the laptop in.

12. jeannoob

jeannoob Senior member

Wow fishing with style. Do fishermen usually wear raw denim when fly fishing ? :p

13. classicgrey

classicgrey Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Raw denim needs to be beat up so it breaks in well. I get great fades walking through brush and timber on the way to the water.

14. ircfas133

ircfas133 Senior member

Does anyone know how to properly clean a Filson bag? I suppose water is not okay...

15. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

That's interesting. Do you (or any one else) know why there's these variances? Were they original produced by YKK and then eventually made "in house"?