• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m in. I’ve never made a bag, but I’m fairly mastered with commercial sewing for upholstery so maybe I can knock the 48 hours down to...46 hours..? We can do this! Whiskey will make it faster too, plus each bag will be one of a kind sizes and features the more whiskey consumed.
Yea, since it was my idea, do you mind if we build mine first? By the time the whiskey flows yours might look like a 54 hour bag, er, shirt

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I need to know - what was the number needed? It crossed my mind earlier today even.
I don’t believe we even got a definitive answer out of them. The Filson of today might entertain the idea of a custom bag for a corporate order of hundreds, but not the maybe 15-20 that we could come up with. The Filson of old probably would have done it.

thewinedown

Reaction score
I don’t believe we even got a definitive answer out of them. The Filson of today might entertain the idea of a custom bag for a corporate order of hundreds, but not the maybe 15-20 that we could come up with. The Filson of old probably would have done it.
That's crazy. Boot/shoemakers will do group MTOs typically if you just get 10 or so.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's crazy. Boot/shoemakers will do group MTOs typically if you just get 10 or so.
Some of them, sometimes. And often, they screw them up because the basic fact is that most of these companies are not set up to consistently produce one offs.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is an answer from the famed Filson CS department.

A564BBC9-FEBB-4992-9EC0-A0C6F662013F.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is an answer from the famed Filson CS department.

View attachment 1447452
Good work Tinman!
We could do a “fan fiction” version - buy our own Twill, leather and zips, then find a cobbler to make it. We might have to sacrifice a current 48 to serve as a pattern. Bet the cost per bag wouldn’t be all that high either.
Also we could size up by 5% or whatever if we wanted.
How hard could it be...?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other and more expensive way: find a Filson large duffle as the donor bag. Hack ‘n’ sew and voila - instant FRD. You’d need zips but that’s all. Quite a tempting idea really. We could find a compliant cobbler, agree a pattern and then mail him/her our duffles.

seven20

Reaction score
The other and more expensive way: find a Filson large duffle as the donor bag. Hack ‘n’ sew and voila - instant FRD. You’d need zips but that’s all. Quite a tempting idea really. We could find a compliant cobbler, agree a pattern and then mail him/her our duffles.
I think you need to make some phone calls. This one is sorted and ready to roll

CEPVV

Reaction score
On an unrelated note: does anyone in this thread have any experience with The Superior Labor?
I was specifically looking at one of their snap wallets to serve as a protective case for my Sennheiser earphones (IE 800 S).
The only thing I'm unsure of is how much force the stud closure requires. If it's too much, that defeats the purpose of the case.
View attachment 1389351
Before someone suggests Filson's snap wallet; I've got one but the leather is too soft for protective purposes. Now the older stiffer snap wallet would have sufficed, but alas it's been discontinued... :(
They're fairly easy to open and the leather is stiff enough (without being too stiff) to protect the contents. I recommend getting it here if you haven't already: https://www.nomadostore.com/products/the-superior-labor-small-purse?_pos=2&_sid=9dd6ac9cc&_ss=r

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good work Tinman!
We could do a “fan fiction” version - buy our own Twill, leather and zips, then find a cobbler to make it. We might have to sacrifice a current 48 to serve as a pattern. Bet the cost per bag wouldn’t be all that high either.
Also we could size up by 5% or whatever if we wanted.
How hard could it be...?
I could keep my eye out for a cheap aftermarket 48. I’ve found them for $125 before on rare occasions so even our template may not be that expensive if the costs were **** among the group. We could also choose our leather and wouldn’t be stuck with the brittle stuff they sometimes use these days. This idea is getting better and better...

Stratkat

Reaction score
I could keep my eye out for a cheap aftermarket 48. I’ve found them for $125 before on rare occasions so even our template may not be that expensive if the costs were **** among the group. We could also choose our leather and wouldn’t be stuck with the brittle stuff they sometimes use these days. This idea is getting better and better...
Why not contact Vermilyea Pelle and ask if the can reverse engineer one. Tell them what you’d like to have done. Perhaps the can come up with something similar but not and exact reproduction. I’d be in for one

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not contact Vermilyea Pelle and ask if the can reverse engineer one. Tell them what you’d like to have done. Perhaps the can come up with something similar but not and exact reproduction. I’d be in for one
I mean they are already able to essentially copy the 256, I doubt the 48hr would be hard for them to also copy.

seven20

Reaction score
I mean they are already able to essentially copy the 256, I doubt the 48hr would be hard for them to also copy.
How is their version of the twill? It looks nice in pics

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads