Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. deem

deem Senior member

I figured lol, but I'll pm you after I decide because it will make it less likely that I just keep both haha

2. mythage

mythage Senior member

If anybody picked up a tan 256 or 257 from the Brooks Brothers sale earlier today and end up not liking it I will take it off your hands. Please PM, thanks

3. converge

converge Senior member

I was torn between the small and medium duffle for overnight and weekend trips. I went with the medium travel bag and have not regretted it. I do like the aesthetics of the duffles, but the travel bags are more functional in my opinion. The outside side pockets are great for storing items you need to get to quickly (water bottle, sunglass case, compact umbrella). The longer outside pockets and interior pockets are great for storing books. I can even fit my 13" MacBook Pro with sleeve in the interior or exterior pocket.

4. idlittle

idlittle New Member

Any idea how to remove denim stains effectively from 257?

Thanks!

5. SaddleSC

SaddleSC Active Member

I agree 100%

6. rinard

rinard New Member

Thanks (to the several of you who answered). I figured it it was, at most, the 4" depth => ~2.5" circ., but it looks like much less than that. That's the only feature of my current bag I would miss -- the end pocket's perfect for a travel mug.

7. tufnel

tufnel New Member

Greetings!

Been lurking here for a while but given that I've been on an insane Filson buying spree lately I figured this was a good place for my first post :)

Picked up a tan 257 a couple weeks ago for my daily work bag.
    Then a Passage women's tote bag for mom's xmas present.
    Then a 232 in brown for the weekend (don't carry my work laptop & tools around on the weekends but hate moving stuff in and out of the bag)
    Then yesterday saw the post about the Brooks Brothers sale and jumped right in. Couldn't decide between the sportsman (OG) and the medium travel bag (tan) so I did the only rational thing and bought both.

Going to try to pass off the travel bag and/or sportsman as an xmas present for my wife, but she probably won't bite - I've run that play too many times already [​IMG]

Oh well - better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

BTW - re water bottles - I've been able to fit a smaller SIGG alumimum bottle and a 1L SmartWater bottle in the end pocket of the 257 (below the shoulder strap anchor), but it did push the interior contents of the bag, like my laptop, the other way. Probably wouldn't be able to fill both pockets at the same time.

8. poena

poena Senior member

All I have put in the 2 end pockets are a granola bar and phone charger ha
    Wish they were a bit bigger.

9. rinard

rinard New Member

Thanks for the end pocket reports -- I figured they were too narrow for much (at most, 4" width => ~2.5" circ., but they look narrower than that). That perfectly sized travel mug pocket is about all I'd miss from my current bag, but the 257 just looks much bulkier than I'd need 98% of the time.

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I had my heart set on the 266/Sportsman. It had virtually the same dimensions as the Med Travel bag but when I compared them side by side, that extra inch of height made a big difference for me. I use the Eagle Creek packing folders and often use the largest size 18" for dress shirts & a SC. The 266 wasn't tall enough but the Med Travel was perfect. It's a great bag and I use it often.

11. mathieu

mathieu Member

This is kind of random, but I have a tiny piece of plastic bag stuck in my zipper. I've been having a hard time getting it loose, any tips on what I should do? My hands are all rough from trying to set it free :(

12. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

Can you post a picture? I've never heard of anything like that.

For those guys who purchased from the Brooks Brothers sale, do these sales happen once every year around this time? Just want to be prepared for the next time something like this happens.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  13. juanvaldez1

juanvaldez1 New Member

I just ordered the 258. I recall reading someplace that the pockets and accessories sleeves used to be open at the bottom but Filson made a change and they are now closed. Mine are still open. Was this changed on the 258, or only on the 257?

14. Wcwon14

Wcwon14 New Member

Hi,

I got my 257 couple of weeks back. Absolutely loving it. I saw couple of threads about the strap being too long. For mine, i have to punch 4 extra holes. That leaves quite abit of excess strap. I got a cobbler to fix a belt keeper to hold the strap. Quite happy with the result. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

15. converge

converge Senior member

Thoughts on the tan with similarly colored khakis? I have a tan 257 and tan 246 but I'm thinking about picking up a 256 for office/work use. Since I'll be mostly wearing khakis, I'm thinking the otter green will have a better contrast color-wise but I've never seen that color in real life. It looks somewhat bland in the online pictures. This is a casual office environment so I could pull off either color.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012