• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WJR

Reaction score
Still hate the spidey hole and the overall shape. But I would do a copper scale and acid washed blade I think.
Blasphemy! The main reason Spydercos are my favorite is the hole! For me, I like that much better than a thumb stud or other options. To each their own, but that works best for me.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I never really liked the look of the hole myself. It's purely an aesthetic reaction from me. Then I got a Benchmade Bugout with one. I totally get it now and really like that implementation on that knife. If I like it there, I'm sure I would like it on a Spyderco. Lesson learned for me: Don't knock it until you try it.

"...I would do a copper scale and acid washed blade..."

Uhhh, yeah. We all know that is happening now. You aren't fooling us. ;) Post pictures when you are done, please.

I tease. But, I know how these things go with members of this thread. If not the Spyderco, maybe another knife with that combination. It sounds sharp! See what I did there?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't acid washing a blade count as implementing forced patina? To me that's not really my thing (to each his own), i'd much rather have a similar effect happen naturally through usage.

Speaking of knife patina I am very satisfied how my Buck 055 is coming along. The brass is beginning to tarnish and "Hulk Matter" is showing through from the brass liners through the walnut

Last edited:

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
I never really liked the look of the hole myself. It's purely an aesthetic reaction from me. Then I got a Benchmade Bugout with one. I totally get it now and really like that implementation on that knife. If I like it there, I'm sure I would like it on a Spyderco. Lesson learned for me: Don't knock it until you try it.
Totally understand how the hole could be beneficial and will own my aversion is also mostly aesthetic. What bothers me most though is that these knives fold up into an oval/avocado shape just so they can have a silly shaped blade bump to accommodate said hole. Increasing the folded footprint strikes me as a stupid design flaw for a pocket EDC item. All of that said, after seeing Peter McKinnon's Sebenza with a hole, I really want the same thing.

Doesn't acid washing a blade count as implementing forced patina? To me that's not really my thing (to each his own), i'd much rather have a similar effect happen naturally through usage.
Speaking of knife patina I am very satisified how my Buck 055 is coming along. The brass is beginning to tarnish and "Hulk Matter" is showing through from the brass liners through the walnut
Naw, its a steel treatment. Etching. It will Patina from there.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spending the weekend in the woods. Tying flies at the moment. I use the compartment bag for fly tying materials and tools. Cheers, all!
Great use of your #70264. I'm intending on using mine for a Range Bag, since I no longer use it for a cigar/whiskey bag, as the #260 fills that need much better.

Is that a Hammock Tent I see in the background?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
That handle looks like it would be supremely uncomfortable.

Sebenza, I have always wanted one. They are also so plain, but the want it real.
I have one of the now apparently very hard to find Senbenza 31s, as does my wife. They are nice. I have to say that they are not my favorite knives. They do have a great lockup, and they are least.... douchey... lol of knife companies,. There is very little to really criticize about the knives, other than that it is impossible to find titanium backspacers for them, which would be nice, since the blade is very close to the spine, and can easily cut say, a thin cardholder, a leather key chain, etc..., but that is not the company's fault. That said, I find find the grind so deep that the blades feel a bit unsturdy for anything other than light use, and it very rarely makes it into my pocket.

The handle on the Winkler Crusher is incredibly comfortable. Not only does it gives you much better purchase on the knife, which is super useful for actual field knives, that might wet, might be blood, etc... Also, he first two fingers fit perfectly in the grooves, and if you have been using it to cut kindling or similar work, your hand can get tired, and hotspots turn up. This knife, you just switch your grip a bit, and bam, brand new grip. It's not an EDC knife though. but a fairly specialized field knife that has "tactical" use and use for things like search and rescue as well, if you do any of those things.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
Some of my edc. At least once a week one of these tools comes in handy.View attachment 1433321
I think that I spy a Titan Pro. Seriously, best tiny flashlight ever. I live in Moscow, Idaho, where streetlights.... put it this way, the paucity of streetlight would consitute a safety hazard anywhere else, but here, people voted against more so that they can see the night sky. So, just walking home at night, these things come in useful (not that we are going out these nights).

linablair

Reaction score
Great use of your #70264. I'm intending on using mine for a Range Bag, since I no longer use it for a cigar/whiskey bag, as the #260 fills that need much better.

Is that a Hammock Tent I see in the background?
Great idea. It is a hammock tent - I like to keep things simple these days. Let’s hope the rain holds out, as I didn’t set up the tarp tonight!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great idea. It is a hammock tent - I like to keep things simple these days. Let’s hope the rain holds out, as I didn’t set up the tarp tonight!
My best friend has a hammock tent, he’s used it 3 separate free range kayak camping trips along the Delaware River.

9151EBBF-5601-4D02-B20C-2942698CB332.jpeg

46947E86-0E23-4C4C-9CDB-D5A328E771D8.jpeg

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
Current naturally occurring patina on my Buck 055

View attachment 1433875

View attachment 1433876
They make these not 2 hours from here. Here in Idaho, and just a few hours away in Oregon, we have some of the best knifemakers in the world - Chris Reeve (Boise, ID), Benchmade (Oregon), and Buck (Sandpoint, ID), and we have numerous custom makers as well. Frankly, I prefer production to custom for a variety of reasons, I want tools that have been tested by a lot of people, rather than art pieces that often have some technical issues, despite looking great. Filson is similar. I have custom bags. But if I actually need a job done, I often reach for a Filson duffle or game bag. It's something that I never have to worry about.

seven20

Reaction score
Which one of you beat me to green 257 just now?!
Which one? On the bay?

Edit: Saw the talon that ended today, I bet it was that one. Great looking bag! There’s a nice 1102 build tag tan out there right now too

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.