Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Bah, out of stock in everything I wanted :(

2. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member

Wow, FINALLY picked up a Pullman in Otter for 215 after the $10 first order coupon. Holy cow. Thought 30% off was the biggest discount I'd ever see for such a staple filson item. It's backordered til 1st week of January, but I dont care. Im in no rush. Ive waited probably 3 years to finally take the plunge. I've spent more on jeans, so this price is crazy.

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

My small family:

Left to right: Oil Finish Duffle Bag Small - Tan (70110), Original Briefcase (70256), Zippered tote - Tan (70261):

[​IMG]

I also have a tin cloth packer hat which is not pictured.

4. milesbeyond

milesbeyond Well-Known Member

Things are flying. Which is good because I didn't need to spend any more money...

5. brunost

brunost Member

looks great,Winston.

how can I make new holes in the strap so that I can wear the bag higher?

6. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

Same but I would definitely have bought that Pullman and travel kit at that price.

7. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

8. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

I was thinking of getting the wheeled carry on since I missed out on the Pullman but realized I wouldn't use it as much.

9. Mujib

Mujib Senior member

I ordered the large duffle. Is it too large to be used as a carry-on? How does the travel bag compare?

10. deem

deem Senior member

The large duffle is probably too large for a carryon unless you underpack it a lot. I've read that the medium duffle can squeak by if you don't overpack it, but I've never tried it with mine.

Quick question for you guys...I need a weekend/carryon. I already have the medium duffle in Tan. Unfortunately the Sportsman (which I prefer) isn't available in tan before Christmas travel, so should I get the sportsman in otter green or the Medium Travel bag in tan (to keep things matching)? Thanks for any input.

Edit: Never mind my question. The Filson Sportsman in Tan became available again!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Stop by a cobbler/shoe repair shop. They'll have a punch that will cut a nice clean hole. DIY never looks very good (unless you have a leather punch).

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I have read that even the medium at full capacity is too big to carry on. This all depends on how much you stuff the bag with though.

Someone early on in the thread mentioned that he took he had his shoulder strap shortened on the other end and had the "button" that secures it on the other end reattached. This sounds like a better idea to me as you can allow for more "range" in the adjustment without having too much tail hanging off on the other end and without attaching any holes. The downside is you can't have it as long as it was OEM.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

13. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

I hesitated on jumping on the otter large duffle because I already own two Filsons in tan. Now that it is out of stock I can pay extra $50 to buy the tan version that I wanted without feeling bad... But what is this gut wrenching sensation in my stomache? ;_;

14. fashionnoob

fashionnoob Senior member

Any reason why you prefer the Sportsman in Tan? I just picked up the medium travel bag in tan, and was on the fence between the two.

15. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

I really want to get the new Twill and Tweed briefcase and was wondering if Filson ever offers any discounts over the holidays? Even 15% would be awesome. Thought I might ask the experts. Thanks.