• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

singjai

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know about that 92 time frame. See my previous reply about dates. Maybe they sold a few early bags from the filson store in seattle before official distribution. Btw~ I think only tan was available early on too. Otter green maybe was added when they went to wider availability.. I will try to add pics soon of all my filsons and VP too. Non of them are matching colors except my VP duffle and briefcase.
Wow sounds like quite the trip down memory lane.. It's a good point where it's possible these were just sold at a small scale in the retail shop before being fully distributed and marketed. This indicates nothing but to your points, the guy I bought the tan 256 from is also from the area. Guess it's just a huge mystery until there's some sort of dated catalog or receipt like OMG mentioned above...

Last edited:

TinMan3

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know about that 92 time frame. See my previous reply about dates. Maybe they sold a few early bags from the filson store in seattle before official distribution. Btw~ I think only tan was available early on too. Otter green maybe was added when they went to wider availability.. I will try to add pics soon of all my filsons and VP too. Non of them are matching colors except my VP duffle and briefcase.
I know it’s a long shot but think you might have any photos of you with the bag when you got it as a gift? I mean I know my family still takes pictures when opening presents. That would put the date discussion to rest and I think we’d all be very curious to know if there was a test run before official production!

seven20

Reaction score
I know it’s a long shot but think you might have any photos of you with the bag when you got it as a gift? I mean I know my family still takes pictures when opening presents. That would put the date discussion to rest and I think we’d all be very curious to know if there was a test run before official production!
I think this is very plausible that it was an early/local run. Even filson says ‘re-introduced’ in 1991 in their old publications. Many companies, esp at the time would have beta runs before advertised/mass production.

[/URL]

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve also recently become a tote man. So much so that I’ve acquired a few different models for “comparisons” sake.

View attachment 1424772
I"ve so tried to like the tote. The only one I find myself using is the tin cloth tote that I use for trips to Whole Foods or whatever. It's BIG so it's perfect for groceries, etc. I had a tote but didn't use it. Not sure how to explain my reluctance but glad to see people putting them to good use!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is very plausible that it was an early/local run. Even filson says ‘re-introduced’ in 1991 in their old publications. Many companies, esp at the time would have beta runs before advertised/mass production.

[/URL]
Nice find. Also appears here. So we can speak as a matter of fact that it was officially released in 1991. How it was before that remains to be seen in what particular form or fashion. Would be interested in seeing what it was before Stan Kohls sunk his genius teeth in

FAC6260D-21B1-432A-B93D-5AE5A02F55C0.jpeg

thewinedown

Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm hoping to tap into your collective expertise and general sleuthing capabilities. Below is my dad's old hunting bag. I cannot figure out who may have made this thing, and he has no recollection of where he even got it. It's certainly not Filson. I am unable to find any tags, markings, or insignia of any kind as clues. Best guess is that it is from the 1970s. Could it be military? Maybe just an off brand, unmarked bag through some place like A&N, or possibly military surplus? I thought you amazing bag heads on here might be my only hope.

Another question - what could the two small flaps on the front of the main flap (the two that have small metal rivet holes in them)? The one hanging straight down I could see random things attached two, but second one that is vertical/perpendicular, I really don't get. It seems like it would get ripped off easily from that angle if anything heavy were hung from it.

You'll see the years of gnarly patina embedded into the canvas - it's recently cleaned by the way, none of this coming out, and I love it for that. I used to use it for shells, gloves, etc. and the occasional quail. These days, it's more of a shoulder bag for road trips, farmers markets, etc. Any thoughts or tips appreciated.

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm hoping to tap into your collective expertise and general sleuthing capabilities. Below is my dad's old hunting bag. I cannot figure out who may have made this thing, and he has no recollection of where he even got it. It's certainly not Filson. I am unable to find any tags, markings, or insignia of any kind as clues. Best guess is that it is from the 1970s. Could it be military? Maybe just an off brand, unmarked bag through some place like A&N, or possibly military surplus? I thought you amazing bag heads on here might be my only hope.

Another question - what could the two small flaps on the front of the main flap (the two that have small metal rivet holes in them)? The one hanging straight down I could see random things attached two, but second one that is vertical/perpendicular, I really don't get. It seems like it would get ripped off easily from that angle if anything heavy were hung from it.

You'll see the years of gnarly patina embedded into the canvas - it's recently cleaned by the way, none of this coming out, and I love it for that. I used to use it for shells, gloves, etc. and the occasional quail. These days, it's more of a shoulder bag for road trips, farmers markets, etc. Any thoughts or tips appreciated.

View attachment 1425110
View attachment 1425111
View attachment 1425112View attachment 1425113
It appears to be some sort of military surplus bag. If you look at the metal clips and buckles, very similar to most Milsurp bags. Beyond that, idk. Also, I could be wrong 🙃.

TinMan3

Reaction score
Nice find. Also appears here. So we can speak as a matter of fact that it was officially released in 1991. How it was before that remains to be seen in what particular form or fashion. Would be interested in seeing what it was before Stan Kohls sunk his genius teeth in

View attachment 1425108
Yes this is very interesting. However, from reading this page, it appears to me that Kohl’s was reintroducing items from a long time before 1981. It reads that he became aware of designs through old catalogs and put them back to work. I’ve never seen a twill bag that I know of that is older than this “reintroduction” period so I would say that it’s possible he found some old designs and put them back to work from many decades before, but I would also say it’s possible it was just written this way because it reads well that Kohl’s success was partially due to the finding of the Dead Sea scrolls of Filson folklore.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere that the Field bags were the first models produced before the other ones were introduced (duffles, briefcases, totes)

Kevin24

Reaction score
I am going back to school this coming spring, and I could use a sturdy backpack that's capable of carrying a laptop and some books around town.

Would the more experienced Filson guys in this thread recommend the Ranger Backpack or the Journeyman?

Also, criticize this for what you will but is the Ranger geared more towards use by men or women?

seven20

Reaction score
I am going back to school this coming spring, and I could use a sturdy backpack that's capable of carrying a laptop and some books around town.

Would the more experienced Filson guys in this thread recommend the Ranger Backpack or the Journeyman?

Also, criticize this for what you will but is the Ranger geared more towards use by men or women?
I haven’t had a journeyman, but had a ranger briefly. It’s an odd shaped bag IMO (back is very wide) and doesn’t have a laptop compartment. I would say the journeyman is a better suited bag for school. The rucksack open style is a bit cumbersome to me vs the zip.

only my opinion though. I just finished grad school and carried my 257 instead of a backpack

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes this is very interesting. However, from reading this page, it appears to me that Kohl’s was reintroducing items from a long time before 1981. It reads that he became aware of designs through old catalogs and put them back to work. I’ve never seen a twill bag that I know of that is older than this “reintroduction” period so I would say that it’s possible he found some old designs and put them back to work from many decades before, but I would also say it’s possible it was just written this way because it reads well that Kohl’s success was partially due to the finding of the Dead Sea scrolls of Filson folklore.
That could be true. Also he might’ve perfected the Rugged Twill Line with his learned background in the industry. We know for a fact that he expanded the Rugged Twill Luggage line

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I have posted so apologies if these items may have been discussed already. Recently, I bought two Filson Workshop items from the summer sale. The leather rectangular catch-all and the leather chain wallet.

The catch-all was a pleasant surprise. The leather was thick with a luster characteristic of good quality leather. The brass corner (copper colored?) pieces are also attractive and contrast nicely with the black leather. There is a little Workshop brand at the base too. The rectangular shape with the rounded bottom (like a little barge) holds a good amount. The only criticism I have is the rounded bottom means it swivels or rocks on a flat surface. It is also not a 'travel tray' as there is no way that I can discern to remove the brass pieces and fold flat. I bought several for gifts for colleagues and friends for the holidays as I thought it was a good deal at the sale price.

The chain wallet was bought for my teenage son who liked the concept (and had lost his rugged suede Filson snap wallet when it fell out of his pocket). The wallet was much thicker than I imagined. Like a little purse. It had a zippered compartment and multiple slots for cash, but still pretty simple (e.g. no card slots or anything). The leather seemed very similar to the Wickett & Craig leather on my second generation Filson field satchel: dark brown, thick, sturdy but very flat (no sheen or gloss) compared to most high end leather products. The chain was an antiqued brass color which I don't like personally as it looks a bit 'faux'. At the full retail, I might have returned it (given what I have seen from other brands like Red Wing and other companies in this category). But given my son's happiness with it and the lower sale price, I think it's a keeper. I look forward to seeing if heavy use may change its look favorably. I hope I don't see elephant knee creases or worse yet, pitting.
IMG_8656.jpg
IMG_8769.jpg

FilsonDude

Reaction score

between those two I would say the Journeyman for it’s built in padding and organization.

If you just wanted max carrying capacity and don’t care if the laptop gets banged up or using a sleeve then the Ranger could work

Stratkat

Reaction score
It's been a while since I have posted so apologies if these items may have been discussed already. Recently, I bought two Filson Workshop items from the summer sale. The leather rectangular catch-all and the leather chain wallet.

The catch-all was a pleasant surprise. The leather was thick with a luster characteristic of good quality leather. The brass corner (copper colored?) pieces are also attractive and contrast nicely with the black leather. There is a little Workshop brand at the base too. The rectangular shape with the rounded bottom (like a little barge) holds a good amount. The only criticism I have is the rounded bottom means it swivels or rocks on a flat surface. It is also not a 'travel tray' as there is no way that I can discern to remove the brass pieces and fold flat. I bought several for gifts for colleagues and friends for the holidays as I thought it was a good deal at the sale price.

The chain wallet was bought for my teenage son who liked the concept (and had lost his rugged suede Filson snap wallet when it fell out of his pocket). The wallet was much thicker than I imagined. Like a little purse. It had a zippered compartment and multiple slots for cash, but still pretty simple (e.g. no card slots or anything). The leather seemed very similar to the Wickett & Craig leather on my second generation Filson field satchel: dark brown, thick, sturdy but very flat (no sheen or gloss) compared to most high end leather products. The chain was an antiqued brass color which I don't like personally as it looks a bit 'faux'. At the full retail, I might have returned it (given what I have seen from other brands like Red Wing and other companies in this category). But given my son's happiness with it and the lower sale price, I think it's a keeper. I look forward to seeing if heavy use may change its look favorably. I hope I don't see elephant knee creases or worse yet, pitting.
View attachment 1425200View attachment 1425201
Soletrane, aren’t the clevis pins treaded, removable? You should be able to remove them and flatten the tray I would think.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.