• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to the watch topic for a minute, there seems to be a plethora of micro brand divers out there right now, it’s like the year of the dive watch!

What do you make of my measurements then?
An interesting anomaly based upon two bags outside of Filson’s purview. Again it’s a minuscule ounce weight difference hardly worth debating over. However it’s awfully timely that large print catalog post came out right around when Filson 86ed the 25 year old 22oz claim weight from their products to the now (almost unintelligible) claim of "100% Cotton Rugged Twill with 2 ply and 3 ply yarns”

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m currently watching an inspiring documentary on Minimalism and this popped right in view in front of the New York Stock Exchange. Looks like the Filson X Harris Tweed #256.

Excellent documentary, recommend for anyone looking to downsize their life. I realize this isn’t exactly preaching to the choir with our ever-growing Filson collections but still it’s worth watching. I’m currently going through all my stuff this month (making use of the time), and seeing what I can part with. So far I’ve filled up 4 bags worth.

31BE70CF-68A4-4661-9330-FDECBD71765D.jpeg

(Edit) And then there was a 2nd, this one caught me off guard. Its without question a 24HR, carried by one of the centralized stars. He’s traveling on a 10 month long speaking tour with only two smaller medium size shoulder carry bags

8B7C4F78-2826-4591-BC6F-3E77E703E2E9.jpeg

Last edited:

mattand27

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this! Your attention to detail is phenomenal and I think this goes to show that Filson (or Shinola’s) design team also pay close attention to the small things. Yes, these were designed entirely by Shinola, just produced in Japan. But this goes to show that this isn’t a $60 watch that Filson is trying to sell for $400. It’s a $250 watch that Filson is trying to sell for $400 😂. It’s a good value at the sale prices they are going for if a Filson watch is on your list and you proved it (to me anyways!). I always though the shinola watches were very well thought out as well. Good to see they didn’t stray too far with the new series. Wonder if after this round of watches if Filson will continue to dabble in the watch game.
Thank you very much. It's easy to photograph and write about a product with so many interesting little details. This is definitely a watch with decent value and thoughtful design. I do hope Filson continues to offer more watches in the future, especially if they offer them in a wide range of sizes to fit different wrists.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonder if Filson is discontinuing their Cinder offerings. At least 50% off currently and 6 luggage items are listed

Filson sale.PNG

seven20

Reaction score
I haven’t seen the cinder online in a while so I would think so. I don’t mind the cinder, but I’m not a fan of black leather.

mattand27

Reaction score
**Update to my recent Filson Field Watch review**

Much to my surprise the white dial version does have luminous numerals and markers. Since it is the black-colored compound it is not very strong or long-lasting, but it is there. I must say after discovering this, there is very little to fault in this watch. A great effort by Filson/Shinola/Bedrock.

Winston2

Reaction score
Has anyone used Filson brand leather conditioner on your bags’ leather straps on either side of the zipper, pulls, carrying strap, and leather bases where you attach the carrying strap? If so, I would appreciate hearing about your experience with it, any tips on application, any disadvantage to applying it, etc. And, should I apply it as a preventative measure if the leather is in good shape? Or, should I wait to apply if the leather starts to dry out? I apologize in advance if these are basic questions to which I should know the answers. Thanks!

singjai

Reaction score
Has anyone used Filson brand leather conditioner on your bags’ leather straps on either side of the zipper, pulls, carrying strap, and leather bases where you attach the carrying strap? If so, I would appreciate hearing about your experience with it, any tips on application, any disadvantage to applying it, etc. And, should I apply it as a preventative measure if the leather is in good shape? Or, should I wait to apply if the leather starts to dry out? I apologize in advance if these are basic questions to which I should know the answers. Thanks!
WHAT ARE A FEW THINGS SOMEONE CAN DO TO HELP PRESERVE THEIR FILSON BAG SO THEY CAN GET THE MAXIMUM USE FROM IT?
Jeremy – The two most important things to remember to preserve your Filson bags are the following:
– Condition the leather like it’s your own skin. The more moisture you give it in the form of conditioners and oils, the longer it will last. This will help prevent cracking, waterlogging and dry rot.
– Wax, wax and re-wax your Filson bag. Same as the leather, the more you wax the Rugged Twill, or Oil Tin, the more impermeable it becomes to the elements. Waxing your bag also reduces friction wear, and will ensure a longer life for the fabric.

Source: https://journal.waywardcollective.com/unfailing-goods-visiting-the-filson-restoration-deparment/

I don't think it'll destroy your bag if you forgot to condition it once or twice a year. I have a 7 year old daily carry that I never conditioned until a couple months ago. Just apply a really thin layer and rub it in. Too much will cause it to gunk up.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.