• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok

I wasn’t aware of the carry-on travel bag. What is the size difference with the small Pullman? Is it more like a duffle with larger opening as opposed to clam shell?
I was seriously considering a Navy First Edition #70081 several times a couple of years ago, but never pulled the trigger. Instead I got my Talon OG #246 and I haven't looked back since. It's vastly different to the Small Pullman. In size, pack-ability, features and carry style. It saw a very short production run then it's much much much older brother, the #242 Large Carry On, which is actually closer in function, packing and carry style to the Small Pullman.

This picture always illustrates my point the best:

andy kim.jpg

Since it's mounting points are on the side (like a briefcase or duffel), it carries different on the shoulder as opposed to the Pullman or #242, with their strap mounting points on the back. It's also technically not a clam-shell because you can only pack one side with clothes. The other side has a stash pocket. My favorite part of the bag is most people's least favorite...the roll up storm flap.

AK.jpg

Last edited:

danfilsondill

Reaction score
I was seriously considering a Navy First Edition #70081 several times a couple of years ago, but never pulled the trigger. Instead I got my Talon OG #246 and I haven't looked back since. It's vastly different to the Small Pullman. In size, pack-ability, features and carry style. It saw a very short production run then it's much much much older brother, the #242 Large Carry On, which is actually closer in function, packing and carry style to the Small Pullman.

The picture always illustrates my point the best:

View attachment 1413128

Since it's mounting points are on the side (like a briefcase or duffel), it carries different on the shoulder as opposed to the Pullman or #242, with their strap mounting points on the back. It's also technically not a clam-shell because you can only pack one side with clothes. The other side as a stash pocket. My favorite part of the bag is most people's least favorite...the roll up storm flap.

View attachment 1413140
Wow this is extremely helpful. Also pushing me towards using it instead of the Pullman haha!

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Wow this is extremely helpful. Also pushing me towards using it instead of the Pullman haha!
the other great thing about the carry on is that it folds completely flat. Not a factor here, but if I ever get to travel out of the country again I’ll use the check in suit case and keep the carry on flat in there ready to take all the stupid crap I buy home in it.

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Looks awesome! How does the size compare to a medium duffle? 325, not older big medium
I actually don’t have the medium duffle. I put loafers, flip flops, 6 t shirts, 6 underwear, 4 khaki shorts, 2 gym shorts, 6 socks, knee brace, Filson small toiletry bag filled, a button down and a polo in there (Way too much info I know). It was full but if my life depended on it I could definitely fit more in there. Pretty great.

I think the small Pullman would be better for a long weekend where I had places to go ie I could essentially lay out what I intended to wear each day and know where it was/see it given that it basically is two halves. This I just loaded everything up and zipped it in, and will unpack it all when I’m there. Aka better to live in the Pullman but for this trip I’ll unpack day one.

Glad to finally use it! Has a slight old must to it but hopefully that won’t be an issue haha.

McRiz

Reaction score
I actually don’t have the medium duffle. I put loafers, flip flops, 6 t shirts, 6 underwear, 4 khaki shorts, 2 gym shorts, 6 socks, knee brace, Filson small toiletry bag filled, a button down and a polo in there (Way too much info I know). It was full but if my life depended on it I could definitely fit more in there. Pretty great.

I think the small Pullman would be better for a long weekend where I had places to go ie I could essentially lay out what I intended to wear each day and know where it was/see it given that it basically is two halves. This I just loaded everything up and zipped it in, and will unpack it all when I’m there. Aka better to live in the Pullman but for this trip I’ll unpack day one.

Glad to finally use it! Has a slight old must to it but hopefully that won’t be an issue haha.
The large twill carry on travel bag is still one of my favorite Filson bags such that I actually have one in OG and one in Navy. It has an inner lining and inner pockets and is not unlike a suitcase. It, unfortunately, was discontinued very quickly. I know some prefer the clam shell of the pullman but zippers for the large twill carry are located on one side which packs better for me (100 percent subjective). Here are some old reviews from Amazon:

originalhype

Reaction score
The navy medium travel bag is an uncommon bag, especially in color. I do have one and the twill on that navy MTV is quite soft and not as stiff as the normal twill fabric.
I think that is the time when filson was experimenting with colors from black, navy, and brown.

I do think filson should make a cranberry or burgundy color.

TinMan3

Reaction score
Strawberry and Raspberry picking today and now on to the in-laws to make jam. Staying the night and bring a few things hence all the luggage. @danfilsondill it took my wife a while to catch on but after a few compliments from her friends the small red duffle and tan check in bags are now her go to travel bags! It’s not just for the gentlemen (which we already knew! @linablair).

5FF210BF-9BB2-4F29-AD66-BA6E250C1F4D.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strawberry and Raspberry picking today and now on to the in-laws to make jam. Staying the night and bring a few things hence all the luggage. @danfilsondill it took my wife a while to catch on but after a few compliments from her friends the small red duffle and tan check in bags are now her go to travel bags! It’s not just for the gentlemen (which we already knew! @linablair).

View attachment 1414140
That FRD Tote looks familiar, like the one I was going to snatch up but someone beat me to it :fonz:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, that’s a different one... I got this one on offer up a while back. Too many FRD totes (if there is such a thing)? ;)
No such thing, as long as they’re not sitting in a closet collecting dust. That’s right, it was a #260 Open Tote FRD that I missed out on. So you have two Totes with D-Rings?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.