• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Doh! That was in the catalog. No wonder I couldn’t find it in my email. I’m losing my mind!! Thanks NevadaBob!!

TinMan3

Reaction score
Doh! That was in the catalog. No wonder I couldn’t find it in my email. I’m losing my mind!! Thanks NevadaBob!!
Oh mannnnn. I’m going to spend a fortune on this new Smokey stuff and then they gotta do the workshop event too. This isn’t fair. I PRAY that I can pass on the workshop stuff. Lol.

BTW @nevadabob that Smokey chainstitch patch is pricey but man is it cool!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just don't get the Smokey the Bear stuff, I am not interested in it at all. I mean, I like Smokey, like the only U can prevent forest fires thing, but have zero interest in buying. For those that do, go for it, post pix once it arrives, but for me just give me Filson bags.

TinMan3

Reaction score
I just don't get the Smokey the Bear stuff, I am not interested in it at all. I mean, I like Smokey, like the only U can prevent forest fires thing, but have zero interest in buying. For those that do, go for it, post pix once it arrives, but for me just give me Filson bags.
It’s not for everyone. For me, it’s the definition of an American icon and sends the same great message that it has for decades. There’s hardly anything more American than Smokey Bear. He’s probably one of the most successful campaigns in us government history outside of maybe Uncle Sam. Anyways, it’s ok that it’s not for you!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s not for everyone. For me, it’s the definition of an American icon and sends the same great message that it has for decades. There’s hardly anything more American than Smokey Bear. He’s probably one of the most successful campaigns in us government history outside of maybe Uncle Sam. Anyways, it’s ok that it’s not for you!
I'm glad you like it, to me it just detracts from the Filson bags that I have come to know and love. Seems like Filson is trying to be a "fashion" brand, which is ok, button my cup of tea. Besides, I have some Smokey the Bear stuff we bought at a National park when I was a kid, in the 60's or 70's, right after he was introduced I think.

TinMan3

Reaction score
I'm glad you like it, to me it just detracts from the Filson bags that I have come to know and love. Seems like Filson is trying to be a "fashion" brand, which is ok, button my cup of tea. Besides, I have some Smokey the Bear stuff we bought at a National park when I was a kid, in the 60's or 70's, right after he was introduced I think.
Hmmm, I’m pretty sure Smokey isn’t at the center of fashion at the moment and I also disagree that selling forest service branded gear detracts from Filson mission or its bags. Just my opinion, but Filson and the USFS have had a relationship for decades. They have been outfitting Rangers with wool and canvas garments since at least the ‘60s, and the bags have only been around since the early ‘90s. So really the relationship and affiliation with the forest service has been in place much longer than the bags.

mrright

Reaction score
Hi, I'm kind of new here. I lurk often but this is my first time posting. I ran into an issue. I heard that brass can be cleaned from using bar keeper's friend. I applied a paste today and left it for too long and it made the brass discolored and cloudy. Does anybody know how to fix this?

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Hmmm, I’m pretty sure Smokey isn’t at the center of fashion at the moment and I also disagree that selling forest service branded gear detracts from Filson mission or its bags. Just my opinion, but Filson and the USFS have had a relationship for decades. They have been outfitting Rangers with wool and canvas garments since at least the ‘60s, and the bags have only been around since the early ‘90s. So really the relationship and affiliation with the forest service has been in place much longer than the bags.
agree with this here. I used to be very into collecting sneakers and right about the time I stopped (2014/15) is when the market became flooded with collaborations. In the late 2000s collaborations were super coveted and then it seems like it changed to every brand had a collab every 5 minutes and it was no longer special. Filson seems to be very particular about when they collaborate and it’s always purposeful and I think the Smokey stuff is so perfect and authentic to the Filson brand. Would love to own a hoodie but can’t drop $200 for one (plus I’ve never tried a Filson hoodie on so dubious about sizing)

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
Hi, I'm kind of new here. I lurk often but this is my first time posting. I ran into an issue. I heard that brass can be cleaned from using bar keeper's friend. I applied a paste today and left it for too long and it made the brass discolored and cloudy. Does anybody know how to fix this?
Not a lot you can do. BKF is incredibly abrasive and they warn against leaving the product on for more than 30 seconds due to the risk of discoloration.

2 things you can try, a dedicated brass polish, see if you can restore some shine and color. Or you can also try a little ketchup and see if it helps bring back the luster.

seven20

Reaction score
Not a lot you can do. BKF is incredibly abrasive and they warn against leaving the product on for more than 30 seconds due to the risk of discoloration.

2 things you can try, a dedicated brass polish, see if you can restore some shine and color. Or you can also try a little ketchup and see if it helps bring back the luster.
Ketchup? Huh, interesting. Is it the acidity?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson seems to be very particular about when they collaborate and it’s always purposeful
That certainly isn’t always the truth with Filson. They’ve had their fair share of mind boggling collaborations that make as much sense with the alignment of the brand as Glock teaming up with Martha Stewart :lol:

Case in point the $220 Pillbox x Filson baseball bat collaboration:

D1BB96EC-64B3-48ED-9AC1-F65E0C9D3BDF.jpeg

Then you have other examples such as Chilean Snack Tables and Bocce Ball Sets:

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TinMan3

Reaction score
@TinMan3 thought about your prized Filson x White Cone piece when I saw this.

Oh yeah, that duffle is a thing of beauty and would look perfect next to my Cone Mills briefcase. It has been sadly sitting on a bench in my guitar room looking pretty but unable to be used for almost 12 weeks. I really do miss carrying my bags to and from the office. What a weird thing to miss!!

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.