• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found some interesting eBay listings to share with the group.

1. This is one badass Workshop Pouch and priced to sell. Love the interior stamping and riveted pocket

Workshop Pouch.PNG

2. Why do sellers try and bait people like this with search words like "Vintage" or "Rare"? If it's true, then I am certainly okay with it, but when it's blatantly false, that aggravates me, not only as a seller but as a dedicated aficionado of the brand. In these two cases the same seller is clearly misrepresenting his Filson Bags as Talon Era pieces, when that couldn't be further from the truth. What's even worse is that he is a Washington seller, so he is local to the brand and company.

Exhibit A:

I'll let you guys figure out why this is false:

Not a talon.PNG

Exhibit B:

This one doesn't even have zippers, as it is the Medium Field Bag. Even if it were a Talon, it should read "Talon Era". In this case even if it had zippers, it is not of the Talon Era, as it is being sold as NWOT and has a padded shoulder strap.

Not a talon 2.PNG

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
Here's something that you don't see very often; two powerhouse outdoor brands working together to create a collaboration. That would be like Spyderco and Benchmade working together to create the ultimate EDC knife (more on Spyderco later).
Deets? Didnt come up with anything on a quick google quandary.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
OMG you hit the nail right there
“Why do sellers try and bait people”
Some people are specifically doing searches for ‘talon’ or ‘vintage’. These unscrupulous sellers are just looking for more hits and falsifying their titles for click bait.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eff. Reading was compromised this morning. You said 'would be like' not are/did. Ignore me. Nothing to see here.
Maybe you can help me, and anyone else versed in the knife community. I am searching for my first EDC folding knife and have put in some serious man hours in my research so far. The only knife I have currently (besides my 10 year old Leatherman Skeletool) is a Buck 55 Lock-Back. It does the job pretty well; only use it for cutting cardboard, paper, and small cutting tasks. However I would like to invest in something a bit more reliable and stronger. The Buck utilizes 420HC steel and holds a edge decently well, but I hear isn't the best for strength. Lightness, durability, strength and patina-ability are all factors in my decision. Modification and MIA is also important. I have it pretty much narrowed down to the Spyderco Paramilitary 3, but am still open to suggestions. I love the aesthetics of a Buck Knife, namely the 112 Ranger with it brass bolsters/rivets and exotic wood scales, but they come at a price of weight. Also I really don't like carrying a belt sheath and these hunting knives do not come with an attached pocket clip. The weight is around 6 ounces which is a lot to be carrying loose around in the pocket. I want something that is heirloom quality and anything that I have seen so far is not to my liking. The G10 scales that Spyderco offers is something that will look dated after awhile, and won't patina particularly well.

My Buck 055 Lock-back. Note the oxidation that is showing through the American Walnut scales from the brass liner.

C1E1E6C9-931C-4F2C-A839-EC9E14D2258C.jpeg

I started looking at modifying the scales to something that will take on a patina, but I wasn't too satisfied with the added weight that accompanied it. Namely the brass and copper scales, which brought the total weight to around what a Buck 112 Ranger was :facepalm: (6.04 ounces). I then started looking at the titanium scales, but I am not a fan of how titanium patina's over time (the purple effect). The total installed weight is is about 4.5 ounces, which I did appreciate nonetheless.

So I was uncertain what to do and started looking at other brands like the Benchmade Bugout (stupid name). After watching a review by Wranglestar, I was more or less convinced that this was the knife for me. I highly recommend checking out his channel; he's the same guy with the awesome Filson Mackinaw review. Not only is it an expensive EDC, but the handle material is pretty flimsy, and the Omega Spring is tough to remove/reassemble when upgrading scales to something stronger (practically a requirement).

So wrapping things up, this is currently what I am looking at with this upcoming build. I am going to be buying the Spyderco Paramilitary 3 with G10 Digi-Camo scales and an S30V Steel. After nearly giving up I happened upon a scale material called Micarta, which is not only pretty strong, but offers opportunity for patina. It's not cheap, costs around $80 just for the scales, but I love the look and texture. It syncs up to the Para 3's steel liners, for added rigidity. What do you guys think, put a lot of time into this post (more time then I had planned). I know @Davey13 is a knife hound, so maybe he would like to re-join the conversation, as it’s been a while since we heard from him.

BADC5B3B-0AC6-44A7-AF74-5F1F7AC83DBC.jpeg

D8016939-B7CA-4A42-8511-AEC5E1C12C18.jpeg

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen

I have a Benchmade knife that’s the best knife I’ve ever had. I admit that I haven’t tried Spyderco (I need to visit their shop down in Golden someday... I hear they sell seconds).

singjai

Reaction score
The 256 came in today. No unusual smells and very surprised at how clean it is. The inside still shows the original dark tan color with no fading. When were these bags first introduced? No build tag so I reached out to the seller and he said the bag was purchased in 1989-1990. He sells fishing swivels on eBay so sounds like an old school Filson fan.

IMG_5218.jpeg

Next to my 6 year old 257
IMG_5224.jpeg

Came with this padlock
IMG_5228.jpeg

IMG_5209.jpeg

IMG_5221.jpeg

Last edited:

danfilsondill

Reaction score
The 256 came in today. No unusual smells and very surprised at how clean it is. The inside still shows the original dark tan color with no fading. When were these bags first introduced? No build tag so I reached out to the seller and he said the bag was purchased in 1989-1990. He sells fishing swivels on eBay so sounds like an old school Filson fan.

View attachment 1397559

View attachment 1397564

View attachment 1397563

Came with this padlock and a couple keys
View attachment 1397561
Looks amazing!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1397559

View attachment 1397564

View attachment 1397563

Came with this padlock and a couple keys
View attachment 1397561

View attachment 1397570
Congratulations! A stunning and well preserved Talon Era piece of craftsmanship.

The Rugged Twill line was first introduced by Stanley Kohl’s during the early 1990’s. In my extensive research I have it dated as early as 1992.

Last edited:

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
Maybe you can help me, and anyone else versed in the knife community. I am searching for my first EDC folding knife and have put in some serious man hours in my research so far. The only knife I have currently (besides my 10 year old Leatherman Skeletool) is a Buck 55 Lock-Back. It does the job pretty well; only use it for cutting cardboard, paper, and small cutting tasks. However I would like to invest in something a bit more reliable and stronger. The Buck utilizes 420HC steel and holds a edge decently well, but I hear isn't the best for strength. Lightness, durability, strength and patina-ability are all factors in my decision. Modification and MIA is also important. I have it pretty much narrowed down to the Spyderco Paramilitary 3, but am still open to suggestions. I love the aesthetics of a Buck Knife, namely the 112 Ranger with it brass bolsters/rivets and exotic wood scales, but they come at a price of weight. Also I really don't like carrying a belt sheath and these hunting knives do not come with an attached pocket clip. The weight is around 6 ounces which is a lot to be carrying loose around in the pocket. I want something that is heirloom quality and anything that I have seen so far is not to my liking. The G10 scales that Spyderco offers is something that will look dated after awhile, and won't patina particularly well.

My Buck 055 Lock-back. Note the oxidation that is showing through the American Walnut scales from the brass liner.

I started looking at modifying the scales to something that will take on a patina, but I wasn't too satisfied with the added weight that accompanied it. Namely the brass and copper scales, which brought the total weight to around what a Buck 112 Ranger was :facepalm: (6.04 ounces). I then started looking at the titanium scales, but I am not a fan of how titanium patina's over time (the purple effect). The total installed weight is is about 4.5 ounces, which I did appreciate nonetheless.

So I was uncertain what to do and started looking at other brands like the Benchmade Bugout (stupid name). After watching a review by Wranglestar, I was more or less convinced that this was the knife for me. I highly recommend checking out his channel; he's the same guy with the awesome Filson Mackinaw review. Not only is it an expensive EDC, but the handle material is pretty flimsy, and the Omega Spring is tough to remove/reassemble when upgrading scales to something stronger (practically a requirement).

So wrapping things up, this is currently what I am looking at with this upcoming build. I am going to be buying the Spyderco Paramilitary 3 with G10 Digi-Camo scales and an S30V Steel. After nearly giving up I happened upon a scale material called Micarta, which is not only pretty strong, but offers opportunity for patina. It's not cheap, costs around $80 just for the scales, but I love the look and texture. It syncs up to the Para 3's steel liners, for added rigidity. What do you guys think, put a lot of time into this post (more time then I had planned). I know @Davey13 is a knife hound, so maybe he would like to re-join the conversation, as it’s been a while since we heard from him.
Its been a long time since I have been super into EDCs and steel types. Buy Spyderco makes a solid knife if you like the aesthetic. The paramilitary is a solid design and will do everything you want it to. G10 and Micarta are pretty much standard these days and both work well (durability, grip ect). For patina, its really brass or copper scales. Personally, I dont feel like patina and knifes belong together unless youre talking about a Japanese carbon blade kitchen knife. Your EDC should always be meticulously cleaned and maintained. A lighter color G10/Micarta scale will darken with dirt and might be a good way to get some subtle patinas.

I watched that Bugout review. Most of that is garbage IMHO. Yes Benchmades on a whole are overpriced, but he is being ridiculous. I also never enjoyed the feel of the 940 which he laudes. Then again, I like small knives on a whole so take that with a grain of salt.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen

I have a Benchmade knife that’s the best knife I’ve ever had. I admit that I haven’t tried Spyderco (I need to visit their shop down in Golden someday... I hear they sell seconds).
Which Benchmade do you own? I hear they are a great MiUSA brand. The only con i have heard is the handle material choice of the Bugout (known as Grivory).

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.