• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

GzStudio

Reaction score
Which is why I will most likely never have one. Plus, from the 2 wheeled versions I e seen, not impressed with the durability of the plastic.

GzStudio

Reaction score
This whole quarantine thing has me drinking more than usual, which is not very often to begin with. Trying this one tonight. Hopefully everyone out there is staying safe. Can’t wait for things to head towards normalcy....
D5FDD118-78D2-4128-B667-1FFA15DAE851.jpeg

TinMan3

Reaction score
Which is why I will most likely never have one. Plus, from the 2 wheeled versions I e seen, not impressed with the durability of the plastic.
I like mine. It was a great bargain at the price I paid even if it doesn’t last me a lifetime. It has some obvious design flaws. The biggest issue for me is that it doesn’t not standing up well when fully packed (falls forward). Next biggest issue is the weight. By itself it’s like 8+lbs which in Europe is half your carry capacity and the US isn’t far behind. Anyways, it looks amazing and is very tough. The wheels will be the first thing to go but it looks to me like they used roller blade wheels which finding a replacement looks reasonably easy. Anyways, for a good price, it’s a nice carry on but I likely wouldn’t be able to justify sticker price especially considering they no longer make them in the USA. Mine is an early YKK build tag and I’m happy with it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This whole quarantine thing has me drinking more than usual, which is not very often to begin with. Trying this one tonight. Hopefully everyone out there is staying safe. Can’t wait for things to head towards normalcy....View attachment 1368680
Happy to see you enjoying more whiskey and using your swanky new glass. Love that decanter design stopper.

I myself have actually mostly refrained from all alcohol this past month since I’ve moved back home to be with my Twin Brother. Things are vastly improving by each passing day having him home, for us and for him.

I did sneak one glass 12 days ago after going 16 days on the wagon. Of course I didn’t celebrate with just anything...

510BAC06-4F4D-4C1A-BCF8-0D535559172A.jpeg

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want wheeled luggage that minimizes weight, maximizes space, and has an unconditional lifetime warranty, just go ahead and spring for Briggs & Riley. They even offer olive.:)

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like mine. It was a great bargain at the price I paid even if it doesn’t last me a lifetime. It has some obvious design flaws. The biggest issue for me is that it doesn’t not standing up well when fully packed (falls forward). Next biggest issue is the weight. By itself it’s like 8+lbs which in Europe is half your carry capacity and the US isn’t far behind. Anyways, it looks amazing and is very tough. The wheels will be the first thing to go but it looks to me like they used roller blade wheels which finding a replacement looks reasonably easy. Anyways, for a good price, it’s a nice carry on but I likely wouldn’t be able to justify sticker price especially considering they no longer make them in the USA. Mine is an early YKK build tag and I’m happy with it.
It’s an interesting distinction between the rolling luggage and the rolling duffles. I had the wheels and plastics replaced on a duffle under warranty last year.

GzStudio

Reaction score
If you want wheeled luggage that minimizes weight, maximizes space, and has an unconditional lifetime warranty, just go ahead and spring for Briggs & Riley. They even offer olive.:)
I use samsonite firelite and cosmolite for our families luggage. The 28” is less than 7lbs. The carryon versions are 4.5lbs dry. When your packing light for a family of four and checking bags, reducing the weight of the case allows you to not get hit by overages. Which we needed to check with 2 younger kids and no free hands. But now that my kids are older, they want their own carryon so we are now checking less, but still pack a communal case to check on week long trips. I wanted to get behind Filson luggage, but it just didn’t work for my situation. Plus having 4 wheels is so much easier.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Briggs and Riley is quite nice. However my quest for “the one” continues. The Filson is still the best looking and I probably will eventually pull the trigger on a noteworthy first edition, even without the warranty. Like @TinMan3 says, the wheels appear to be easy to replace DIY. Until then, since I am traveling next to never these days, I will just stick with my Samsonite Carryon. I’ll never get back what I paid for it back in 2011 and I might as well just run it into the ground.

Last time I used it was for a work related road trip to Maryland last year:

7E249F35-69F5-42FC-99A2-A86FA5701698.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Briggs and Riley is quite nice. However my quest for “the one” continues. The Filson is still the best looking and I probably will eventually pull the trigger on a noteworthy first edition, even without the warranty. Like @TinMan3 says, the wheels appear to be easy to replace DIY. Until then, since I am traveling next to never these days, I will just stick with my Samsonite Carryon. I’ll never get back what I paid for it back in 2011 and I might as well just run it into the ground.

Last time I used it was for a work related road trip to Maryland last year:

View attachment 1368906
On plastics. I think it’s great to be able to replace wheels but the real problem is the housings for the wheels and the bottom kick plates. These are the areas that snag on carousels and overheads and crack or tear. This is an issue with any case where the plastics meet another material - usually fabric- of the rest of the bag.

danfilsondill

Reaction score
my least favorite bag is my rolling carry on. Glad to hear others have this issue of it being SO unstable. I even sent it to Filson because even just barely full it tips over. They said there was no issue and sent it back. I kind of want to add something to the front two legs to make it have an easier time standing. A carry on should stand! Crazy thing is the check in bag is AMAZING and so sturdy. Don’t understand why the carry on can’t just stand haha

danfilsondill

Reaction score
I just received a small travel bag in otter. You can compare the size of this little guy to a navy medium travel bag and a tan large outfitter. (My house is starting to look like a Filson store.)
Looks great! Especially the navy.

McRiz

Reaction score
Looks great! Especially the navy.
Agreed. Navy is a great color. I also have large twill carry-on, journeyman, small travel kit and rolling check-in, all in navy. I think, however, you have everyone beat in the blue department, which is awesome!

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Agreed. Navy is a great color. I also have large twill carry-on, journeyman, small travel kit and rolling check-in, all in navy. I think, however, you have everyone beat in the blue department, which is awesome!
Still wish our Journeyman’s has twill front pockets!
I really wish I could get a navy wallet too. Maybe one of their one off restoration department jobs.

seven20

Reaction score
Still wish our Journeyman’s has twill front pockets!
I really wish I could get a navy wallet too. Maybe one of their one off restoration department jobs.
I wish there was a twill journeyman and a twill 24 hour.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.