Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. filip001

filip001 Active Member

Oh, okay, I was thinking of the pullman. :facepalm:

2. atoms

atoms Senior member

I received my 257. I'm very impressed with it, although the fit is a little tight for my liking for my computer.

For anyone else wondering, a Lenovo Thinkpad model W520 just BARELY fits into the inner sleeve that seems designed to house the computer. The width is the issue. The computer measures 14-11/16 wide x 2-5/8 thick (plenty of room left for height)

3. poena

poena Senior member

similar feeling with my 15" macbook pro.

the laptop rubs against the zipper when being put in and pulled out. it might get better as the bag breaks in but with the aluminum MBP I'd like to avoid scratches if possible.

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

Do you guys use sleeves or cases? Works fine for me for both work tablet and Mac

5. Trick1337

Trick1337 Member

Anyone wana swap a 257 for a 256? mine is tan

6. atoms

atoms Senior member

I do not use a sleeve or case. Your Mac is likely to have different dimensions than my computer. I provided the dimensions of mine above.

7. poena

poena Senior member

no sleeve or case on my 15" MBP

8. jeannoob

jeannoob Senior member

I use a 256, and I can fit my 15" laptop w/ padded sleeve into the main compartment. If the inner sleeve is too cramped for your liking why don't you just put your laptop in the main compartment? I'm sure it would be more than enough to accomodate.

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

My work fujitsu is just like your lenovo and I've fit both a 15in MBP and a 13 inch MBA all with sleeves with no issues in my bag. Not sure what the issue is?

10. atoms

atoms Senior member

That's true, good advice. If work provides a larger computer some day I can do that.

• 15" MBP = 14.35 x 0.95
    • W520 = 14.68 x 2.62

11. poena

poena Senior member

are you guys using the sleeve closer to the body or the ones further away in the 257?

12. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

anyone using a zippered tote? Thinking about one for those Spirit Airlines flights to vegas...seems pretty ideal for their strange dimensions.

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I have one, but have never been on a Spirit Airlines flight with it. I like using it even more than my 256, but it's not as masculine of a bag.

14. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Yeah, was thinking of the otter color, my other filsons are the tan color.

15. SaddleSC

SaddleSC Active Member

I have owned a Filson 261 Zipper Tote for a couple weeks now. I also decided to to with the Otter Green, as most of my other bags are in the classic Tan. To be honest, it is one of my favorite Filson bags because I find it to be so versatile. I like the open-concept main compartment, but also find the four exterior pockets to offer just the right amount of organization for travel. The bag is also deceptively large...I was recently able (using packing cubes) to fit all my stuff for a 3-day trip inside it and use the bag as my only carry on. I slipped my iPad in the side-pocket, a water bottle in the end-pocket and I was good to go.

Granted, I am a very efficient packer, but it worked great. As a daily-use bag, it is also great for the gym, etc. I also own both the 256 and 257 briefcases, but I find myself using my Zipper tote the most of all. Although perhaps not as "masculine" as a true briefcase, I think that the boxy design and darker color (otter green) make it sufficiently masculine that you will have no problems.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012