• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

tripreed

Reaction score
There have been a few examples of the zippered tote modification on this forum, but I can only find one:

I also remember someone cannibalizing another bag (I think a 256/257) that has the square leather patch with the D-ring and attaching it to the zippered tote.
That's perfect! I saved those pics to show to my leather guy. I will follow-up here if I end up getting it done.

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
There have been a few examples of the zippered tote modification on this forum, but I can only find one:

I also remember someone cannibalizing another bag (I think a 256/257) that has the square leather patch with the D-ring and attaching it to the zippered tote.
257 has the leather patch and D-ring for the shoulder strap.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a small duffle that was cannibalized. I just read about that one last week. I’m reading through the thread. It was somewhere before page 415. :oops:
Ahhhh :fonz: Page 415 is coincidentally the page I started posting with you fine Filsonados. It all started with a Rucksack spot during the beginning of City of Angels

Is the small duffle not long for this world?
I wouldn't be surprised, Bedrock got early in the habit of discontinuing bags that became obsolete (in their eyes). Think MTB...because of the revised Medium Duffel. Think #70257...because of they already had the #70256/#70258/24HR. Think Large Pullman...because of the new Small Pullman. Finally the Small Duffel could easily be replaced by the Bedrock designed 48HR Duffel. There's a plethora amount of other examples but you get my point I think.

The only thing that makes NO SENSE to me is the vast amount of Backpacks Bedrock Filson introduced over a two year span. They have to be considering or attempting to crack into the massive school criteria (elementary into College), which would explain the wide range of prices, options and fabrics.

seven20

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen I was searching online and one of the retailers I saw had the small duffle marked as discontinued by manufacturer and on closeout. This may confirm it (can’t remember who now)

It’s a shame to me that they’ve killed off some great bags. The 257 and 220 are the bags that I travel with exclusively for work. I can fit a full week in the small duffle (with one extra in the 257 usually) and can carry on both bags. I do think the 24 and 48 hour bags are cool designs, but I prefer the twill over the tin cloth personally. Glad I just picked up two small duffles this week for my boys before they’re NLA anywhere.

Cbfox

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen I was searching online and one of the retailers I saw had the small duffle marked as discontinued by manufacturer and on closeout. This may confirm it (can’t remember who now)

It’s a shame to me that they’ve killed off some great bags. The 257 and 220 are the bags that I travel with exclusively for work. I can fit a full week in the small duffle (with one extra in the 257 usually) and can carry on both bags. I do think the 24 and 48 hour bags are cool designs, but I prefer the twill over the tin cloth personally. Glad I just picked up two small duffles this week for my boys before they’re NLA anywhere.
Agree re the 257. I thought that was the perfect size; 256 being too small and the 258 being too large. I assumed that was one of their better sellers but must’ve been wrong.

I like the look of tin cloth, but don’t think it would be as durable as the twill (I’d like to be told I’m wrong as far as that goes) and it has less structure.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, this happened today to the 24 hr bag. Any ideas on repair, short of sending back to Filson (I use this bag daily and don't want to send it in) Until I took the picture, I didn't realize how much Golden Retriever hair the bag picked up :)
IMG_1127.jpeg

Cbfox

Reaction score
Well, this happened today to the 24 hr bag. Any ideas on repair, short of sending back to Filson (I use this bag daily and don't want to send it in) Until I took the picture, I didn't realize how much Golden Retriever hair the bag picked up :)View attachment 1343651
Pry up the tab on the slider just enough to remove the pull tab from the slot, replace the pull tab, and crimp the tab back down. The slot is shown in this picture.
5AC05066-A324-4B79-893D-3C3BD4716CD5.jpeg

Cbfox

Reaction score
Pry up the tab on the slider just enough to remove the pull tab from the slot, replace the pull tab, and crimp the tab back down. The slot is shown in this picture.
And you can even replace both of them with ones that say “Talon” . . .

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And you can even replace both of them with ones that say “Talon” . . .
Funny thing, I don't care what they say, or if they say anything, just want a functional zipper. Ordered some no-name parts from Amazon to fix them. I don't really care if it's correct, period specific or anything else, just want a zipper pull that works :)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny thing, I don't care what they say, or if they say anything, just want a functional zipper. Ordered some no-name parts from Amazon to fix them. I don't really care if it's correct, period specific or anything else, just want a zipper pull that works :)
I hadn’t realized it until recently but the picture of the Filson that literally got me into the hobby back in 2014, has a zipper tab that has broken off. It appears to have been modded with a simple keychain ring with the leather tassel attached. I like it even more now, and a solid idea for when the unfortunate happens. Only in my case I’m using solid brass or copper rings; great opportunity to attach things to it like a Swiss Army Knife or something.

Talon Era #258 featured in OUTSIDE Magazine.

36EF9B1F-931D-4304-802F-6557A7BA520D.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone see this listing on The Bay recently? Is this guy serious? Unless this was owned by a famous photographer, there's no reason to ask so much for something you can buy (currently) for under $500. Also this guy is clearly ripping off the posting style of @GzStudio and @TinMan3 . I even tried contacting him to explain why he was asking for so much, in a none combative way of course. Obviously he never got back to me. Also what makes this bag "rare"? Don't even answer that because if you have a look on his account, he uses that word in almost every listing.

Huh.PNG

On sale at same time.

huh 3.PNG

EDIT: I just saw that it sold, please tell me he ended his listing himself by listing it as sold, because if someone willingly paid that price (without research) then they deserve to have their finances removed immediately. The extra $20 for shipping is the epitome of greed

huh 2.PNG

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone see this listing on The Bay recently? Is this guy serious? Unless this was owned by a famous photographer, there's no reason to ask so much for something you can buy (currently) for under $500. Also this guy is clearly ripping off the posting style of @GzStudio and @TinMan3 . I even tried contacting him to explain why he was asking for so much, in a none combative way of course. Obviously he never got back to me. Also what makes this bag "rare"? Don't even answer that because if you have a look on his account, he uses that word in almost every listing.

View attachment 1343915

On sale at same time.

View attachment 1343916

EDIT: I just saw that it sold, please tell me he ended his listing himself by listing it as sold, because if someone willingly paid that price (without research) then they deserve to have their finances removed immediately. The extra $20 for shipping is the epitome of greed

View attachment 1343917
What I found interesting, was not asking price, but that 5 people were watching it at that price......

TinMan3

Reaction score

View attachment 1343915

On sale at same time.

View attachment 1343916

View attachment 1343917
Yeah he literally bought that bag from me for $275, tried to claim it never arrived, then when I told him there was nothing I could do because the tracking showed as delivered to his address he quickly reposted the item for $3k using my photos. So you are spot on that he literally stole my listing photos. I reported him to eBay but that never goes anywhere. Oh well, part of it.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.