• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Sunday everybody! It’s sunny and 55 in Chicago today so me and my “hunting” dog were out for a stroll. Vintage Flannel and wool cruiser vest, Filson dog collar for Chauncey. Raw denim and red wings of course. Not pictured, Smokey Bear Ebbets field flannels hat and Smokey Bear shinola watch and Benchmade Valet knife. Hope you’re all enjoying your Sunday as much as I am!

View attachment 1342626
So Chauncey huh? Pretty close to my dogs name "Chance". That flannel is looking good, which release is that?

I work on Sundays so I have my Friday's off, so no Filson for me today except my Journeyman. Although the placement of one of my Smokey pins has me pretty stoked

Speaking of Chauncey, always brings me back to this scene of Dr. Dolittle:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry fellas (and ladies) non-Filson post. Had to post a post-shine pic of my Red Wing Iron Rangers and Chelsea Ranchers. Their first drink in a year and man they needed it.
4B0A73B6-F605-4DBE-AD2C-018F7E5DDEB8.jpeg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TinMan3's shoe post inspired me to do a non-bag post too. Maybe it's the milder winter this year, but I can't say enough good things about the two Filson vests I bought (one with the 17oz shell and the other in 4.5oz). The heavier one worn with a thick hoodie replaces wearing a midweight Marmot down jacket. The lighter one I wear under spring weight jackets (like my Barbour) when I know it's going to be cold in the morning/warm midday/cold in the evening. In any situation, where I can wear a vest instead of a jacket, I will pick the vest every time due to the comfort.

The lighter one is 'imported' (in the photo) and originally I had said to myself I am only going to buy Filson made in the US, but honestly, this one has swayed me away (a bit) from being so dogmatic - if the quality is there. And it is. Shame Filson retired the design because a light weight canvas vest with the 100g Primaloft Gold insulation is a versatile combo.
Vest2.jpg

tripreed

Reaction score
Has anyone added D-rings to their zippered tote so that a shoulder strap can be attached? I have two of them and I'm thinking of taking one to my leather guys to see if they can do this.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Has anyone added D-rings to their zippered tote so that a shoulder strap can be attached? I have two of them and I'm thinking of taking one to my leather guys to see if they can do this.

Not me but an example I’ve seen 3CCFD32D-9F70-4003-8536-045AD6EA0B98.jpeg

seven20

Reaction score
Is the small duffle not long for this world? Both the Tan and OG are marked as Limited Edition on the site. I find that a bit curious.

Also, there are no other colors availalbe. I am almost certain root and blue were there a few weeks ago

Last edited:

kbui

Reaction score

There have been a few examples of the zippered tote modification on this forum, but I can only find one:

I also remember someone cannibalizing another bag (I think a 256/257) that has the square leather patch with the D-ring and attaching it to the zippered tote.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
It was a small duffle that was cannibalized. I just read about that one last week. I’m reading through the thread. It was somewhere before page 415. :oops:

tripreed

Reaction score
There have been a few examples of the zippered tote modification on this forum, but I can only find one:

I also remember someone cannibalizing another bag (I think a 256/257) that has the square leather patch with the D-ring and attaching it to the zippered tote.

That's perfect! I saved those pics to show to my leather guy. I will follow-up here if I end up getting it done.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

257 has the leather patch and D-ring for the shoulder strap.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a small duffle that was cannibalized. I just read about that one last week. I’m reading through the thread. It was somewhere before page 415. :oops:

Ahhhh :fonz: Page 415 is coincidentally the page I started posting with you fine Filsonados. It all started with a Rucksack spot during the beginning of City of Angels

Is the small duffle not long for this world?

I wouldn't be surprised, Bedrock got early in the habit of discontinuing bags that became obsolete (in their eyes). Think MTB...because of the revised Medium Duffel. Think #70257...because of they already had the #70256/#70258/24HR. Think Large Pullman...because of the new Small Pullman. Finally the Small Duffel could easily be replaced by the Bedrock designed 48HR Duffel. There's a plethora amount of other examples but you get my point I think.

The only thing that makes NO SENSE to me is the vast amount of Backpacks Bedrock Filson introduced over a two year span. They have to be considering or attempting to crack into the massive school criteria (elementary into College), which would explain the wide range of prices, options and fabrics.

seven20

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen I was searching online and one of the retailers I saw had the small duffle marked as discontinued by manufacturer and on closeout. This may confirm it (can’t remember who now)

It’s a shame to me that they’ve killed off some great bags. The 257 and 220 are the bags that I travel with exclusively for work. I can fit a full week in the small duffle (with one extra in the 257 usually) and can carry on both bags. I do think the 24 and 48 hour bags are cool designs, but I prefer the twill over the tin cloth personally. Glad I just picked up two small duffles this week for my boys before they’re NLA anywhere.

Cbfox

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen I was searching online and one of the retailers I saw had the small duffle marked as discontinued by manufacturer and on closeout. This may confirm it (can’t remember who now)

It’s a shame to me that they’ve killed off some great bags. The 257 and 220 are the bags that I travel with exclusively for work. I can fit a full week in the small duffle (with one extra in the 257 usually) and can carry on both bags. I do think the 24 and 48 hour bags are cool designs, but I prefer the twill over the tin cloth personally. Glad I just picked up two small duffles this week for my boys before they’re NLA anywhere.

Agree re the 257. I thought that was the perfect size; 256 being too small and the 258 being too large. I assumed that was one of their better sellers but must’ve been wrong.

I like the look of tin cloth, but don’t think it would be as durable as the twill (I’d like to be told I’m wrong as far as that goes) and it has less structure.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, this happened today to the 24 hr bag. Any ideas on repair, short of sending back to Filson (I use this bag daily and don't want to send it in) Until I took the picture, I didn't realize how much Golden Retriever hair the bag picked up :)
IMG_1127.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads