Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. jasonleb1

jasonleb1 Senior member

I think I'm going to go with the Rucksack. I looked at it's dimensions and it's only 2" wider than a Jansport backpack (I'm a college student, that's what I have the most experience with lol), however I've heard it can be quite large. I'm 5'6 and 130lbs, am I gonna look ridiculous wearing this? Also, any info on padding for the strap (whether we can buy the Vans X Filson ones from Filson, or another suitable alternative) would be appreciated.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^thanks for mentioning the sale. I bought some stuff... including a couple dog coats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jasonleb1

jasonleb1 Senior member

I bought both. I am weak...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

4. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

Just placed the order for #284 and #258....

5. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

[​IMG] I didn't even know those existed. If you find any suitable strap pads, please share! Thanks.

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

Think I'm too late, but I can go two months probably on a medium duffle, so it's definitely good for a weekend

7. mtbiac

mtbiac Member

#$%@#!!!! waited till morning to order because I couldn't decide on color or 256 vs 257, didn't realize sale was one day only, now prices back up. So pissed!

8. mtbiac

mtbiac Member

btw - looking for a 256, preferably in brown but open to other colors, if anyone trying to sell??

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Very nice. I wish they had those with chest and belly protectors, I'd have one in a heart beat. I have had the Filson collar and lead for quite a few years now. Of course they are great and have held up well to rough conditions.

10. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I bought a Brown and Green and only will be keeping one of them. I was planning to return the other but I could also sell it to you.

11. Reglawyer

Reglawyer New Member

Anyone have any advice on a tan 257 with a darker suit? I've been waffling on pulling the trigger and generally prefer the tan over the brown (not sure about the monotone look) or otter green, but I'm looking to make this my everyday bag aside from some concern of pairing it with a dark grey pinstripe.

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think either way the pairing of 256 with suit is going to look more casual. The dressier the suit looks the more of a contrast this will be.

It also depends on how your work environment is.

IMO for the 256 and possibly all Filson with formality from most to least, the colors would be brown, green, then tan, but it doesn't swing too much as we are talking about a canvas bag here.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

13. jasonleb1

jasonleb1 Senior member

Just won an Apolis on eBay [​IMG]

14. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

15. milesbeyond

milesbeyond Well-Known Member

Got my Mackinaw Cruiser and 257 today from Joe's. Settled on the 257 after spending a good while at the Filson shop in Seattle. It's huge but at the same time (maybe because it's still new and not broken in) still is thin enough to carry with a light load to work and back. For those on the fence, I personally think it's worth getting the 257 over the 256 to have the extra space. I was on the fence between the 257 and 258 and found the 258 to simply be way too wide to take to the office everyday. Chose the otter green because I liked the subtle contrast between the canvas and leather. Tan looks great worn but didn't want to match my Levi x Filson trucker jacket...

On another note, I mentioned that I picked up a very, very well used 256 last weekend off of craigslist. Snapped some photos. One of the most worn Filson briefcases I've seen in person...appears to be a factory second X out. The woman I purchased it from was a geologist. Terrible lighting, sorry. But it looks between a tan and otter green. It's so worn I can't even tell. It had a very strong grease/crayon scent to it. It was so worn I hosed it down and even threw it in the wash and dryer. It's been sprayed with half a can of Febreze as well. Still has the musk. Oh well. Enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]