• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

mgrennier

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen that 246 is really nice. I aspire to have something that nice from the 90s at some point in my future.

I was excited to see your new bag, but it appears you have the Filson x USPS in limited natural and mackinaw red. While I do like red, this one is too boxy for me personally
I do think the patina on the USPS x Filson collab is one of the finest examples we’ve seen though.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a new Filson product? Apart from the Filson Boot Oil, last I remember, Filson sold Obenauf’s HDLP for leather care. (now sold out on website). Nice branding and the 3 current reviews are positive.

067CB950-3F93-4FE9-8BAF-5DD32FF01F15.jpeg

F435059E-6FE2-46A8-8378-39EC48B51264.jpeg

mgrennier

Reaction score
Don’t you think the cardboard quality has degraded over the years though? Used to be I could dogsled to Whitehorse on a well waxed piece of USPS card.
Ah yes, and back in the "Talon Tape" era those boxes were tough as nails. You had to really fight to get one open. Now, I hear that they switched to that cheaper tape. They might say they're made in Seattle still . . . but I bet it's "with imported materials".

I might have to reach out to GZ or TinMan to see if I can get one of those Filson x USPS collab pieces. I hear that GZ's got a whole closet full of those old ones. I just hope I can get that musty smell out.

Any one have an ideas how to get rid of the musty smell?

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Is this a new Filson product? Apart from the Filson Boot Oil, last I remember, Filson sold Obenauf’s HDLP for leather care. (now sold out on website). Nice branding and the 3 current reviews are positive.

View attachment 1336685

View attachment 1336686
It’s been a little while. I remember using it last summer at one of their in-store demo events.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s been a little while. I remember using it last summer at one of their in-store demo events.
Hmmmm must be why I can’t remember the last time Filson stocked Obenauf’s, because why would they if they have their own conditioner now.

After showing my sister my growing Filson collection this past week, she was very impressed and fascinated with the history of the company. Funny how our reticular activating system works, because the very next day she texted me this:

5989EB41-C037-4B3B-B40F-9E8C94407976.png

seven20

Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing how the top was stained with mulch. That’s a different one

Flo3000

Reaction score
Zip Tote Mod:

hi there, any one of you ever modified his zip tote with a shoulder strap?

I already cut the leather pieces and found a matching D Ring but I an bit shure about the placement of the attachment points.

so my question... any ideas, inspiration, experiance?

Thanks flo

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zip Tote Mod:

hi there, any one of you ever modified his zip tote with a shoulder strap?

I already cut the leather pieces and found a matching D Ring but I an bit shure about the placement of the attachment points.

so my question... any ideas, inspiration, experiance?

Thanks flo
I guess the first question is why not just use the long handles to pit it over your shoulder? Perhaps you want the cross body option a longer strap gives.

attachment points - just below the zip on the sides seems logical - just like the briefcases. Worth noting the larger briefcases have a square leather patch sewn the the bag, then the D ring patch sewn and riveted to the square patch. This spreads the load.
Will you have someone else like a cobbler do this? Otherwise you’ll need an industrial sewing machine.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in thoughts on three disco tuned models: large Pullman, medium travel bag (246) and the short-lived large twill carry on (70081).

The latter has zips three-fourths of the way around but has a roll back storm flap.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in thoughts on three disco tuned models: large Pullman, medium travel bag (246) and the short-lived large twill carry on (70081).

The latter has zips three-fourths of the way around but has a roll back storm flap.
If I can recall past feedback:

Pullman - pros: high capacity, clamshell style good for larger clothing items like a sportcoat; cons: heavy and bulky when full; may not meet carryon size requirements for airlines.

246 - pros: versatile size, lots of pocket; cons: boxy shape when full may not be optimal for shoulder or hand carrying for longer duration

Twill Carryon: pros: clamshell style good for clothing but less bulky than large Pullman, strap attachment points on side rather than both on one side of bag; cons: button down rain flap is odd and overdesigned to some, model was introduced in a period when there were a lot of leather QC issues anecdotally.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Am I save in concluding you would regard your 242 superior in form and function?

BTW, there’s a 242 on the bay right now without the interior tie down straps.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Am I save in concluding you would regard your 242 superior in form and function?

BTW, there’s a 242 on the bay right now without the interior tie down straps.
I have the 242 and large Pullman. The 242 is most like the twill carry on in your original question in terms of shape and volume. Both are sort of suitcase shaped, both have large flaps. 242 is a clamshell, twill CO isn’t. One has a top handle, the other a pair of side handles like the 256.

In the real world there is little to separate them beyond preference and aesthetics. I happen to prefer the looks of the 242.
Cost may be a factor - no idea on US pricing on either, nor their general availability.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.