• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, really liked the Carhartt advert for the light hearted tone. The modern Filson catalogs have great photos and high production values, for sure. But for me, I find it a bit too contrived with the artful shots of people ranching, fishing, and welding. Too obvious that it is primarily targeting an audience who does none of these things (which is pretty obvious if you look at where they are opening the new Filson stores, I guess). I sort of liked the old homey Filson catalogs with the pictures of the gear and clothing from the 90s, truth be told.

TinMan3

Reaction score
OMG, really liked the Carhartt advert for the light hearted tone. The modern Filson catalogs have great photos and high production values, for sure. But for me, I find it a bit too contrived with the artful shots of people ranching, fishing, and welding. Too obvious that it is primarily targeting an audience who does none of these things (which is pretty obvious if you look at where they are opening the new Filson stores, I guess). I sort of liked the old homey Filson catalogs with the pictures of the gear and clothing from the 90s, truth be told.
I have to disagree with this for one reason. I feel like the new catalogs offer something that the old catalogs never did. The recent one from last summer on the forest service hot shots and the most recent on maritime have a ton of awesome information that truly reads like an informative magazine. It’s well written and worthy of sitting on a coffee table to read the different articles. Sure, a lot of it is fantasizing about jumping out of helicopters with parachutes and roaming the Puget Sound, but the information adds value in my personal opinion. I could do without some of the dramatics, but can appreciate the level of effort that a Filson is current investing in their catalogs.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with this for one reason. I feel like the new catalogs offer something that the old catalogs never did. The recent one from last summer on the forest service hot shots and the most recent on maritime have a ton of awesome information that truly reads like an informative magazine. It’s well written and worthy of sitting on a coffee table to read the different articles. Sure, a lot of it is fantasizing about jumping out of helicopters with parachutes and roaming the Puget Sound, but the information adds value in my personal opinion. I could do without some of the dramatics, but can appreciate the level of effort that a Filson is current investing in their catalogs.
I like the imagery and content too. The thing with commercial divers wearing tin cloth underwater a year or so back was cool.
All that said, this sort of content marketing is a prerequisite now for any brand that wants to showcase its integrity / authenticity / heritage - and justify its price point. So to some extent it has to be aspirational, but therein lies the falsehood of all advertising. In a world of hyperbole, fake news and all out lies, presenting a healthy and useful aspiration like fly fishing or whatever isn’t so bad!
Ultimately I’d rather have this and careful choice (by me) of what I wear and carry, than the disposability and blandness of mall fashion.
Now please excuse me as I go back to finding that bear I saw in my back yard...

mgrennier

Reaction score
I like the imagery and content too. The thing with commercial divers wearing tin cloth underwater a year or so back was cool.
All that said, this sort of content marketing is a prerequisite now for any brand that wants to showcase its integrity / authenticity / heritage - and justify its price point. So to some extent it has to be aspirational, but therein lies the falsehood of all advertising. In a world of hyperbole, fake news and all out lies, presenting a healthy and useful aspiration like fly fishing or whatever isn’t so bad!
Ultimately I’d rather have this and careful choice (by me) of what I wear and carry, than the disposability and blandness of mall fashion.
Now please excuse me as I go back to finding that bear I saw in my back yard...
I also like the content that is being presented in the catalogs. Part educational, part aspirational and very much supportive of where they think the brand needs to go. Do we really think that the average construction, forestry or maritime worker is going to buck up and pay $450 for a Filson tin cloth coat? Probably not - there seems to be a lot more Carhartt, Dickies or even Walmart-branded gear on those types of guys than you'd see wearing Filson.

But then again, you don't see a lot of John Lobb or Alden boots on the average businessman in this country either. Those brands clearly set their prices to be aspirational, while also attempting to reflect the quality of the product. (or at least attempt to influence the perception of the product).

I'm totally ok with Filson continuing to position themselves as an aspirational brand. The efforts to portray that brand in their catalogs is OK in my book. They're really well done!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a “new” Talon Era First Edition Filson to share, and rather then just reveal it, I thought I’d have some fun with you guys. So let’s play a game, a fun little challenge to test your Talon Era leather knowledge and memories, as I’ve already shared 3 out of 4 of these over the years. @GzStudio has an advantage because he sold me all but one in play 😂

Each Filson is from the Talon Era, and only a carefully tailored shot of the Bridle Leather is shown. Once the guessing ceases I will reveal the mystery bag.

What’s in play:

Talon Era Otter Green #257
Talon Era Otter Green #246
Talon Era Tan #264
Talon Era ??????????????

Just match the letter with what bag you think it belongs to, enjoy & good luck:

A.
DB426622-AE69-4966-8BEB-175C2D69282B.jpeg

B.
BBF3F89E-7885-43EF-9984-0C952C9B20F6.jpeg

C.
99F19DE6-684B-405D-9F82-E896907114DB.jpeg

D.
F0B226E8-AB48-4364-B940-5D4C735614FE.jpeg

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I got this....

A. 257
B. OG 260 - the new one?? That’s a long handle!
C. 264
D. 246

That’s some good lookin leather you got there OMG!
I like it. But I think the new one is D and I concur it’s either a 260 or 261.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha loving this. Curious to learn what are your other guesses for ABC are speedy?
I have no clue! Given they are all Talon bags I can’t make any guesses based on the leather condition or colour. And the lengths are all pretty close so that doesn’t help much either!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I’m moving my style 31 hunting vest on. Size large, pristine. I love it but it’s too damn big. I’m in the UK as you know but easy to mail to the US. PM me...

E5FFE7EF-089C-4FFD-8AD0-026AA2C1D9D0.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no clue! Given they are all Talon bags I can’t make any guesses based on the leather condition or colour. And the lengths are all pretty close so that doesn’t help much either!
No worries mate! Just wanted to have a little fun and levity with the reveal, also to see how much you guys paid attention to the little details like the leather color of all my Filson posts, especially the older members. Once I reveal it today, you might have a laugh at how obvious it all really was. But I'd like to have a few more guesses first, so have some fun with it guys :fonz: . I've had this idea for about a week and put some time into the shots. Just write out the sequence you believe it is, i.e. 257, 264, ???, 246

Last edited:

seven20

Reaction score
No worries mate! Just wanted to have a little fun and levity with the reveal, also to see how much you guys paid attention to the little details like the leather color of all my Filson posts, especially the older members. Once I reveal it today, you might have a laugh at how obvious it all really was. But I'd like to have a few more guesses first, so have some fun with it guys :fonz: . I've had this idea for about a week and put some time into the shots. Just write out the sequence you believe it is, i.e. 257, 264, ???, 246
257, 246, 264, ???

That’s my gut feeling answer

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
257, 246, 264, ???

That’s my gut feeling answer

Thanks to those that had a little fun with me here, it brought a smile to my face.

@TinMan3 was right on the money with my Mystery Filson, it was picture "B", good insight in the strap length.

@seven20 was close on two guesses, thanks for playing!!!

Here’s the correct sequence:

A. #246 MTB

Note the darkened leather which was a common of the late 90’s Talon Era.

521D6777-D71F-4E7E-9CBF-2B6DC3163524.jpeg

C. #257

Note with its unique light brown leather, indicative of the mid 1990’s first editions. @Soletrane has referred to it as almost perfect...I tend to agree

06233B49-8C81-4635-B3DB-6A1CBF6B45F8.jpeg

D. #264 Original Compartment Case

Note the curvature of the handle, which is indicative of these wide Sportsman Bags.

B9D81B45-D0A2-46A0-9724-319E1158D082.jpeg

B. Mystery Filson. Reveal coming soon

Note: Dependable USPS package handling at its finest. Luckily it's Rugged Twill and shrugged it off with style

63D6B881-9041-4969-819E-46E4CE4E9F22.jpeg

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 82 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 152 32.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 137 29.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 53 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 10 2.1%