• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not know if it is still available. I got mine off of eBay, but a call to the main number might yield something. For my use, that little handle piece made the tote significantly better.
I don't really "Need" one, but like the concept and my 24hr can get overloaded sometimes and I think it might help.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The zippered tote is as someone said the perfect ‘personal item’ for under the airplane seat. It is easier to store and access that random assortment of food, beverage, electronics and even clothing that you often need on a long flight or ride than any other bag I have tried. It just typically loses out to a backpack (for me) for its greater utility - particularly if you have to walk a lot - once you get to your destination. Though I find the zippered tote pretty comfortable to carry all day as long as it isn’t loaded up to 15-20lbs.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Soletrane has both the Ranger & Journeyman and uses both, he can definitely assist you. The Journeyman is my current favorite EDC. The combination of Rugged Twill, Tin Cloth, Brass, and Bridle Leather is exceptional. Granted the new Journeyman editions are without some Bridle leather, brass rivets, and a convenient pocket, so my advice would be to search for a first or 2nd edition.
The Journeyman is a great substitute for a briefcase on a business trip. It has lots of organization and is more structured. It also makes a good day bag for exploring a new city or a day hike. One of my most used Filson.

The Ranger is more a general purpose backpack. Some organization including a laptop pocket but mostly a large compartment to haul a lot of stuff. I would use it for leisure travel. Either for a one bag solution for a shorter trip. Or as a secondary bag to a checked bag on an overseas flight like when I flew from US to Australia.

The Ranger has a lot more capacity than a Journeyman due to the size and lack of compartmentalization. But definitely I would not use for business as it only has one hanging internal pouch (sole pocket) which impedes access to the laptop pocket.

My teenage son uses (abuses) a Ranger for school because he carries around an enormous amount of textbooks and notebooks each day (far more than can fit in a Journeyman or a typical Jansport daypack). The drawstring cord frayed away but the straps show no sign of tearing even though he often one straps it. It has my respect.

Last edited:

Zeke90

Reaction score
Any recommendations for cleaning the inside of a 48hr duffle? Using it at the hospital for the days I am on call for work.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any recommendations for cleaning the inside of a 48hr duffle? Using it at the hospital for the days I am on call for work.
I'm assuming you mean a general, routine type of cleaning. Nothing biological or anything like that. I just use a hand held vacuum to vac out the detritus, and then a damp cloth and maybe some Lysol wipes if it's really dirty. But that's just me.

TinMan3

Reaction score
Not sure that anyone cares to see a picture of the crotch of my pants but here you go. Don’t worry, I took them off to take the picture, didn’t try going selfie style.

I didn’t know until today that Filson still utilized Talon zippers on any of their current products. Yes these are brand new (2019 I would guess) dry tin work pants in Raven color. I was tired of working on my house and trashing my jeans so I figured a pair of repairable pants was a good idea. Plus it gave me an excuse to buy something Filson ;). Anyways, thought you Talon lovers like myself would be interested that they do in fact still make some products with Talon zips! And I’ve only worn them once, but they are comfortable out of the box and feel like great quality.

D2FD09F1-FBEC-42E6-AB7D-644A4A5CA667.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure that anyone cares to see a picture of the crotch of my pants but here you go. Don’t worry, I took them off to take the picture, didn’t try going selfie style.

I didn’t know until today that Filson still utilized Talon zippers on any of their current products. Yes these are brand new (2019 I would guess) dry tin work pants in Raven color. I was tired of working on my house and trashing my jeans so I figured a pair of repairable pants was a good idea. Plus it gave me an excuse to buy something Filson ;). Anyways, thought you Talon lovers like myself would be interested that they do in fact still make some products with Talon zips! And I’ve only worn them once, but they are comfortable out of the box and feel like great quality.

View attachment 1334368
Nice! Does it specify which production country they are like the Talons of old do?

CCF1897

Reaction score

View attachment 1334368
The featherweight down jacket I got last season has a Talon also.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got the dry shelter cloth shorts? Could you tell if you’d recommend? How is the sizing? True or a bit small?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone got the dry shelter cloth shorts? Could you tell if you’d recommend? How is the sizing? True or a bit small?
I had a pair a few years ago. They were most definitely not vanity sized.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair a few years ago. They were most definitely not vanity sized.
Thanks. Just ordered a pair on 50% discount and sized up. Hopefully they will be good and rugged for a trip that’s coming up.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone carried the zippered tote around all day while traveling - is it a pain with no shoulder strap? Is the medium field bag better? I need room to put camera and a few lenses, water, etc inside
I can get the zippered totes straps up on my shoulder and it used to be my main personal item, but since getting the Rucksack, I usually travel with the Rucksack as my personal item now. I prefer to spread the weight on both shoulders.
So I just received a Filson Ranger but I'm unsure if I'll keep it. It just seems very large for every day use. Can anyone who has one chime in? Perhaps the Journeyman would be better
I agree and the reason I am trying to unload mine. With the size it also doesn't fill any holes in my collection of packs. It is also more difficult to get things in and out of since it has not external pockets.

I've always found that the zippered tote doesn't always stay put on the shoulders when I'm carrying it so it's definitely subjective. I use it quite a bit as a carry-all for both my two young girls in and out of the city.

I've also used it to carry an insert with my DSLR (Nikon FF + 24-70 F2.8) but as others have suggested without an actual cross body strap it does get heavy after a while especially if you are also shooting with it on.

Great bag and extremely versatile but you do have to watch what you put in there otherwise the weight does add up.
Agreed on these points.
The zippered tote is as someone said the perfect ‘personal item’ for under the airplane seat. It is easier to store and access that random assortment of food, beverage, electronics and even clothing that you often need on a long flight or ride than any other bag I have tried. It just typically loses out to a backpack (for me) for its greater utility - particularly if you have to walk a lot - once you get to your destination. Though I find the zippered tote pretty comfortable to carry all day as long as it isn’t loaded up to 15-20lbs.
Agreed on this.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 75 17.0%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 146 33.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%