• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will also throw in my 2 cents
I bought a used 257 and it came with quite a strong smell that even my wife complained about.
That was about half a year ago and the smell is all but gone on its own through just use and airing out.
Perhaps the smell was from the previous owner keeping the bag cooped up - Filsons are meant to roam about freely
Exactly my experience. I did the vodka spray and the sun, but just using the bag a few times on trips seemed to do the most good. It might not work if the smell is very intense, but mine just had that old canvas tent smell.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Say, timf, I'm sorry if my post came across as critical of you. What I tried to say is yeah, I agree with you. There are some details that could be cleaned up - without doubt - on my double mac and clays coats. Yes they could be made better or come lined. However after wearing them for years, I like them just the way they are.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Filson people, sorry for the interruption. If any of our UK team is looking for a weatherproof leather original briefcase or weatherproof leather journeyman backpack then I'm going to be selling one or both of mine for what I think is a sensible price. Both have very little use and come with the dust bag. Please PM me if interested. Sorry again to interrupt!

Edit - not sure if I'm allowed to do this, it's been a while since I posted. Will delete if not allowed.
No apology necessary and yes you’re in the right place. Welcome aboard

mgrennier

Reaction score
I have the large twill carry-on travel bag in both otter and navy. I originally had it in otter and carried it for about 3 years. I think it's a very well thought out "travel" bag with an inside lining and inside zipper pocket for storing things. I fit a packing cube and the travel kit perfectly inside. I also like the way it carries, with the d-rings on the side. Fast forward 3 years, and I bought a large otter Pullman on eBay and thought it looked cooler than the 70081. I sold the 70081 and immediately regretted it. I used the Pullman once (or twice) but it felt too big for my personal use. I ended up getting the small tan Pullman when it was on sale. I didn't love the way it carried (subjective opinion) as the d-rings were only on one side of the bag. I thought the positioning of the d-rings would make it easier to carry, but, in my case, it seemed to make a heavier load more cumbersome.

Then I idiotically bid on a green 70081 on ebay, and stupidly won and got the same (but different) otter bag back. (Ironically, this green 70081 had extremely poor (awful) sewing workmanship with many loose threads, the memory of which was jogged by the recent post about the mackinaw Cruiser.) About a month after reclaiming the otter 70081, I made a ridiculous offer on ebay for a navy 70081, which was the color that I had originally wanted, thinking that the low-ball offer would never be accepted, and I won. So now I have a green and a navy.

Long story short, I love this bag. I don't think it's the best looking Filson bag, but it's the most practical (for me).

I also have a navy MTB, but I almost never reach for that one even though it looks cooler because I just like the way the 70081 packs and carry.
I haven't read the rest of the posts and replies to that post, but that is a bad-ass story that we ALL (at least most ALL of us) can appreciate. We've all bought Filson stuff we regretted (fly fishing net) and will never rid of (Heritage Sportsman) but many of us have that same exact sad story...

Oh well, it's a SMOM (small matter of money)

mgrennier

Reaction score
I want to visit this town. 17 people and they have an unofficial mayor. This is the form of kayaking that I am into. I have a vessel I am looking at buying soon. Maybe incorporate a little Filson Dry Pack and Duffel's into it depending on how @mgrennier likes his.

Awesome Filson Collaboration production. Something for everyone, even classic trucks with a really creative flooring @speedy611

Funny, @OtterMeanGreen - we just planned a camping trip in May to some random campground in the middle of some random town in the middle of random nowhere, Missouri. I was asked if I wanted to go:

My first thought was; YES - I can't wait to take my bad ass Filson medium dry duffle bag. Just going to throw that f'er in the river with all my electronics and clothes and important papers and extra $100 dollar bills and original birth certificates and hope it rains or even snows and then we get caught in a monsoon just so I can prove to my (doubting) relatives about the beauty of a Filson bag.

So yeah, there's that.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of the Mackinaw Jac-Shirt currently in the Filson catalog: 26oz wool, lined, snap buttons, taupe plaid pattern. Not crazy about it being made overseas at the $325 MSRP, but I have seen one in person and it's pretty sweet. So when the Winter Sale briefly had a Ombre Jac-Shirt (26oz Pendleton wool, regular buttons, no lining, made in USA) at a good discount, I thought what the heck, not a bad substitute since I was itching to buy something on sale.

So it came yesterday. I thought it would feel heavier (like my lined Mackinaw coat), but the lack of a lining brings the weight down (maybe a good thing for spring use). I also thought it would feel 'fluffy' somehow like a blanket (due to the 26oz wool) with more of a nap but it feels more dense than thick. It runs large and bulky so I had to size down to a small.

I wore it about last night in a damp, drizzly 41 degree weather last night (the weather conditions where I really think wool shines) and it was comfortable though a bit itchy where the wool touches bare skin. It has some lined slash pockets on the along the side seam and I was happy to find it had two large inner pockets which greatly increases its utility for me. The ombre color has brown tone that wasn't apparent in the product pic, and I liked it. Overall, I wasn't bowled over but wasn't disappointed either, but my gut says it will grow on me with use (like many Filson items) so I am keeping it!

Attachments

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing an old school black overcoat. UGH...
So what you're trying to say is that you now blend in with the NYC crowd? Are you sporting a Tumi as well to appropriately match it :lol:

I don't have any Filson purchases that I have regretted, as I either returned or exchanged them when I still had the chance. However I do regret selling my 24HR, as I know for a fact that the leather was of the more sound quality. But it would have made no sense for me to keep it with the search for my Talon 257.

I'm sure you will have a chance to prove them all wrong sometime, even if it's just not caring if your bag gets wet in a simple rain storm. You have no idea how important a "good" dry bag is though (or maybe you do) when you are camping. My best friend that goes Kayak Camping with me had rain penetrate his Walmart variety dry bag and soak his hammock tent and sleeping bag. So for 3 days he had to dry it over a campfire in early May no less while sleeping in a cold puddle for 2 nights.

sunvalleypow

Reaction score
My OG 24 HR....lately my every day carry. I have a Talon era Medium Field bag and zippered tote (both from GZStudio) that I love, but these days I'm loving the practicality and look of the 24 HR. I'm a petite woman but travel a lot as a filmmaker; the pockets and zippers of this bag are so convenient and since it scrunches up and slouches it doesn't look too big on my frame! Cameras/laptop or gym, it's been great. Note the leather handles on mine display the wrinkling some have complained about, but despite that the straps themselves are actually thick and supple and the hand feel is excellent. I've been riding hunter jumpers/dressage for 40 years and to be honest, it's not that unusual to have tack (reins, stirrup leathers etc) that exhibit this kind of wrinkling...though I think some were saying they've experienced terrible leather quality with the wrinkling. Luckily mine are 👍. 2018 build tag. THANKS to all for your expertise!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My OG 24 HR....lately my every day carry. I have a Talon era Medium Field bag and zippered tote (both from GZStudio) that I love, but these days I'm loving the practicality and look of the 24 HR. I'm a petite woman but travel a lot as a filmmaker; the pockets and zippers of this bag are so convenient and since it scrunches up and slouches it doesn't look too big on my frame! Cameras/laptop or gym, it's been great. Note the leather handles on mine display the wrinkling some have complained about, but despite that the straps themselves are actually thick and supple and the hand feel is excellent. I've been riding hunter jumpers/dressage for 40 years and to be honest, it's not that unusual to have tack (reins, stirrup leathers etc) that exhibit this kind of wrinkling...though I think some were saying they've experienced terrible leather quality with the wrinkling. Luckily mine are 👍. 2018 build tag. THANKS to all for your expertise!View attachment 1317432
Nice. I went to a large medical conference, and I saw more Filson briefcases than I expected. I think with maybe one exception, they were all 24h (though in tan). People carry a lot more than just 'briefs' in their briefcase these days (laptops, chargers, cords, gym gear, water bottles etc) so it makes perfect sense. I have made my peace with the loose grain/wrinkling, but the pitting/pilling sometimes found on the underside of recent era Filson straps still bothers me.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, @OtterMeanGreen - we just planned a camping trip in May to some random campground in the middle of some random town in the middle of random nowhere, Missouri. I was asked if I wanted to go:

My first thought was; YES - I can't wait to take my bad ass Filson medium dry duffle bag. Just going to throw that f'er in the river with all my electronics and clothes and important papers and extra $100 dollar bills and original birth certificates and hope it rains or even snows and then we get caught in a monsoon just so I can prove to my (doubting) relatives about the beauty of a Filson bag.

So yeah, there's that.
...And of course given all the air in the bag too you’ll be able to sit on top (with all the priceless items inside) and paddle that thing round all day long. This group demands photos of same. Ideally with you in at least one item of tin cloth and one of mackinaw wool.
:)

TinMan3

Reaction score
...And of course given all the air in the bag too you’ll be able to sit on top (with all the priceless items inside) and paddle that thing round all day long. This group demands photos of same. Ideally with you in at least one item of tin cloth and one of mackinaw wool.
:)
Yes, don’t forget about Moleskin, that should be in there somewhere as well ;)

345A996E-B634-4187-B640-0F94C90C3B0F.jpeg

So-33

Reaction score
image.jpeg

Snow day in Western Washington State today, 25 degrees. One of the few days I can wear a Packer Mack.
Having a few single Macks and Double. I find in my climate the single does the job most all days.
Let me say, what makes a single Mack work so well is the
24 oz. wool, doubled to 48 oz. on the back.
The Double Mack and Packer is triple thick 64 oz. back thickness, arms are 48 oz. on double Macks.
The full front pockets double the thickness.
Add a under layer of Filson heavy weight wool thermal, long sleeve shirt and sweater for real cold days.
The wool is breathable and water resistant and retains warmth when wet.
I don't see this mentioned when comparing a Mack to other heritage coat designs and materials.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 56 17.7%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 34.1%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%