• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love this customer review. It embodies everything I love about the Mackinaw Cruiser, its customer base and the company. C.C. Filson would be proud.

Mack Attack.PNG

pnwprice

Reaction score
All I can contribute, is that I think the fact that I can wear a daily coat that is 60 years old and people don’t know it’s 60 years old is pretty cool. A real classic garment.

Attachments

• FC849A80-5720-41FD-9493-C5667FAC31B5.jpeg
    FC849A80-5720-41FD-9493-C5667FAC31B5.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 936284FB-6FFA-49D0-95A9-E09F2AC445A9.jpeg
    936284FB-6FFA-49D0-95A9-E09F2AC445A9.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 159BC892-FF79-4CFE-A656-50E339000C82.jpeg
    159BC892-FF79-4CFE-A656-50E339000C82.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 97

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What color is your 24HR? That was my first Filson (after the Tan #70258 I exchanged it for), mine was Otter Green...but you'd probably expect that. I sold it right after joining this forum, actually my very first post was asking this thread's members if they wanted to buy it :lol: .

I've always kinda regretted selling it as I really liked it, with all it's pocketed glory, but as a minimalist I couldn't help it.

Also Activated Charcoal is a good idea because it can work while you work, just set it and forget it.
Mine is tan and I bought it as it is a little larger, with more organization options than the medium field bag that I use for a daily carry bag. I think I will be getting some activated charcoal this week and giving that a go.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
All I can contribute, is that I think the fact that I can wear a daily coat that is 60 years old and people don’t know it’s 60 years old is pretty cool. A real classic garment.

I love your coat. It’s really a nice looking piece.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Mine is tan and I bought it as it is a little larger, with more organization options than the medium field bag that I use for a daily carry bag. I think I will be getting some activated charcoal this week and giving that a go.
I’m in the Chicago area so I suffer the same weather as you. Even though we don’t get enough sun this time of year, it does happen. Don’t give up on turning it inside out and letting it air out outside, preferably with the sun lighting it up a bit. If it were me, I would try that for a couple several hour sessions. I would also do the activated charcoal.

You might not totally eliminate the must by doing these things. If you can get it much better, start using it. Use will get the rest of the must out as the bag picks up other daily scents.

My $.02. I’m no expert though. I do anxiously await your report of how this all works for you. I have a must problem with some of my Filson hats that I keep at my cabin. In that case, it’s oddly part of the charm. Those always improve with use.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m in the Chicago area so I suffer the same weather as you. Even though we don’t get enough sun this time of year, it does happen. Don’t give up on turning it inside out and letting it air out outside, preferably with the sun lighting it up a bit. If it were me, I would try that for a couple several hour sessions. I would also do the activated charcoal.

You might not totally eliminate the must by doing these things. If you can get it much better, start using it. Use will get the rest of the must out as the bag picks up other daily scents.

My $.02. I’m no expert though. I do anxiously await your report of how this all works for you. I have a must problem with some of my Filson hats that I keep at my cabin. In that case, it’s oddly part of the charm. Those always improve with use.
The strange thing is, it's only this one Filson bag that has the odor, my other bags (1 small field, 2 medium field, 48 hour and 256 briefcase) all have zero odor. All but the briefcase have been purchased used, so I suspect a storage issue with the previous owner. Will try "out in the limited Illinois sun" if we get a sunny day here. The musty smell isn't overpowering, just noticeable when the bag is sitting near, such as on car seat next to me. I do use it, and no one else has mentioned an odor from it, so either it's not that bad, or people are too polite to say anything :)

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The strange thing is, it's only this one Filson bag that has the odor, my other bags (1 small field, 2 medium field, 48 hour and 256 briefcase) all have zero odor. All but the briefcase have been purchased used, so I suspect a storage issue with the previous owner. Will try "out in the limited Illinois sun" if we get a sunny day here. The musty smell isn't overpowering, just noticeable when the bag is sitting near, such as on car seat next to me. I do use it, and no one else has mentioned an odor from it, so either it's not that bad, or people are too polite to say anything :)
Another option to try is white vinegar - sometimes used for household cleaning. Spray on, leave to dry / evaporate, repeat. I’ve had quite good success with this but it does require lots of applications (10-20) and some patience.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I will also throw in my 2 cents
I bought a used 257 and it came with quite a strong smell that even my wife complained about.
That was about half a year ago and the smell is all but gone on its own through just use and airing out.
Perhaps the smell was from the previous owner keeping the bag cooped up - Filsons are meant to roam about freely

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Hello Filson people, sorry for the interruption. If any of our UK team is looking for a weatherproof leather original briefcase or weatherproof leather journeyman backpack then I'm going to be selling one or both of mine for what I think is a sensible price. Both have very little use and come with the dust bag. Please PM me if interested. Sorry again to interrupt!

Edit - not sure if I'm allowed to do this, it's been a while since I posted. Will delete if not allowed.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will also throw in my 2 cents
I bought a used 257 and it came with quite a strong smell that even my wife complained about.
That was about half a year ago and the smell is all but gone on its own through just use and airing out.
Perhaps the smell was from the previous owner keeping the bag cooped up - Filsons are meant to roam about freely

Exactly my experience. I did the vodka spray and the sun, but just using the bag a few times on trips seemed to do the most good. It might not work if the smell is very intense, but mine just had that old canvas tent smell.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Say, timf, I'm sorry if my post came across as critical of you. What I tried to say is yeah, I agree with you. There are some details that could be cleaned up - without doubt - on my double mac and clays coats. Yes they could be made better or come lined. However after wearing them for years, I like them just the way they are.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Filson people, sorry for the interruption. If any of our UK team is looking for a weatherproof leather original briefcase or weatherproof leather journeyman backpack then I'm going to be selling one or both of mine for what I think is a sensible price. Both have very little use and come with the dust bag. Please PM me if interested. Sorry again to interrupt!

Edit - not sure if I'm allowed to do this, it's been a while since I posted. Will delete if not allowed.

No apology necessary and yes you’re in the right place. Welcome aboard

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the large twill carry-on travel bag in both otter and navy. I originally had it in otter and carried it for about 3 years. I think it's a very well thought out "travel" bag with an inside lining and inside zipper pocket for storing things. I fit a packing cube and the travel kit perfectly inside. I also like the way it carries, with the d-rings on the side. Fast forward 3 years, and I bought a large otter Pullman on eBay and thought it looked cooler than the 70081. I sold the 70081 and immediately regretted it. I used the Pullman once (or twice) but it felt too big for my personal use. I ended up getting the small tan Pullman when it was on sale. I didn't love the way it carried (subjective opinion) as the d-rings were only on one side of the bag. I thought the positioning of the d-rings would make it easier to carry, but, in my case, it seemed to make a heavier load more cumbersome.

Then I idiotically bid on a green 70081 on ebay, and stupidly won and got the same (but different) otter bag back. (Ironically, this green 70081 had extremely poor (awful) sewing workmanship with many loose threads, the memory of which was jogged by the recent post about the mackinaw Cruiser.) About a month after reclaiming the otter 70081, I made a ridiculous offer on ebay for a navy 70081, which was the color that I had originally wanted, thinking that the low-ball offer would never be accepted, and I won. So now I have a green and a navy.

Long story short, I love this bag. I don't think it's the best looking Filson bag, but it's the most practical (for me).

I also have a navy MTB, but I almost never reach for that one even though it looks cooler because I just like the way the 70081 packs and carry.
I haven't read the rest of the posts and replies to that post, but that is a bad-ass story that we ALL (at least most ALL of us) can appreciate. We've all bought Filson stuff we regretted (fly fishing net) and will never rid of (Heritage Sportsman) but many of us have that same exact sad story...

Oh well, it's a SMOM (small matter of money)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads