• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TinMan3

Reaction score
I have to say sometimes this thread feels more like a Filson praise thread than a Filson discussion thread. Which is fine, but also does not offer much new food for thought.
You’re not wrong. However, consider this. If you went to a passionate Apple discussion group and said that the iPhone and it’s operating system is underwhelming and somewhat sloppy and doesn’t really compare well to its competitors in the same price range, you can expect some pushback.

I think I always question what motivates this type of post. A reasonable person will know what kind of response they are going to receive (which I actually think was pretty tame from this group). We are a biased group. We found our way here because we love the brand and have found that it fits into our lifestyle in our own way. The mackinaw cruiser serves its purpose well. Whether it could be done better or whether it is worth the price or not is up the user. For me, its a tool that performs its function admirably without doing too much or too little, unfinished seams and all.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re not wrong. However, consider this. If you went to a passionate Apple discussion group and said that the iPhone and it’s operating system is underwhelming and somewhat sloppy and doesn’t really compare well to its competitors in the same price range, you can expect some pushback.

I think I always question what motivates this type of post. A reasonable person will know what kind of response they are going to receive (which I actually think was pretty tame from this group). We are a biased group. We found our way here because we love the brand and have found that it fits into our lifestyle in our own way. The mackinaw cruiser serves its purpose well. Whether it could be done better or whether it is worth the price or not is up the user. For me, its a tool that performs its function admirably without doing too much or too little, unfinished seams and all.
Well said. I actually don't mind these contrarian posts as I enjoy the liveliness of the discourse. As long as it remains civil on both the part of the OP and the Responders (which it did, I believe).

chiggyv

Reaction score
Ended up with an extra Travel Kit (Tan) after some issues with a repair. Letting it go for a song for any Filson Friends from this thread. PM if interested!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well said. I actually don't mind these contrarian posts as I enjoy the liveliness of the discourse. As long as it remains civil on both the part of the OP and the Responders (which it did, I believe).
Its great to see the last few pages of discussion remaining civil, I agree.
As ever, I think some of the nuance gets eroded by the medium of text only. For those of us who’ve known @OtterMeanGreen here now for two or three years we know him to be vocal, passionate and detail oriented! He’s also kept this thread going through drier spells which I appreciate. Per @TinMan3 I agree that this is a place for appreciation and the gentlest of criticism (that tricky trolley strap on the 48hr!). But it’s also a pretty complete discussion of all things Filson if you can be bothered to read back through all the history and/or search.

Anyway, random Filson sighting: I’ve been watching “Succession” which has been gaining lots of critical praise. It’s gripping and all very glossy with flawed corporate types swanning around in helicopters etc etc. Sneaking into a couple of shots has been a garment bag in tan and a Mile
Marker or similar. Both holding their own very well in the company of so much other bling.

McRiz

Reaction score
Does anyone find Filson's flagship product (flagship in the sense of being around since Filson's founding) underwhelming? I'm speaking of course of the Mackinaw cruiser coat. I handled my father's Double Mackinaw in olive green that he got in the 70s or 80s, and I found both the fabric and sewing to be underwhelming. The wool is lighter and felt looser woven than the wool on my grandfather's bespoke topcoat that I inherited (that one was probably made in the 50s). But the stitching is rudimentary and of a quality that I don't think matches Filson's price. (Quite frankly it reminds me a little of the "authentic" reproduction Civil War era uniforms, which are purposely made with crooked stitching to be true to the Union side's sloppiness)

I'm talking of inside seams with exposed raw fabric ends, not properly tucked into the seams to be unseen. Buttonholes are sewn then cut, leaving the fabric exposed; and not the other way around, which is done on all quality suits and coats. I do credit Filson for the good design and the abundance of pockets, although 1-2 large vertical pockets on the inside would be nice. And I think someone has touched on the lack of smooth lining, especially for the sleeves.

This is the first coat of this style I've seen in person, so I don't know if the fabric and construction is similar to Pendleton, LL Bean, and the like.
If you have a chance, I would genuinely like to see photos of the workmanship of this old Cruiser. Filson guarantees its "workmanship" and its advertised to be the "best". I don't know why this motto would not apply to poor sewing techniques, considering Filson sells everything at a premium.

mgrennier

Reaction score

Can't wait to get home from NYC to look at the seams on the inside of my Mack Cruiser.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a chance, I would genuinely like to see photos of the workmanship of this old Cruiser. Filson guarantees its "workmanship" and its advertised to be the "best". I don't know why this motto would not apply to poor sewing techniques, considering Filson sells everything at a premium.
Do you still have the #70081 as seen in your avatar? If so how are you liking it? I was really (and I mean REALLY) considering one for awhile. But decided that the MTB was the way to go for me. It might've had something to do with Talons, but I can neither confirm nor deny that.

TimothyF

Reaction score
No problem, probably sometime in the next 2 weeks I should be able to take some pictures of what I'm talking about. But I'll post here only if the frequent posters on this thread give me permission. After all I don't want to burst anyone's bubbles with well-documented facts. And if someone's faith is strong, who am I to say their God's work has imperfection? Pointless to start a discussion if some people just keep changing the subject and throw out a bunch of absurdities, but I can always PM you the pictures.

TinMan3

Reaction score
No problem, probably sometime in the next 2 weeks I should be able to take some pictures of what I'm talking about. But I'll post here only if the frequent posters on this thread give me permission. After all I don't want to burst anyone's bubbles with well-documented facts. And if someone's faith is strong, who am I to say their God's work has imperfection? Pointless to start a discussion if some people just keep changing the subject and throw out a bunch of absurdities, but I can always PM you the pictures.
Lol, it’s a free country, go ahead and post your pictures. You have my explicit permission.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I'll post here only if the frequent posters on this thread give me permission.
I'm still confused as to what your objective is here. When you first posted were you making a statement or did you want to have a discussion. That's normal etiquette in a forum, it involves posts and replies. Some will agree with you and some will not, but nowhere in this thread can I see unfair or uncalled for replies other then your posts, such as the one that I have quoted. As @TinMan3 put so eloquently when you have a large group of people who are passionate about a particular brand or product you can expect some push-back, however those that have responded to you (including me) have certainly provided you with resources and facts, to help educate you on the subject matter. So it's not just emotionally motivated.

McRiz

Reaction score
Do you still have the #70081 as seen in your avatar? If so how are you liking it? I was really (and I mean REALLY) considering one for awhile. But decided that the MTB was the way to go for me. It might've had something to do with Talons, but I can neither confirm nor deny that.
I have the large twill carry-on travel bag in both otter and navy. I originally had it in otter and carried it for about 3 years. I think it's a very well thought out "travel" bag with an inside lining and inside zipper pocket for storing things. I fit a packing cube and the travel kit perfectly inside. I also like the way it carries, with the d-rings on the side. Fast forward 3 years, and I bought a large otter Pullman on eBay and thought it looked cooler than the 70081. I sold the 70081 and immediately regretted it. I used the Pullman once (or twice) but it felt too big for my personal use. I ended up getting the small tan Pullman when it was on sale. I didn't love the way it carried (subjective opinion) as the d-rings were only on one side of the bag. I thought the positioning of the d-rings would make it easier to carry, but, in my case, it seemed to make a heavier load more cumbersome.

Then I idiotically bid on a green 70081 on ebay, and stupidly won and got the same (but different) otter bag back. (Ironically, this green 70081 had extremely poor (awful) sewing workmanship with many loose threads, the memory of which was jogged by the recent post about the mackinaw Cruiser.) About a month after reclaiming the otter 70081, I made a ridiculous offer on ebay for a navy 70081, which was the color that I had originally wanted, thinking that the low-ball offer would never be accepted, and I won. So now I have a green and a navy.

Long story short, I love this bag. I don't think it's the best looking Filson bag, but it's the most practical (for me).

I also have a navy MTB, but I almost never reach for that one even though it looks cooler because I just like the way the 70081 packs and carry.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My 24 Hour bag smells......musty, I bought it used on ebay and have tried to get the musty odor out with Febreeze (didn't work), something called ZorbX that I found at the grocery store (didn't work). Any ideas on something that might work?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 114 33.6%
  • 8”

Votes: 102 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%