1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. X_X

X_X Well-Known Member

Has anybody had their green bag turn brown?
    My green 257 is slowly fading and now longer looks like wax olive.
    How do I restore the waxy ness and green color?
    How do I remove slight denim stains and such?

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

you can't. the tan gets dirty. the olive fades. that's why some people like the brown. its most likely to stay consistent throughout its lifespan.

3. X_X

X_X Well-Known Member

What makes it fade, the sun?

Also, what the official SF approved washing, rewaxing method?

Searched but couldn't find.

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

My otter green 256 is fading in the same way, but only in some places. I'm not sure what you mean by waxy though. My bag was never waxy to begin with.

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

Mine faded a ton on top flap so would guess sun?

6. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  7. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Sorry its taken so long for the pictures. Anyway, here are some pictures to show the size of the Medium travler.

I didnt pack it very full, but just to get a general idea of what it can hold I included:

1 pair of percells
    12 t-shirts
    5 pairs of chinos
    1 sweater

And there is still plenty of room for undies, socks, and a dopp kit. Plus room in the exterior pockets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Thanks for not telling us who manufactured every item.

1 person likes this.
  9. C3ns0rious

C3ns0rious New Member

So I've read this whole thread and was debating between a filson 257 and a saddleback for a daily bag went with the filson 257 in brown I think a made the right choice thanks everyone for your post was very helpful

10. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I received
    the medium travel bag in blue. The colour is stunning, darker than I expected. Maybe not as classic as the otter green but I would get the same colour for the 256 and probably will.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  11. kdga

kdga Member

This may have been listed already but just in case, I'm seeing 20% discount (25% if you have a store card) at Brooks Brothers today and tomorrow, including Filson items. Just ordered an original briefcase and medium travel bag for $416 instead of $520, plus shipping.

12. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

i'm in the same boat. i find the pullman perfect for longer trips, but just a tad too bulky for a 3 day weekend.

13. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

PSA: TheClymb.com is having a substantial Filson sale right now. All Wool Duffels are $150, Levi's tote $165, Rugged twill bucket bags $100. They have some other bags as well.

If you aren't a member of theClymb, PM me for a referral and you will get $15 off first order as well (spam note: I would get a $15 credit as well). EDIT: Not sure if you get a $15 credit at this point, it used to work that way but don't know how they do it right now.

The Filson sale generally is quite large - lots of clothing as well but given that this is a bag thread thought you guys might find the bag info the most relevant. I'm hemming and hawing over whether to buy the wool duffel. I have more duffel bags than I know what to do with at this point (none of them filson, however).

http://www.theclymb.com/brand-event...Email&utm_source=ET&utm_campaign=042213+inov8

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  14. milesbeyond

milesbeyond Well-Known Member

Great deal on some apparel. No Medium in the westlake vest...which is a bummer. Hopefully being on the wait list helps me out! I know it's a bit sketchy...but considering getting a small and trying to exchange at the Filson shop here in Seattle...

15. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

does anyone have any thoughts on using the medium duffle in real life?

I have one at home that I am considering returning as while it looks cool, i think functionally it may not be all that.
    Seems a bit hard to find stuff inside of it, and is rather uncomfortable to lug around.

I also have an Rei Cargo Weekender http://www.rei.com/product/747934/rei-cargo-weekender-bag , which i currently use for all my weekend trips and it is alot more functional. U shaped zippers, mutliple compartments,lighter,etc.... and its only ~60 bucks. Of course its REI, and nylon. Not so cool looking.

16. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I've had my medium duffle for about a year. While I love the material and everything, I am disliking it more and more because of its size and weight. I probably would've been fine with a small. I find it easy to pack but lugging it around an airport or city is a bitch.

Maybe I'm just a pussy but I might look for a lighter and smaller bag.

17. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

Thanks. when I got my 256 originally, I wasn't used to the weight of it, espcially when full of books and stuff. Is it the same deal with your duffle?

18. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

I have a large duffel, and I just sling it around the shoulder.

19. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Yeah. It all depends what you use it for. If I needed it for a weekend golf trip, that's one thing. I fucking hated myself toting it around Asia for two weeks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  20. althanis

althanis Senior member

I've actually found that my Sportsman is uncomfortably heavy when I pack it, and hate using it as a carry-on now, and as an overnight/gym bag, which is basically all that I bought it to use for.

Been looking into a lighter bag. Saw the Qwstion Weekender and been thinking about it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013