• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson in the movies: I watched a movie called Blow. Johnny Depp's character carries around a Filson Rucksack in several scenes. The film is set in the 60s and 70s so this proves Filson was making luggage previous to what we've all thought.
I appreciate your humor. Had to look at your post a couple of seconds to get it lol. Not sure I can see a Rucksack being carried in the 60's though. Who would it fit stylistic wise better; the greasers or the socs? A little Outsiders for you

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good. I think the edge-stitching would be fairly easy and kinda fun.

Surely this wasn't a Filson-focused forum then - what is Filson for that isn't hard use? I mean, it's far to say that's some serious use, but as a guy who put over 130K miles in the air this year (and I'm not quite done), I get that some things get beat on more than others and it isn't neglect. As my Briggs & Reilly bags...

How long ago did you retire? ;)
Retired October 31, 2016. Due to some office politics, I took retirement at age 63, to get out of a BS situation. Could afford to do so, so did! Miss the interaction with the people, but not the corporate BS. However, don't get to carry a bag/case every day now, so the Filson I bought right before retirement isn't getting the wear/aging it needs. I am thinking of tying it to my bumper and dragging it up and down the street for an afternoon to "patina' it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retired October 31, 2016. Due to some office politics, I took retirement at age 63, to get out of a BS situation. Could afford to do so, so did! Miss the interaction with the people, but not the corporate BS. However, don't get to carry a bag/case every day now, so the Filson I bought right before retirement isn't getting the wear/aging it needs. I am thinking of tying it to my bumper and dragging it up and down the street for an afternoon to "patina' it.
We haven't met yet. Do you ride motorcycles? Filson makes superb saddlebags and top bags. Plenty of opportunities for sun fading and patina making

moto.jpg

TinMan3

Reaction score
By the way, I posted it on another forum and it was suggested that I abused the bag, it looked like I let a wild animal get at it, they wouldn’t be caught carrying it around, that I need to know when things are past their prime, and that I should simply buy a new one. I’m glad to see that at least some others feel the same way I do.
Well, I guess my thinking is that it doesn’t really matter if you’ve ‘abused’ the item. It’s clear that the damage is organic, as in, created during normal use so I don’t think your damage should be considered misuse.

Regardless, I think what concerns me and probably the rest of us is that Filson has a pretty explicit and famous guarantee. If they are choosing to say that they are not going to honor that guarantee anymore and rather than replace a well used bag with a new one or a full credit Then that guarantee is not worth what it once was. Btw, I’ve had a bag that was worse off than yours within the last year and they fixed it. I think it really depends who you get.

I would personally have requested at minimum a replacement. you have spent 11 years with that bag and in contact with hundreds even thousands of people. They have gotten their money worth in brand recognition and what a story you would have to tell if they were to honor their ‘lifetime warranty’. I’m very disappointed with this outcome.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peep the richness of the patina in this leather.

Even the twill has Hulk Matter :lol: BTW not a bad price for a practically new TAN Talon #248

Speaking of CRAZY good deals and #248's

Cbfox

Reaction score
I know if at least 5 folks that bought a briefcase or tote bag as a result of seeing mine. Other have asked what it is, but I’m not sure of where it went from there.

Part of the reason I posted this is so that folks have a realistic expectation regarding their guarantee. I’ll take some better pics of the interior and will post this eve so you can see that it still has integrity.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't ride bikes, have a GTI and not much sun fading going on there :)
What year is your GTI? Was considering picking a Rabbit up next year but not after the stalling issues they've been having, which is scaring me away from the brand. I'm now considering this new-dinosaur. The last of the EJ-20. Just have to decide what color I want and save up for the embarrassing mpg's (22 highway / 17 city)
subbie 1.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What year is your GTI? Was considering picking a Rabbit up next year but not after the stalling issues they've been having, which is scaring me away from the brand. I'm now considering this new-dinosaur. The last of the EJ-20. Just have to decide what color I want and save up for the embarrassing mpg's (22 highway / 17 city)View attachment 1290952
mine is a 2017 GTI Autobahn version, I have 25K miles with ZERO ISSUES, I have had a variety of different cars in my life and this one, so far, has been the least troublesome, most fun to drive, of any of them (and that list includes BMW, Jeep, Chevy, Cadillac, limited production Carrol Shelby stuff) I would buy another GTI in a heartbeat if I needed to.

Cbfox

Reaction score
Here are some additional photos showing the briefcase. I had called them after signed of fraying showed years ago, and they said that is to be expected and suggested I wait to send it in. The bulk of the damage is where the bag comes into contact with my right leg.

Attachments

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here are some additional photos showing the briefcase. I had called them after signed of fraying showed years ago, and they said that is to be expected and suggested I wait to send it in. The bulk of the damage is where the bag comes into contact with my right leg.
Great photos, but of more importance, what is the Bass guitar in the photos ?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mine is a 2017 GTI Autobahn version, I have 25K miles with ZERO ISSUES, I have had a variety of different cars in my life and this one, so far, has been the least troublesome, most fun to drive, of any of them (and that list includes BMW, Jeep, Chevy, Cadillac, limited production Carrol Shelby stuff) I would buy another GTI in a heartbeat if I needed to.
To be fair it's actually the 2019's that are the culprit so much that there's a 100+ page thread with tons of owners complaining about the same issue without a fix or patch in sight. There's a list of owners that filed complaints with VGOA and have even had dealer buy-backs. Glad you're not having any of the issues with yours. I'm very much looking forward to owning one of the last hydraulic steering, fuel injected, 6 speed manuals on the market with the push for direct injection and smaller turbos.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the bass guitar is my 10 year old’s. It is a vintera mustang bass (short scale). My kids mess around in a band, mostly to raise money for dog rescue groups.
That's pretty awesome. If they like the idea of mixing things up a bit, this is a good take on that (strange as it looks, but the guy is really talented - can't recall where I found him):

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40