• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s very cool to have visited the cabin. What an experience. I can’t imagine being there for such long periods, and especially over winter. Interesting mental fortitude and good skills.
When I read about people like this, I am always struck by the thought just over a 100 years ago, these skills (and the accompanying mental fortitude) would be had by a good proportion of the US population. And over 200 years ago, the majority of the US would have these skills since most people lived in harsh rural or frontier environments.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I read about people like this, I am always struck by the thought just over a 100 years ago, these skills (and the accompanying mental fortitude) would be had by a good proportion of the US population. And over 200 years ago, the majority of the US would have these skills since most people lived in harsh rural or frontier environments.
Yes. I suppose there is a hierarchy of needs discussion here. Having self reliance skills is great, and if you have no choice in the matter, they provide enough for you to live, perhaps even relatively comfortably.
Today’s society has different skills and those are bourne of a different set of interdependencies. Overall the “quality” is better, but perhaps we’ve gone too far and suffer for some of our excesses.
For medical care, abundance and choice of food, societal acceptance of difference and knowledge of the world around me I pick today. But for clarity and peace of mind, first hand skills in making and producing, there is a lot to be said for 100 years ago.

CCF1897

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had encountered Dick Proenneke? He built a cabin in Alaska by hand in the late 1960s and was pretty self sufficient there for 25 odd years.

View attachment 1272645

I just read his book, which was inspiring both for his clarity of purpose and ability to craft a lot with simple tools and hard work.

I found a few clips of his life on YouTube. In one he seems to be wearing Tin Pants, which you’d imagine to be pretty ideal for the circumstances. He seems to have been a real outdoorsman, with a great appreciation for nature and solitude.

Book link:

There is a lot of videos on YouTube on Dick. I enjoy watching them. If interested there is a fellow who has a great youtube channel, called "MY Self Reliance" He moved to the wilderness a few years ago and left his office job. Built a cabin and other structures and documents it all. Wears the filson clothing and uses all hand tools for the most part. He has an Instagram page under the same name.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of videos on YouTube on Dick. I enjoy watching them. If interested there is a fellow who has a great youtube channel, called "MY Self Reliance" He moved to the wilderness a few years ago and left his office job. Built a cabin and other structures and documents it all. Wears the filson clothing and uses all hand tools for the most part. He has an Instagram page under the same name.
Thank you! I just found that channel today and have saved a video from it to watch later.

CCF1897

Reaction score
Thank you! I just found that channel today and have saved a video from it to watch later.
It's a few years of videos so if you like what you see best to start from early on. Impressive what this guy does.

GzStudio

Reaction score
I will say that my brother and his wife lived somewhat like this for many years in Alaska, including with children albeit a little closer to civilization, but had no running water, no bathroom, and no electricity. I helped build their small house. Before they built their cabin, they lived in a wall tent.

CCF1897

Reaction score
I will say that my brother and his wife lived somewhat like this for many years in Alaska, including with children albeit a little closer to civilization, but had no running water, no bathroom, and no electricity. I helped build their small house. Before they built their cabin, they lived in a wall tent.
That is really awesome. My dream really, but not sure my wife and kids would come along for that adventure...but i'll keep working on them! Small steps, trying to change the beach vacations to the mountians as a start.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This got posted on one of the Filson FB groups and I thought was rather cool. It’s a very early (1910-20) cruiser. You can certainly see the similarities with today’s cruisers! It’d be amazing if Filson did a rerun of some of these really old styles.

8A890C6C-38DA-44D8-8461-8BA6E4BA65A1.jpeg
466D0376-1ED3-4C88-A372-1EA0E502F767.jpeg

Canuckle

Reaction score
You folks may enjoy this channel on youtube:

If you liked the Alone in the wilderness you will like this. He doesn't talk much and just lets the sounds and sights of nature shine through. Very relaxing to watch.

CaryGooper

Reaction score

wish Fenimore Twills were still around. Thankfully the little woman is great at repairs.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 74 16.9%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 144 32.9%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 8 1.8%