• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there is also a problem here for brands like Filson in the perception of value vs luxury? Ralph Lauren or Belstaff have managed to justify their margins via marketing and brand management without needing to maintain all production in USA / UK respectively. But they are viewed as a luxury brand, both by their wearers and by the public at large.
Filson is different. We might see it as luxury (or not) - but we are atypical in our understanding. The general public doesn’t see a Filson bag and think of it as much more than a nice canvas bag - and certainly not above a Gucci or even Coach in terms of quality and materials.
So how does Filson grow, maintain and extend brand value whilst sustaining the original quality. It’s a very, very fine balance.
One option is sub - branding - Eg Polo CS Purple Label for RL. Another is lower end of the market items that are better quality than TK Max but less than the flagship, and can serve as an intro to the heritage and provide and up sell pathway.
And so we have Filson T-shirt’s in all varieties, Dryden bags, etc etc. All made quite well, but without the costs.
Complicated stuff, and not something I criticize Filson for. I’m just glad many of the classics are available, and some of the new stuff is also great - ultralight jacket for example.
Now, excuse me, I need to go and work on the patina of my 1994 hunting vest...
I think one of Filson’s Unique Selling Propositions (borrowing a term from my MKT101 class) is that it is Made in America. RL may be built around the appeal of classic/traditional American attire but I don’t think the actual place of manufacture figures as prominently among the brand appeal. It’s not so much about ‘authenticity’ with RL but capturing and selling this mythical preppy mid-century American style to a broad consumer base. Mind you, it is challenging to talk about RL as a single brand as they have so many sub-brands from Chaps to Purple Label with different price points and retail outlets.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the 257. Anyone had trouble bringing it on flight and the airline indicated its too large for a carry on? I wanted to bring this as my personal bag and then still have my small carry on overhead luggage
Do not think this will be a problem unless you are on a plane with very little overhead space like one of the smaller Embraer jets.

Zeke90

Reaction score
Do not think this will be a problem unless you are on a plane with very little overhead space like one of the smaller Embraer jets.
ah great. jus worried the airline wont let me have jt as a personal bag i can stow underneath the seat infront of me, that would be a disaster

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah great. jus worried the airline wont let me have jt as a personal bag i can stow underneath the seat infront of me, that would be a disaster
I have placed a full Sportsman under the seat in front of me so I am sure that a 257 would fit under most jet seats.

When I am unsure, for example when I am carrying two largish bags (I.e. both carry-on size) and there is a potentially strict gate agent, I will place the smaller of the two bags cross-shoulder with the bag laying across my back (bike courier style) so the agent just sees a shoulder strap from the front. The larger bag then is carried in my hand. As long as the bag in my hand is an acceptable size for carry-on, I am homefree as the gate agent tends to just look forward to the next passenger mainly looking for larger wheeled bags to gate check. I will still shove one under my seat so it’s not like I am trying to beat the system.

mgrennier

Reaction score
You’ll never have a problem with the 257 for a second carry-on. It’s a briefcase. Will ALWAYS work. Trust me.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda dissatisfied with new Filson bags. I have about half-a-dozen bags from the past ten years, and having just bought a duffle...the fabric seems cheap and thin compared to my older duffles. 😔

bucky0486

Reaction score
I'm kinda dissatisfied with new Filson bags. I have about half-a-dozen bags from the past ten years, and having just bought a duffle...the fabric seems cheap and thin compared to my older duffles. 😔
Can you share some more details (what are the older bags you have and which new duffle did you get) and some pictures?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard some rumblings that Filson has sales. Are these usually product specific? Also what sort of deal is there? Just wondering as I am still looking at totes. Are 3rd party sites better for deals?

pnwprice

Reaction score
I heard some rumblings that Filson has sales. Are these usually product specific? Also what sort of deal is there? Just wondering as I am still looking at totes. Are 3rd party sites better for deals?
There is usually a big summer sale mid-summer, and a big holiday sale as well. You can get some really great deals if you catch them fast enough. This last summer sale had really great deals on (now) discontinued duffles, totes, etc. I was able to get a couple small duffles for less than 180 bucks I think. Small pullman went on sale for under $200 too.

TinMan3

Reaction score
There is usually a big summer sale mid-summer, and a big holiday sale as well. You can get some really great deals if you catch them fast enough. This last summer sale had really great deals on (now) discontinued duffles, totes, etc. I was able to get a couple small duffles for less than 180 bucks I think. Small pullman went on sale for under $200 too.
Discontinued being the key word. I have never seen them put anything for sale that then is available for full price later on. The only things that go on sale are colorways that are not coming back or styles that are being discontinued, so if you’re hoping for a tan 261, it’s not likely to be part of the sale.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discontinued being the key word. I have never seen them put anything for sale that then is available for full price later on. The only things that go on sale are colorways that are not coming back or styles that are being discontinued, so if you’re hoping for a tan 261, it’s not likely to be part of the sale.
I think this summarizes it. I was thinking through all my Summer or Winter Filson sale item purchases over the last 4-5 years, I can't think of one example where it was available post-sale at full MSRP - at least in the same color. This also applies to other online retailers - they typically are only offering discontinued colors or styles at a discount. If you're flexible you can get some good deals this way.

CaryGooper

Reaction score
I think this summarizes it. I was thinking through all my Summer or Winter Filson sale item purchases over the last 4-5 years, I can't think of one example where it was available post-sale at full MSRP - at least in the same color. This also applies to other online retailers - they typically are only offering discontinued colors or styles at a discount. If you're flexible you can get some good deals this way.
I like having Filson items that are no longer available. It is also enjoyable predicting which items will disappear quickly. Most of the “why” is a mystery.

speedy611

Reaction score
I like having Filson items that are no longer available. It is also enjoyable predicting which items will disappear quickly. Most of the “why” is a mystery.
I think the “why” is either lack of sales, cost prohibitive to continue to manufacture (242 large carry on and Pullman), or an improved design.
On lack of sales - it’s possible that some items are released as a market test to verify whether a category of product might be successful. The meridian line of duffle and tote might have been examples - do they validate the market for more airline friendly bags?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CaryCooper, I also don’t mind having discontinued items. If I like it, it doesn’t matter to me at all if it’s no longer available. In fact, when I happen to be sporting my typical discontinued gear - like the navy Journeyman backpack - it always gets some sort of positive feedback from the Filson store associates. Come to think of it, I am not sure if I have anything that can still be bought new in the same color or material.

Featured Sponsor

WHAT'S THE MAX NUMBER OF SHIRT BUTTONS YOU'LL UNDO BEFORE FEELING OUT OF PLACE?

• Just the collar button is enough for me.

• Two, including the collar button.

• Three, including the collar button.

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.