Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. jasonleb1

jasonleb1 Senior member

Check Filsons Facebook. If you download the LikeItReal app and take two pics of Filson products (you can take a picnof an online picture if you dont own a Filson product) and share them on your Facebook you'll get a code for 15% off.

2. jeannoob

jeannoob Senior member

Well, from what you're looking for, the rucksack is definitely durable and aesthetically pleasing . However, in terms of comfort and versatility I personally would not recommend it. Unless you plan to pack light every time or carry the bag for short amounts of time, the narrow bridle shoulder straps can get quite uncomfortable along with no back support. On a heavy load, I found that the bridle straps begin to dig into your shoulders and it also pains your neck. Also, the two leather buckles can get quite tedious if you need to access your bag frequently (I just left it undone most of the time).

Currently for school I rotate between my Filson 256 and a Deuter backpack (for heavier stuff). The 256 can get heavy as well, but when it does I just carry it by hand.

I think this might be more suitable for you - http://store.archivalclothing.com/products/copy-of-archival-rucksack-gray-waxed

3. althanis

althanis Senior member

Cool, thanks.

4. myk7000

myk7000 Senior member

My first post, devoted to praising Filson.

Got a 257, and think it's a very well constructed bag. Was a bit worried that it would be too large for a guy my size (5'7" 145 lbs), but looks fine and not too oversized. Saw the 256 in person, and found that it wouldn't carry much other than a small laptop, so that's why I went with the 257.

Hopefully this lasts me the rest of my life (which I cannot expect from other bags).

Cheers!

5. krn.nyc

krn.nyc Well-Known Member

To 256 owners, do you find this true?

Thanks!

6. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

Thanks for the info. My package is still in the sorting facility of USPS in NYC, hope to get it soon [​IMG]

7. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

No. I can fit my 17" laptop in there easily. I can't imagine carrying anything bigger than the 256 on a daily basis, honestly. I guess it depends on how much other stuff you want to carry along with it.

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

You can definitely carry more than just a small laptop. I believe there are other pics earlier in the thread with what people have been able to carry in it.

9. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

I believe this bag was a limited run from a few years ago (2010?). I haven't seen one for sale myself, but it seems they have appeared on ebay from time to time.

10. Mandor

Mandor New Member

Ok, thanks for the reply. I guess I'll get the regular Filson rucksack in that case. The only thing I'm worried about is if the shoulder straps will end up digging in, like someone else mentioned in this thread. I plan on using the rucksack mostly for travelling, which means holding a sweater, some food and water, travel book, etc. In the end, it could get pretty heavy. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Do you know of anyway I could get pads for the shoulder straps to prevent this from happening?

11. MikeSwartz

MikeSwartz Well-Known Member

Huh. I have a 257 and a 13" laptop, and with a padded sleeve I can barely slip it in without scraping it against the zippers. I would never be able to use a 256 and I carry a few cords, a hard drive, a 13" laptop, an iPad, a kindle, a notepad and a smattering of adapters and thumb drives. Theres room if I wanted to shove more stuff in there but with that setup everything is nice and accessible and it's not very heavy. Also, I'm 6'0 and carrying the bag it doesn't look oversized at all. Perfect briefcase size. I know for me a 256 would be very impractical. Not as much organization or space and the fact that it's smaller and lighter doesn't make up for it.

12. jeannoob

jeannoob Senior member

^weird. I can fit my 13" macbook pro with a padded sleeve fine into my 256.

13. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

All Filson items are part of the ongoing BB sale of 25% off, but they have limited items. My SA mentioned that the 257 Tan are down to 2 items on inventory. Plenty of Otter Green

14. tomee

tomee Senior member

no more tans.

had some stuff in my cart and went to checkout only to be told it sold out :(