Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I'm 5'5" and have a zippered tote. I thought the only difference was the zipper and don't issues with it dragging on the ground but I usually throw it over my shoulder. I just tried holding it in my hand and it does not touch the ground. It's probably got at least two or three inches between the bottom of the bag and the floor barefoot.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

2. jeannoob

jeannoob Senior member

@krn.nyc

What do you plan on using the rucksack for? School?

3. krn.nyc

krn.nyc Well-Known Member

I've just finished up school and am now exploring the tech/start-up industry now (a.k.a entrepreneurial endeavor) so my requirements are pretty flexible. I just need something that's versatile, durable and comfortable- and preferably not ugly. I thought the rucksack might fit the description.

The briefcase seems great but I've always had some shoulder problems with messengers and it doesn't seem as grab-and-go as the rucksack. Maybe I'll get a Filson briefcase further down the line.

Should I reconsider pulling the trigger on this?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

4. althanis

althanis Senior member

I also wouldn't mind hearing of any discounts on the 256; my brother loves the quality of my Sportsman bag and wants a 256 for his own use.

5. CTfunk

CTfunk Well-Known Member

I coincidentally caught 2 rain storms while carrying my navy red label tote, the tan leather handles now have some very unflattering water spots as well as wrinkles, does anyone have similar experiences? Or is it merely normal wear and tear? Thanks.

6. Northernco

Northernco Member

I've now carried my tan 257 everyday for 6 months and it only shows minimal use. Still smells new and looks new. My medium duffle in green however, has been on many flights and roadtrips and is showing fading. But, filson is manly and rugged and fading, age, and wear are all good things with these bags and gear. I'll be buying a garment bag this month, probably in green too.

7. Northernco

Northernco Member

I've now carried my tan 257 everyday for 6 months and it only shows minimal use. Still smells new and looks new. My medium duffle in green however, has been on many flights and roadtrips and is showing fading. But, filson is manly and rugged and fading, age, and wear are all good things with these bags and gear. I'll be buying a garment bag this month, probably in green too.

8. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

nope, I Obenauf my leather. You can probably just use water and a cloth to brush our the water spots though.

9. Pennypacker

Pennypacker Member

Does anyone use the Filson Travel Kit as a dopp? Any comments on the quality and usefulness? Pictures? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

10. jasonleb1

jasonleb1 Senior member

Wound up getting that Otter Green 257. Now I'm getting a Tan 256, just can't resist any longer, especially with the 15% off [​IMG]

11. althanis

althanis Senior member

I was tempted to buy it, but seriously $90 is a little bit ridiculous I think. At Chapters here in Canada, they had a travel kit made out of canvas, and it was on sale for $15 a few weeks ago, I picked up two. I'm sure it's going to last a long time.

I also realized that the "pay more, buy less" philosophy needs to have certain limits and should be used with a healthy dose of common sense.

Which 15% off is this?

12. Mandor

Mandor New Member

13. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

I have one since they were giving them away for free if you bought two bags from filson simultaneously. I also had a 15% off coupon and one of the bags was half off for some reason, so it wasn't a bad deal.

I use the Dopp kit on occasion, but you can't carry them on airplanes (no liquids!) so they aren't very popular in general. I think this is why filson was giving them away for free.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

It's not like the dopp kits have liquid embedded in them. I still carry a dopp kit around when I travel in addition to my plastic baggie, but not the Filson one/.

15. Pennypacker

Pennypacker Member

Filson seems to give the dopp for free quite often. I've seen them give it out as swag at press events too. I've also seen them go for half off through third party retailers. It's especially hard to justify the $90 tag in this light. Thanks for the input.

re: liquids: the best shampoos and soaps come in solid bar form IMHO.