• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

pnwprice

Reaction score
That’s very striking! The leather is beautiful. Does the red twill fade with time? I think a more washed out colour would appeal to me more, but perhaps the pop is what you like? Anyway, congrats.
Time will tell! The natural leather tends to age very beautifully.

speedy611

Reaction score
To complement a red duffle...
I stumbled on this pretty rare red nanamica tote in Canada if it’s if interest to anyone. No affiliation to me etc.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the 48 hour and have traveled quite a bit with it. I've had it for about two years now.

I've had no concerns with the wear and tear on the tin cloth. Mine is holding up very well and is in great shape.

I've also had the 24 hour bag (which is basically the same bag, just smaller) - it was also a great bag but I did notice a bit more wear and tear on the corners of that bag along with the front pocket zippers not being as sturdy as the traditional Filson super-strength zippers (it was actually the fabric around the zippers that failed on mine - Filson took care of me though). Each of these issues were caused by my daily carry of the 24 hour bag - the 48 hour bag will just get a lot less use. Even if you travel a ton, there is no way it will go through as much wear and tear as any daily carry bag.

I can't recommend the 48 hour bag enough. I think it's one of the most well-designed bags that the modern Filson company has produced.

There are some real purists on this forum who will only do the thicker twill bags. I have a lot of respect for them and their wants, but trust me, the 48 hour bag will suit you VERY well for years and years and years.

The only risk of you hanging out on this forum is that the desire to buy the next and the newest (or maybe better said as the 'oldest') bag on this forum is very addictive. That desire will undoubtedly be stronger than any risk of the 48 hour bag failing.

Well said. The other thing is there is little risk in using any Filson hard (my LTB just came back unscathed from American Airlines today after being lost at DFW) as the bags are durable, look better with use, and can be repaired at Filson (with the ‘oversewing’ repair work actually increasing the desirability of the bag!).

speedy611

Reaction score
Do I remember someone looking for a small travel kit? The Filson FB group has a brand new one in navy going for $50. I can’t post the link because it’s a closed group, but I’m sure you can figure it out.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I finally went ahead and put my stuff on the bag list...but only the ones I use! Well, only the ones I remember. BTW, I'm looking for a Whidbey Carry-all if anyone has one laying around. That, and no price is too high for a Draftsman Weight - my last Filson bucket list item.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally went ahead and put my stuff on the bag list...but only the ones I use! Well, only the ones I remember. BTW, I'm looking for a Whidbey Carry-all if anyone has one laying around. That, and no price is too high for a Draftsman Weight - my last Filson bucket list item.
You have been looking for the draftsman weight for years! Did you find the playing card case and the pen case?

woodsjw

Reaction score
@woodsjw thought about you when I saw this. Might be one size too large though

Thanks OMG! I ended up finding one a few months back but ended up selling it after I got it... just not enough cold weather here in TX to justify having two of them!

speedy611

Reaction score
OK folks, several posts coming up. Feel free to skip ahead if you aren’t interested!

Last week I was browsing facebook marketplace, which here in the UK is used as a local classifieds site, and is a great resource. This is a bad habit and can lead to a lot of ‘what if’ questions.

To my astonishment, there was a new post matching my ‘Filson’ search. 4 bags being sold as a bundle. For the not very much amount of about $70 per bag. For you US based bargain hunters, this isn’t all that unusual perhaps, but here, it’s unprecedented in my experience.

So, negotiations ensue, postage is arranged and these things show up yesterday. I knew approximately which models I was getting, but the photos were a little blurry, and the build tags not shown. I was told the bags were about 8 years old, and I could see the older style ‘might as well have the best’ tags, plus what looked like YKK zips. Seller was an assistant for someone, knew little about the bags, or their rarity in this market.

Here’s what I saw after unpacking the parcel

DF69B551-587E-4175-A2AB-3EEFEB2915D4.jpeg

Thus:
Garment bag 270 08/05
Large outfitter 239 11/06
Large rolling duffle 283 07/06
XL rolling duffle 284 06/05

Overall, condition is very good. Twill is soft and doesn’t smell. Leather is good, with russet colours coming through where scratched. A few areas on the twill with small marks that can be removed with a little TLC.

I guess I didn’t really buy these to keep all of them, but figured if I could sell one or two I’d be break even.

I’ll comment on each in some posts below.

speedy611

Reaction score
Here’s the 239 large outfitter. I’d never seen one of these in the flesh, but heard about them. Wow. It’s a beast, both in size and construction. I had initially thought from the seller pic that this was an MTB, but then saw the side zip pockets and a tell tale zip puller down below. So it had to be an outfitter, but didn’t know if it was the regular or large.

8AABEE75-D9AB-4CF0-8188-0A6AB6D7DFA4.jpeg

A very square, handsome bag. Of the 4 this is the most likely to be kept.

57B069CF-663F-4F1C-ACB7-9238ADFA7D9C.jpeg

Yes, that’s RW 877 with lots of room to spare in the base compartment. The inner fabric dividers are missing I think, because there are studs where they might have gone.

CB5E141F-7B63-4372-9DB0-4361F7A9724D.jpeg

4 big YKK zips on this thing.

A padded shoulder strap was included and it’s hard to be sure, but it seems absolutely brand new and unused. It might be a replacement.

Would I use this? For large car carry, yes. It’s a good shape for a car trunk - more efficient and boxy than my large duffle. I will test pack both to see which holds more.

speedy611

Reaction score
270 Garment bag.

EE6A5A6D-C32D-473E-9583-9528B0E478FC.jpeg

This feels like a US army issue uniform carrier somehow. It’s as very nice, overbuilt piece, but I guess feels a bit outdated in shape. It would swallow a lot of stuff I think, and the shoe pockets on the inside are neat. I think the buckles on the bottom are in the wrong place - surely this is where all the abrasion will occur?

B7DBD421-14CF-4767-B8D4-BFE82CDDEE92.jpeg

Shoulder strap is missing on this one. I wouldn’t mind keeping this - be a fun way to show up to a black tie country weekend with my tux. And given that happens about once every 5 years, I guess I’ll probably sell this one.

speedy611

Reaction score
The big beast - XL rolling duffle. It’s absolutely huge. I like the fact it doesn’t have an extending handle - just a big leather grip on top.

E0E2C255-2AF6-414B-844D-E0DC8339E9B3.jpeg

Then the massive chunk’o’cow on the base
EC1AAAD7-D9B7-427C-9D06-ED4FBA99E6B3.jpeg

This is in the worst overall condition - a tear and a crack in the plastic housing meaning one of the wheels is loose and not taking weight. (Not shown) You can see in the pic that the screw is pulling through the plastic too.

Question: is this something Filson will fix under warranty? The broken wheel housing is a problem, as is the hole as it will likely get worse.
44036F86-8520-4260-8FFF-4D1B93D61037.jpeg

I may keep if I can get it fixed, and sell my large duffle. The wheels are very nice to have!

speedy611

Reaction score
Lastly, the regular rolling duffle. No damage on this on, thankfully.

A254D5D3-95F3-4959-818D-7E4B64BA7EB3.jpeg

Handle works well, and patina on the leather patches is nice
DE532499-1192-4C84-B245-EAB011D52C35.jpeg

Both this and the XL have these zipped internal pockets. They almost seem to work better when laid flat across the top of your stuff, which might make sense for quick access to smaller / important items
CEF055A4-2AD5-4E93-9363-17F7E1FEBF7A.jpeg

I could see us using this as a family hauler - it’s not so huge as to be untenable, but is definitely a capacious bag. For all those reasons it’d probably sell well too, especially given that new here it’s about £600!!

So, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. Any advice or suggestions as to what to keep and what to sell (or offers...) is welcome! It’s going to be hard to justify my large duffle and pullman - and outfitter and 2x rolling duffles.

Finally - @OtterMeanGreen - I hope I haven’t induced you into an OG coma ;-)

Wandering

Reaction score
Lastly, the regular rolling duffle. No damage on this on, thankfully.

View attachment 1229475

Handle works well, and patina on the leather patches is nice
View attachment 1229476

Both this and the XL have these zipped internal pockets. They almost seem to work better when laid flat across the top of your stuff, which might make sense for quick access to smaller / important items
View attachment 1229477

I could see us using this as a family hauler - it’s not so huge as to be untenable, but is definitely a capacious bag. For all those reasons it’d probably sell well too, especially given that new here it’s about £600!!

So, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. Any advice or suggestions as to what to keep and what to sell (or offers...) is welcome! It’s going to be hard to justify my large duffle and pullman - and outfitter and 2x rolling duffles.

Finally - @OtterMeanGreen - I hope I haven’t induced you into an OG coma ;-)
Very nice bags. Filson has got a good rolling luggage assortment. It's only too bad that none of their rolling luggage is truly carry-on, except for their now discontinued Small rolling duffle when not full, which I have and like a lot.
It also has got the zipped internal pocket, but not the flap covering the main compartment. I feel it makes it stand out from the other duffles that way, so I don't miss it.
I have returned my (only recently updated) Rolling carry-on bag as I've come to the conclusion that no European airline would accept it as carry-on...Quite an oversight on Filson's part, I feel.

Wandering

Reaction score
270 Garment bag.

View attachment 1229469

This feels like a US army issue uniform carrier somehow. It’s as very nice, overbuilt piece, but I guess feels a bit outdated in shape. It would swallow a lot of stuff I think, and the shoe pockets on the inside are neat. I think the buckles on the bottom are in the wrong place - surely this is where all the abrasion will occur?

View attachment 1229470

Shoulder strap is missing on this one. I wouldn’t mind keeping this - be a fun way to show up to a black tie country weekend with my tux. And given that happens about once every 5 years, I guess I’ll probably sell this one.
I've contemplated buying such a garment bag on sale. Until I saw how big it really was (would be too heavy for me with shoes and shoe trees included) and some reviewers said the hanger holders were not shut tight.

So now I'll have the regular suit cover on my wish list :)

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.