• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TinMan3

Reaction score
I like it, and at that price with all the leather and detailing it’s good value. Googling around, it looks to have useful interior organization, and exterior end pockets. Shorter handles than 260
Or 261 - will they go over your shoulder? I like the buckle over the top - more security than the 260 and quick access with no zip.

I don’t know much about the rugged canvas compared to twill, but I think @TinMan3 has an FRD canvas tote he likes a lot (??)

Go for it!
My FRD tote is twill, and I love it. Use almost daily! But I do have a canvas pouch which is made of what appears to be the same material and it’s very heavy duty. Really really nice.
9B8329F5-69FF-45FD-A036-7B32D3343C01.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess you could compare me to @Soletrane & @speedy611 in that we are pretty content with the Filson bags we have and rarely add to the collection. However that has changed in the recent months, with both of the aforementioned adding to their arsenal. So it's only seems right that I am following suit.

Love the guesses so far, you guys are sharp as a tack. Although I have been obsessing about buying one of these when the right one came along. So without further delay, here is my newest and already beloved First Edition NAVY Journeyman, with Rivets and Motto Tag in tow.

BD1939AD-DC84-4735-8507-1C3E43569463.jpeg

I was very lucky in winning this bid, as it was a fierce bidding war between several people, but I walked away with it for a mere $199 (minus tax and shipping). My computer acted up at the last second and I nearly didn't get my max bid in on time, which @TinMan3 advised I do, since I screwed up the last first edition Journeyman I tried to win (Otter Green), striking way to early and driving the price up (something the seller probably appreciated lol). This time I waited to the last 10 seconds to strike and it literally came down to 1 second before the bid was entered.

This is my very first Navy Filson and I am in love. It's going to go great with my Otter Greens and Tan. The only issue is the laptop compartment has some coffee stains (I think), so I will have to clean that up and post the before and afters. No foul smells though, so I am fortunate.

Your Journeyman 2.jpg

@Soletrane do you have these Otter Green like strap contrasts on your Navy Journeyman?

Your Journeyman 3.jpg

It has some Patina to it, as I have said many times Navy takes on a white-ish patina very much akin to a worn pair of denim. I do like it. The leather is also exceptional and not of the flawed variety commonly seen on 2014-2017 Bedrocks.

Your Journeyman 4.jpg

I love the organization this bag has, and there's literally a pocket for everything. I will post a picture of my current setup in the coming days. It carries like a dream, even when fully loaded up. I gotta say I have never been this back and forth on a color before. At first wanting Otter Green, then Tan Brooks Brother's, then plain old Tan, and then back to Otter Green and finally Navy lol.

9170E1BC-FE4D-486B-BE92-B374D8D15646.jpeg

1113 Build Date. Love the lighter tan interior, makes finding things much easier.
04886719-EB18-4C24-86F4-F7EDB99388EC.jpeg

Last edited:

speedy611

Reaction score
I guess you could compare me to @Soletrane & @speedy611 in that we are pretty content with the Filson bags we have and rarely add to the collection. However that has changed in the recent months, with both of the aforementioned adding to their arsenal. So it's only seems right that I am following suit.

Love the guesses so far, you guys are sharp as a tack. Although I have been obsessing about buying one of these when the right one came along. So without further delay, here is my newest and already beloved First Edition NAVY Journeyman, with Rivets and Motto Tag in tow.

View attachment 1225456

I was very lucky in winning this bid, as it was a fierce bidding war between several people, but I walked away with it for a mere $199 (minus tax and shipping). My computer acted up at the last second and I nearly didn't get my max bid in on time, which @TinMan3 advised I do, since I screwed up the last first edition Journeyman I tried to win (Otter Green), striking way to early and driving the price up (something the seller probably appreciated lol). This time I waited to the last 10 seconds to strike and it literally came down to 1 second before the bid was entered.

This is my very first Navy Filson and I am in love. It's going to go great with my Otter Greens and Tan. The only issue is the laptop compartment has some coffee stains (I think), so I will have to clean that up and post the before and afters. No foul smells though, so I am fortunate.

View attachment 1225459

@Soletrane do you have these Otter Green like strap contrasts on your Navy Journeyman?

View attachment 1225460

It has some Patina to it, as I have said many times Navy takes on a white-ish patina very much akin to a worn pair of denim. I do like it. The leather is also exceptional and not of the flawed variety commonly seen on 2014-2017 Bedrocks.

View attachment 1225461

I love the organization this bag has, and there's literally a pocket for everything. I will post a picture of my current setup in the coming days. It carries like a dream, even when fully loaded up. I gotta say I have never been this back and forth on a color before. At first wanting Otter Green, then Tan Brooks Brother's, then plain old Tan, and then back to Otter Green and finally Navy lol.

View attachment 1225476

1113 Build Date. Love the lighter tan interior, makes finding things much easier.
View attachment 1225528

Fantastic! Nice find and always so pleasing to wait, find the one you want and be successful at getting it. I must say I hadn’t realized that the Journeyman was made as early as 2013. Perhaps it is a “classic” in ways that some of the newer design bags haven’t been able to achieve. I hope it serves you well - mgrennier certainly seems extremely happy with his.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats OMG! I have used my very similar navy Journeyman in nearly every trip for the last several years (and many day trips). And it fades very similarly to navy chinos I have had in the past.

I recently bought the Ranger as a more general purpose pack. It fixes for what has been a challenge with the Journeyman (for me), the Ranger has a daisy wheel on the straps so that I can affix a third party chest strap. Otherwise I find the Journeyman works its way off my shoulders as I walk around. I tried to use binder clips to keep the chest straps in place on the Journeyman straps but with very mixed results.

As it stands now, I would probably use the Journeyman more for work trips and the larger Ranger for leisure trips. However, if my teenage son breaks his regular nylon Jansport school backpack, I might also consider giving him the Journeyman as I am genuinely curious how the Journeyman would stand up to the daily abuse that high school students put their bags through!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats OMG! I have used my very similar navy Journeyman in nearly every trip for the last several years (and many day trips). And it fades very similarly to navy chinos I have had in the past.

I recently bought the Ranger as a more general purpose pack. It fixes for what has been a challenge with the Journeyman (for me), the Ranger has a daisy wheel on the straps so that I can affix a third party chest strap. Otherwise I find the Journeyman works its way off my shoulders as I walk around. I tried to use binder clips to keep the chest straps in place on the Journeyman straps but with very mixed results.

As it stands now, I would probably use the Journeyman more for work trips and the larger Ranger for leisure trips. However, if my teenage son breaks his regular nylon Jansport school backpack, I might also consider giving him the Journeyman as I am genuinely curious how the Journeyman would stand up to the daily abuse that high school students put their bags through!
Thanks! I haven’t worn a backpack in years, maybe more then a decade. It feels right at home on my back. What’s a daisy wheel btw? Glad you like the Ranger, I’ve often admired it in the past. How do the straps feel under heavy load, compared to the Mackinaw wool straps on the Journeyman? You’re a cool dad, hope your son appreciates the unique gesture.

I absolutely agree with your sentiment @speedy611 thank you. I believe it was first introduced in the first quarter of 2013. I happen to think it’s among Bedrock’s finest creations (such as the 24/48HR)

Lately the Journeyman saw a bit of a resurgence, with @TinMan3 @GzStudio @CCF1897 @mgrennier all buying one and trying it out. Soletrane is definitely the Original G though, being the first.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I haven’t worn a backpack in years, maybe more then a decade. It feels right at home on my back. What’s a daisy wheel btw? Glad you like the Ranger, I’ve often admired it in the past. How do the straps feel under heavy load, compared to the Mackinaw wool straps on the Journeyman? You’re a cool dad, hope your son appreciates the unique gesture.

I absolutely agree with your sentiment @speedy611 thank you. I believe it was first introduced in the first quarter of 2013. I happen to think it’s among Bedrock’s finest creations (such as the 24/48HR)

Lately the Journeyman saw a bit of a resurgence, with @TinMan3 @GzStudio @CCF1897 @mgrennier all buying one and trying it out. Soletrane is definitely the Original G though, being the first.
Sorry, I meant to say “daisy chain webbing” which is a strip of canvas webbing running down frontside of the shoulder straps which has been sewn to create loops at regular intervals. One can then attach carabiners or other attachments like a chest strap to the shoulder straps.

The Ranger has foam filled shoulder straps so more cushioned than the Journeyman. The Journeyman has moleskin lined straps which are very nice. I have noted no problems with either with a heavy load in terms of strap discomfort. The Ranger straps are beefier but then the backpack is bigger (heavier load).

I like the Ranger’s capacity and lack of external pockets and zipper (I am always paranoid about people trying to open my backpack surreptitiously in crowds) for general travel. I get around the lack of external pocket by wearing a Scottee Travel Vest. It is also a handsome, traditional design. But it is too unstructured for work use and a bit large as a daypack. I want all those pockets and zippers when my backpack is acting as my mobile office (a la Journeyman). And if I am not carrying a lot of bulky gear, the Journeyman is a more compact, tidy option.

TinMan3

Reaction score

View attachment 1225456

View attachment 1225459

View attachment 1225460

View attachment 1225461

View attachment 1225476

View attachment 1225528
Awesome! Looks great OMG. Happy that you got what you were looking for. As you mentioned, I did pick up a BB Journeyman. There is no question that it is a great backpack. My one bugaboo is the storm flap. I feel like it gets in the way of the zipper and I haven't been able to get used to it. Also, it just feels weird carrying a backpack after carrying a briefcase for so long. Here are some pics.

DSC07214.JPG

DSC07222.JPG
DSC07225.JPG
DSC07211.JPG

DSC07213.JPG

Interesting that mine was made only 5 months after yours, yet it does not have rivets or an old school tag.

Sadly, I see this one going up on the big bay soon simply because I don't think it would get the use that it deserves in my rotation and I am trying to be more like @speedy611 and keep only what is going to get regular use.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Reaction score
On another note, I try not to do this often, but because this is such a unique and special opportunity I thought I would share an item I recently posted on eBay. If interested let me know and we can work something out.

Link to Listing

With all the talk on Heavy Tin Cloth, I was stunned when this one showed up at my door. I didn't know it was heavy tin when I purchased it, I only knew that it was a workshop bag. it's a 'Modified 261' made with Heavy Tin Cloth and is fully lined. It also has very unusual red leather that is exceptionally thick. This is what I love about workshop. You get unique items that you would never get out of a full run.

DSC07111.JPG
DSC07116.JPG
DSC07122.JPG

TinMan3

Reaction score
I figured now is as good a time as ever to review our Filson Bag Thread Inventory metrics (nerd me is happy). See the Tables below.

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 9.02.54 AM.png

Not a huge surprise here, I think we knew that Tan was the most popular color, but it looks like tan is over twice as popular than the next leading color and is more than half of all bags among current members. Pretty awesome. @OtterMeanGreen Count include many previous members, most likely accounting for the discrepancy.

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 9.04.25 AM.png

I was personally surprised by the absolute domination of Filson era bags. With as much talk as we have about the vintage stuff, it's good to know that there are many people out there picking up modern era bags. Another surprise is the low number of bags from the YKK era. in relation to the whole. I would have expected Filson, then YKK, then Talon but a much closer race overall.

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 9.04.38 AM.png

No shockers here. 256 and 257 dominated the field and 261 made an honorable mention. Cool to see the spread of different skews that our group represents.

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 9.03.53 AM.png

Finally, the current winner of the GAS award goes to @CCF1897! Congrats buddy ;) we all have a problem, and were fine with it.

Some final thoughts, I'm sorry for the organization of the charts. I search far and wide for how to skew the charts highest to lowest but Sheets doesn't have that capability that I can find. In case you haven't had a chance to fill this out yet, below is a link. I hope this sparks good discussion!

Filson Bag Thread Inventory

CCF1897

Reaction score
I figured now is as good a time as ever to review our Filson Bag Thread Inventory metrics (nerd me is happy). See the Tables below.

View attachment 1225888

Not a huge surprise here, I think we knew that Tan was the most popular color, but it looks like tan is over twice as popular than the next leading color and is more than half of all bags among current members. Pretty awesome. @OtterMeanGreen Count include many previous members, most likely accounting for the discrepancy.

View attachment 1225886

I was personally surprised by the absolute domination of Filson era bags. With as much talk as we have about the vintage stuff, it's good to know that there are many people out there picking up modern era bags. Another surprise is the low number of bags from the YKK era. in relation to the whole. I would have expected Filson, then YKK, then Talon but a much closer race overall.

View attachment 1225885

No shockers here. 256 and 257 dominated the field and 261 made an honorable mention. Cool to see the spread of different skews that our group represents.

View attachment 1225887

Finally, the current winner of the GAS award goes to @CCF1897! Congrats buddy ;) we all have a problem, and were fine with it.

Some final thoughts, I'm sorry for the organization of the charts. I search far and wide for how to skew the charts highest to lowest but Sheets doesn't have that capability that I can find. In case you haven't had a chance to fill this out yet, below is a link. I hope this sparks good discussion!

No big surprise here, I’ve got major GAS. I’m sure it would similar if we did one for jackets. I need help!!! Might be time to move the Journeyman. Build date is 3/13. First edition. Like new. Little to no use.

speedy611

Reaction score

View attachment 1225888

View attachment 1225886

View attachment 1225885

View attachment 1225887

Thanks for doing this! It’s great fun seeing the spread and volume. I think the discrepancy of numbers between briefcases and everything else is interesting: namely that there isn’t a clear “go to” in the medium and large sized luggage.

Also a tease/ confession. I may, accidentally, be about to alter the GAS ratio somewhat.

I like @CCF1897 notion - instead of doing all clothing as an inventory, let’s do just jackets? @Tinman - could you set up a tab for this on the google doc?

Wandering

Reaction score

That's a beautiful backpack there. I especially like the contrast between the inner tan and outer navy. Its the same contrast as with my navy wash bag. Makes me wonder what the lining for OG would look like?

I've stopped wearing backpacks a long time ago, mainly because they always make my back terribly sweaty, but the journeyman tempts me...

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am selling a gently used medium duffle in otter green rugged twill and a gently used travel bag in otter green rugged twill. I have no clue what the latter bag is officially called (bought it four or five years ago and have used it only a few times), but maybe you can identify it if I send you a picture (it is very similar to the pullman - perhaps the initial version). Shoot me a PM if you are interested. Thanks!

speedy611

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am selling a gently used medium duffle in otter green rugged twill and a gently used travel bag in otter green rugged twill. I have no clue what the latter bag is officially called (bought it four or five years ago and have used it only a few times), but maybe you can identify it if I send you a picture (it is very similar to the pullman - perhaps the initial version). Shoot me a PM if you are interested. Thanks!
Hey there. You might want to post pics of the white product tags on each bag - that will give everyone the production dates and item numbers. For example there are 2 variants of the medium duffle...

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey there. You might want to post pics of the white product tags on each bag - that will give everyone the production dates and item numbers. For example there are 2 variants of the medium duffle...
The duffle is style 70222. I need to pull the other one again ... I looked briefly this morning and could not locate it. Weird. I know it is authentic though. Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.