• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

woodsjw

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not worried about the materials failing... its just not really big enough to check IMHO and I like it too much to risk it getting damaged. Just a personal preference.

woodsjw

Reaction score
I’d agree - modifying sleeves is possible but often difficult due to the lining etc etc.

I have long arms and always struggle with sleeve length. Basically I live with it. If the sleeve comes to my wrist bone with arms by my side I consider it “good enough”.

So if the jacket is discounted enough and you like it otherwise then it’s probably worth it.

Pics!
I ended up buying it. Just couldn't pass up the deal. It looks good with a long sleeve shirt... it rarely gets could enough here to bother layering it with a sweater. It does, however, accept my moleskin liner. I'll try to take a few fit pics when I have a moment.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson Mile Marker Jacket.

I need some quick advice! I found a Mile Marker Jacket at a local store at a heavy discount. They only have one in stock. I tried it on and the body fits great but the sleeves feel a tad too short... anyone else own this jacket? What are your thoughts? Probably would be fine with a long sleeve shirt under it.... not sure if the sleeves can be taken out at all.
I have a black medium Mile Marker (with the moleskin liner). I like it more than even my Barbour International waxed jacket which I have had for years. There are a couple of reasons - it is longer (coat vs jacket); it doesn’t have built in insulation (more temp range with the MM with and without liner), and the pocket placement is superior.

It is a great cost for travel in any type of cooler temperatures (40-60F). I bought on sale so only had the black option. But I have grown to like the more neutral/urban color given that I am more likely to wear it in town and city. If I remove the liner, it folds up into a square that fits neatly into my duffle.

I tend to find sleeves more often long than too short so I guess my arms are relatively short relative to my height. The MM sleeve length fits well.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not worried about the materials failing... its just not really big enough to check IMHO and I like it too much to risk it getting damaged. Just a personal preference.
Me too - I never check bags unless I have to. I travel a lot, and the wait and the risk of loss aren't worth it.

woodsjw

Reaction score
I have a black medium Mile Marker (with the moleskin liner). I like it more than even my Barbour International waxed jacket which I have had for years. There are a couple of reasons - it is longer (coat vs jacket); it doesn’t have built in insulation (more temp range with the MM with and without liner), and the pocket placement is superior.

It is a great cost for travel in any type of cooler temperatures (40-60F). I bought on sale so only had the black option. But I have grown to like the more neutral/urban color given that I am more likely to wear it in town and city. If I remove the liner, it folds up into a square that fits neatly into my duffle.

I tend to find sleeves more often long than too short so I guess my arms are relatively short relative to my height. The MM sleeve length fits well.
I'm on the other side of things... my wingspan is a little longer than average, just by an inch and a half or so, but it makes finding jackets a little tough... I'm generally in between Long and Regular size, but I'm not tall enough to buy Longs as the body of the coat/jacket is also longer.

speedy611

Reaction score
Today marks 10 years of this thread and more than 16000 posts.

Perhaps a little Hemingway from “Death in the Afternoon”:

“There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.”

Simple things understood slowly: quality, friendship, and a love of the outdoors in its many forms. All this coalescing in an unlikely corner of the Internet.

As ever, thanks to you all for the companionship, expertise and humour.

C0AA5F42-AE2F-4E56-B3F1-BC7A82816F42.jpeg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. In a perfect world I’d probably keep it. But I don’t like having too much stuff, especially if it’s not going to get used often. Circumstances change too - the 48 was an attempt as a “one bag” solution for 1-2 night biz trips. I don’t do those at the moment, but I do have 3-5 day trips so need more space. I fear too that I’m sliding toward classic Filson more and more. All my bags are now part of the early / original line up, and all twill, excepting the tin cloth large tote.

And just to shift the blame - this is @TinMan3 and @soltrane fault! :)
I am the same way - I don’t like keeping stuff I never use. Having said that, I find if I wait long enough, there will come a travel scenario that uses every Filson bag eventually. And part of the fun is trying to decide on which bag to use when I am packing.

Regarding new vs old, I am fine as long as it’s twill. I prefer the leather on the vintage bags, but I am not against picking up a new twill bag at a good price - like the Ranger.

TinMan3

Reaction score
Yes. In a perfect world I’d probably keep it. But I don’t like having too much stuff, especially if it’s not going to get used often. Circumstances change too - the 48 was an attempt as a “one bag” solution for 1-2 night biz trips. I don’t do those at the moment, but I do have 3-5 day trips so need more space. I fear too that I’m sliding toward classic Filson more and more. All my bags are now part of the early / original line up, and all twill, excepting the tin cloth large tote.

And just to shift the blame - this is @TinMan3 and @soltrane fault! :)
I accept your blame with pride :) Tin Cloth is a remarkable material for jackets, hats, pants, and just about anything you can wear. It patinas beautifully and wears very hard, but for me personally, it doesn’t hold its shape well enough for luggage. With that said, I too have a large grab and go tote that I find very nice for groceries or beach trips no matter how floppy it may be.

speedy611

Reaction score
I accept your blame with pride :) Tin Cloth is a remarkable material for jackets, hats, pants, and just about anything you can wear. It patinas beautifully and wears very hard, but for me personally, it doesn’t hold its shape well enough for luggage. With that said, I too have a large grab and go tote that I find very nice for groceries or beach trips no matter how floppy it may be.
Quite. My 48hr duffle sold and got taken to the post office today. In my tin cloth tote...
The irony was not lost on me.

woodsjw

Reaction score
Quite. My 48hr duffle sold and got taken to the post office today. In my tin cloth tote...
The irony was not lost on me.
I came very close to picking up the 48Hr before I decided on the MTB. Ultimately, I didn't trust the tin cloth materiel as being tough enough to be checked. Glad yours moved quickly! Are you eyeing any replacements currently?

speedy611

Reaction score
I came very close to picking up the 48Hr before I decided on the MTB. Ultimately, I didn't trust the tin cloth materiel as being tough enough to be checked. Glad yours moved quickly! Are you eyeing any replacements currently?
Yes! I cheated and already bought a YKK era 242 Large Carry on - pics posted up thread. Essentially, twill, classic looks and a bit bigger. I thought also about the MTB and new or old medium duffle. Then this came available, which is very unusual for the UK so I jumped.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tan tin cloth Meridian duffle was one of the only Filson I ever sold. Good design but as woodsjw mentioned, it lacked structure. I also wasn’t convinced it could fare well even with the occasional checking. And I needed that flexibility for at least occasional checking for a max sized carry-on particularly if I ended up on a full Embraer jet.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes! I cheated and already bought a YKK era 242 Large Carry on - pics posted up thread. Essentially, twill, classic looks and a bit bigger. I thought also about the MTB and new or old medium duffle. Then this came available, which is very unusual for the UK so I jumped.
Just as an aside between 242 owners: when I paired my 242 with one of the Filson fabric straps, I found myself using it much more. I always found the OEM leather strap got in the way when hand carrying and didn’t distribute the weight all that well for the 242 where the strap attachment points are both on the same side.

speedy611

Reaction score
Just as an aside between 242 owners: when I paired my 242 with one of the Filson fabric straps, I found myself using it much more. I always found the OEM leather strap got in the way when hand carrying and didn’t distribute the weight all that well for the 242 where the strap attachment points are both on the same side.
Good to know, thanks. I have a fabric strap so will try that. What I really want is one of the the wide leather padless straps - but that will have to wait until I can find one here, or I can swallow the postage and import fees!

mgrennier

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. I have a fabric strap so will try that. What I really want is one of the the wide leather padless straps - but that will have to wait until I can find one here, or I can swallow the postage and import fees!
I have the wide leather padless strap and I use it every day on my 256 or 257 (depending). I think it's just a lot more convenient than the strap with either the padded shoulder pad or the unpadded should pad. The underside isn't the beautiful velvet that we all crave, and the topside of the leather has a little aligator skin look, but it's nice nonetheless.

I've used it so much that it's really broken in now. It was SUPER stiff when I first got it.

I now have at least three straps laying around the house that I should probably sell or something.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.