• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

speedy611

Reaction score
I never check my bags in. It sounds like a nightmare to me to have a Filson bag checked-in.
But then again, I never travel longer than a week. If I really needed to check a bag in, I'd buy myself a classic Rimowa.

Filson bags, no matter how rugged, I baby every one of them .
@Soltrane - I saw that story when I was looking at your earlier posts on the 242. It makes me wince every time I hear it.

@Wandering - agree, it’s a balance about checking or not. I have a large duffle which I’m ok to check. If I absolutely need a large roller for checking then I use a pelican case. But my Pullman and 242 are train and car, or carry on only. The modalities in the UK are different to the US or Oz so I fly a lot less and the problem arises infrequently.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never check my bags in. It sounds like a nightmare to me to have a Filson bag checked-in.
But then again, I never travel longer than a week. If I really needed to check a bag in, I'd buy myself a classic Rimowa.

Filson bags, no matter how rugged, I baby every one of them .
I can appreciate that sentiment. But I kinda like the idea of using them hard and letting the scuffs and stains come as they may.

Okay, not so much with my tan or smaller bags like my Sportsman but certainly with the 242 and DEFINITELY with the heavy tin moss duffle. I have checked them both for years and they keep looking better (to my eye). The 34oz heavy tin material is extremely resistant to stains and scuffs - it is as incrementally tougher from the twill as the twill is from the regular tin cloth.

Wandering

Reaction score
I can appreciate that sentiment. But I kinda like the idea of using them hard and letting the scuffs and stains come as they may.

Okay, not so much with my tan or smaller bags like my Sportsman but certainly with the 242 and DEFINITELY with the heavy tin moss duffle. I have checked them both for years and they keep looking better (to my eye). The 34oz heavy tin material is extremely resistant to stains and scuffs - it is as incrementally tougher from the twill as the twill is from the regular tin cloth.
I would've loved to see one of these heavy tin bags in person . I know that they also used to have a heavy twill, but I only recall a grey tool bag in that cloth (like an over built tote bag).
It would be interesting to test and see what cloth is the heaviest and most rugged of all Filson fabrics.

woodsjw

Reaction score

The Heavy Tin Duffle is one of the last Filson bags on my bucket list. I almost had one about a year ago, but asked the seller if i could sleep on it. The next day it was in the wind... oh well. I'll get my hands on one eventually!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Heavy Tin Duffle is one of the last Filson bags on my bucket list. I almost had one about a year ago, but asked the seller if i could sleep on it. The next day it was in the wind... oh well. I'll get my hands on one eventually!
I’ve been saying the same thing about a 1st Edition Journeyman. I’ve found quite a few and even tried working with sellers, but somehow they keep slipping through my fingers

FC509276-03C6-4356-8DC1-CCA06DE05AF9.jpeg

woodsjw

Reaction score
So I've been doing quite a bit of traveling. I've been away from home for long stretches of time for a little over nine weeks this summer. I've been checking a medium size North Face Duffel that I didn't mind getting beat up, but the last few weeks I've been wanting to pick up a Filson Duffel that I could carry on or check and not worry about getting it messed up. (Most of my Filson bags are leather now and I tend to baby them)... anyway, I stumbled on a brand new MTB last night (built in 2014) and decided to message the seller and see if they'd come down on the price. I ended up picking it up for $224.99, which I feel like is a great deal for the condition of the bag. Should be here later this week but here are a few photos from the eBay listing.

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-7.jpg
s-l1600-8.jpg
s-l1600-9.jpg
s-l1600-10.jpg
s-l1600-11.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've been doing quite a bit of traveling. I've been away from home for long stretches of time for a little over nine weeks this summer. I've been checking a medium size North Face Duffel that I didn't mind getting beat up, but the last few weeks I've been wanting to pick up a Filson Duffel that I could carry on or check and not worry about getting it messed up. (Most of my Filson bags are leather now and I tend to baby them)... anyway, I stumbled on a brand new MTB last night (built in 2014) and decided to message the seller and see if they'd come down on the price. I ended up picking it up for $224.99, which I feel like is a great deal for the condition of the bag. Should be here later this week but here are a few photos from the eBay listing.

View attachment 1221748
View attachment 1221750View attachment 1221750View attachment 1221752View attachment 1221753View attachment 1221754View attachment 1221755View attachment 1221756View attachment 1221757View attachment 1221758
Congratulations! You know I only have good things to say about my MTB so I think you’ll quite enjoy it. Great deal considering the like-new condition. I got my Talon MTB for abound $300.

6EB9BCBE-7846-4ACE-B577-2CFC1155DB81.jpeg

speedy611

Reaction score

View attachment 1221748
View attachment 1221750View attachment 1221750View attachment 1221752View attachment 1221753View attachment 1221754View attachment 1221755View attachment 1221756View attachment 1221757View attachment 1221758
Very nice Woods! I hope it works out well. There’s always that hope / trepidation with eBay purchases - at least that’s how they make me feel. It will be interesting to see how you like it and how it likes getting checked!

woodsjw

Reaction score
Congratulations! You know I only have good things to say about my MTB so I think you’ll quite enjoy it. Great deal considering the like-new condition. I got my Talon MTB for abound $300
Yeah, originally I was looking for a YKK version in OG, but I decided to look for the tan version to pair with my OG Rolltop Backpack. I'm probably also going to put a paddles strap on it. I've got like 3 or 4 of the padded straps laying around that aren't getting much use.

woodsjw

Reaction score
Very nice Woods! I hope it works out well. There’s always that hope / trepidation with eBay purchases - at least that’s how they make me feel. It will be interesting to see how you like it and how it likes getting checked!
I can't imagine I won't like it... worse case scenario is return it for a refund, but I think I'll get some good use out of it. Especially since my work is requiring so much air travel lately.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1221748
Very nice. This must be one of last MTBs made I am gathering from the Filson badge. I enjoy the heck out of my LTB. The travel bag style is one of their best historic designs, in my opinion.

pnwprice

Reaction score
I really wish filson still made the MTB. It fills so many needs and scenarios. A good substitute is Vermilyea Pelle’s weekender duffles. Big side pockets that snap. About the size of a Filson medium duffle. Great great bag.
Just picked up this one. 18oz Halley Stevenson twill.

Attachments

woodsjw

Reaction score
I really wish filson still made the MTB. It fills so many needs and scenarios. A good substitute is Vermilyea Pelle’s weekender duffles. Big side pockets that snap. About the size of a Filson medium duffle. Great great bag.
Just picked up this one. 18oz Halley Stevenson twill.
I have the VP Weekender too and I love it, but I’d never check it. It’s strictly a carry on for me!

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.