• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
I needed it like I needed a hole in my head, but couldn’t pass up this eBay find. Too good of a deal in my opinion, and honestly I needed the “classic” filson bag. Never actually had a regular tan briefcase. (non FRD or “altered” bag).
Every time you post a new bag I want to buy it off you. That looks perfect. Great pick up.

speedy611

Reaction score
I think you're asking about the rucksack. It definitely feels bigger to me. I also have the Ranger pack which can hold even more than the rucksack. I am going to put the latter up for sale. It's too big for me and not as functional.
Thanks. Yes, I do indeed mean the rucksack. I’ve pulled the trigger on one so the tin cloth backpack is going. I like the looks of the Ranger but wanted traditional leather straps and the two big snap front pockets. I have a trip next week so hopefully will get to test it out.

mgrennier

Reaction score
Finally decided to pull the interior pocket divider out of my 257. My reasoning was that I had a one-night overnight business trip and wanted to carry the lightest Filson solution I could. Granted, I could have used the Journeyman and accomplished the same objective, but I still am on the fence about businessmen wearing backpacks with a suit (or sportcoat in this case).

I took a seam ripper and pulled out the stitches and it was pretty straightforward. Impressive and thick stitches by the way!

Here is the bag empty and as packed with my Eagle Creek thing carrying one extra shirt, one undershirt, one pr underwear and socks. Not seen is a lightweight dopp kit (also Eagle Creek) that I carry when my goal is super light.

Also - for those interested, I got a bit geeky while I was packing. I decided to weigh my 257 (with and without the inside divider) and my original 256. I used a kitchen scale. Sharing the results:

256: Empty, no strap. 1,214 grams, 2 lb 10.75 oz
257: Empty, no strap, WITH divider: 1,617 grams, 3 lb, 9 oz
257: Empty, no strap, WITHOUT divider: 1,448 grams, 3 lb 3 oz

Net net:
The 257 as is weighs nearly a pound more than the 256 (0.89 lbs)

The 257 with the divider removed weighs about 1/3 of a pound less than the 257 with the divider (0.37 lbs)

The 257 without the divider weighs about 1/2 lb more than the 256 (0.52 lbs)

For me, removing the divider in the 257 made it a lot more useful as I found myself not using the extra pockets anyway.

Attachments

Wandering

Reaction score
I've got a navy rugged twill wash bag, but what really steers me to otter green is the subtle fade it develops as seen on this 256 accompanied by a new rolling carry-on and new small field bag.

It is ever so greyish, and hence so versatile.
20190723_201027.jpg

patagoniacommunity

Reaction score
Alrighty, so here it is. I made it public so that anyone can edit without having to provide your email address. This may bite me in the butt, but I don't really see people doing it otherwise. This will be very cool if everybody buys in and add their bags to the list. I would love to get some of our regulars that we haven't heard from in a while to add their stuff. @Tom Lebrando @nevadabob @woodsjw @Fueco @patagoniacommunity @smcguirt and of course all you other fine fellows that post here regularly. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out if at all.

Style Forum Member Bag Inventory
Sorry, just catching up with everything and added my bag details to the list. Nice work everyone! Very interesting to see all of that.

Wandering

Reaction score
Any owners of the Small Pullman who want to share their experiences? I wonder if it's suited for a 4-5 day trip. I generally would pack a shirt for each day, extra pair of trousers, underwear, wash bag and extra pair of shoes.

I'm interested in the small pullman as it seems so organised (straps on both sides, opening flat).

Oh, and I'd also like to know about the portability/ weight distribution and the length of the strap.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the ‘Fortymile’ collection that has been popping up on ebay? I sort of like them in a weird way, but am more curious than actually wanting to add one to my rotation.

Retail seems insane for what they are. $325 for a twill bag with nylon zippers and no leather. Then again I think it was @speedy611 who said the made in USA stuff costs the same amount to make “roughly” due to labor costs no matter the materials. Anyways, just wondering if anyone has any info as they have never been on the Filson website.
ACB48C35-F6AD-41C7-AF15-273608B24BD8.jpeg

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the ‘Fortymile’ collection that has been popping up on ebay? I sort of like them in a weird way, but am more curious than actually wanting to add one to my rotation.

Retail seems insane for what they are. $325 for a twill bag with nylon zippers and no leather. Then again I think it was @speedy611 who said the made in USA stuff costs the same amount to make “roughly” due to labor costs no matter the materials. Anyways, just wondering if anyone has any info as they have never been on the Filson website. View attachment 1212007
They had quite a few at the outlet in Eagan. Don’t remember price, but I think under $200. Might want to give them a call.

pnwprice

Reaction score

Retail seems insane for what they are. $325 for a twill bag with nylon zippers and no leather. Then again I think it was @speedy611 who said the made in USA stuff costs the same amount to make “roughly” due to labor costs no matter the materials. Anyways, just wondering if anyone has any info as they have never been on the Filson website. View attachment 1212007
Whoever is selling these is a Seattle area local who is getting these from the outlet up here. I got the scoop on these from a filson manager and they’re salesman samples. Never mass produced. They feel ok but they’re pretty boring, IMO.

Attachments

TinMan3

Reaction score
Whoever is selling these is a Seattle area local who is getting these from the outlet up here. I got the scoop on these from a filson manager and they’re salesman samples. Never mass produced. They feel ok but they’re pretty boring, IMO.
Seems like it would make a good gym bag due to lack of heavy components, but yeah, in terms of overall looks, I agree, boring. Plus I do already have an Owen and Fred duffle that I use for this exact purpose.

My only thinking is that I’m glad they are still experimenting with made in USA designs rather than just shipping everything new overseas.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.