• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this while browsing for some medium sized duffles.

View attachment 1193578

Lol, "Talon zippers."
Haha yeah Brown Filson's certainly weren’t around for the Talon Era, neither was Black or Navy for that matter. eBay is chock full of dishonest sellers and exaggerations, that or they simply don’t know what they are selling. Common example: listing a MTB as a duffel bag.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think he means the build tag too - similarly to what I was asking last week.

What’s the approximate dating with the so-called eras?

90s - ? Talon
Early 00s - ? YKK
Ah a question that never gets old despite being asked many times on this thread.

These dates are based upon my research. Keep in mind the dates listed below are a close estimate, there are cases of overlap during the transitions

1.Talon Era (all editions/revisions)
1992-2002

2. YKK Era
2002-2009

3. Filson Branded YKK
2009-Current

Last edited:

bucky0486

Reaction score
Haha yeah Brown Filson's certainly weren’t around for the Talon Era, neither was Black or Navy for that matter. eBay is chock full of dishonest sellers and exaggerations, that or they simply don’t know what they are selling. Common example: listing a MTB as a duffel bag.
When I saw "Brown" and "Talon" in the same sentence, I knew that was a red flag. But then to include a close-up picture of the zippers that clearly say "FILSON," I had to laugh. The only thing I can think is that the seller noticed that other Filson items that listed "Talon zippers" went for more money and threw that in the description in the hopes of luring in an unsuspecting buyer.

I'm not sure if it's dishonesty or incompetence. Either way, I'm not a buyer.

reglacoste

Reaction score
Ah a question that never gets old despite being asked many times on this thread.

These dates are based upon my research. Keep in mind the dates listed below are a close estimate, there are cases of overlap during the transitions

1992-2002

2. YKK Era
2002-2009

3. Filson Branded YKK
2009-Current
Do you know when the Journey Man and roll top backpack have been released ?
I've both of them, great for daily and hiking.
Just curious to know if there are some of these bags from YKK era but i guess not.

What were the back packs bags from Talon Era ?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know when the Journey Man and roll top backpack have been released ?
I've both of them, great for daily and hiking.
Just curious to know if there are some of these bags from YKK era but i guess not.

What were the back packs bags from Talon Era ?
Journeyman is a Bedrock creation for sure, as is the Roll Top. I'm not positive of the Roll Top's release date, but it is somewhere around 2015-2016. First Editions of the Journeyman is I believe late 2012-2013. Bedrock took control in First Quarter of 2012.

The only Talon/Era Backpack style bag is going to be the Rucksack.

reglacoste

Reaction score
That was approximately what i thought.
Only one "vintage" Talon Era Bag, veeeeeeeerrrryyyyyyy beautiful ... Even if the size and form is not so much my style.
But i could consider buy it on Ebay.
I guess this is a very rare bag ! and expensive app. 350 $ minimum i'm pretty sure !

One big question : From which era the Sportsman bag comes from ? YKK ?
Is there some "Talon Era" Sportsman bag ? 💕💕💕:inlove::inlove:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was approximately what i thought.
Only one "vintage" Talon Era Bag, veeeeeeeerrrryyyyyyy beautiful ... Even if the size and form is not so much my style.
But i could consider buy it on Ebay.
I guess this is a very rare bag ! and expensive app. 350 $ minimum i'm pretty sure !

One big question : From which era the Sportsman bag comes from ? YKK ?
Is there some "Talon Era" Sportsman bag ? 💕💕💕:inlove::inlove:
The Sportsman bag debuted during the YKK Era when the Pad-less shoulder strap was nearing the transition into the padded one we still see today. In fact there is probably (again based on my research) only about 5% of Sportsman #266's that feature the same padless shoulder strap as seen in the all of the advertising photos during it's wide release. It's so rare I've only seen 1 or 2 examples of it for sale or on google.

reglacoste

Reaction score
The Sportsman bag debuted during the YKK Era when the Pad-less shoulder strap was nearing the transition into the padded one we still see today. In fact there is probably (again based on my research) only about 5% of Sportsman #266's that feature the same padless shoulder strap as seen in the all of the advertising photos during it's wide release. It's so rare I've only seen 1 or 2 examples of it for sale or on google.
Thank you !
what could you say about Rugged twill "YKK era's" quality ? Same as "Talon Era" ?

speedy611

Reaction score
I wonder if it’s time the regular members here created a short FAQ that we could point folk to?

For example:
Common and classic bag models and their approximate eras
Twill vs Tin cloth
A brief history of the ownership of Filson
256/257/258 which to buy?
Options for 2/3 night one and two bag carry
Overview of classic clothing: vests, Mackinaws and Cruisers
The dark side: leather, suede, special editions and FRD.

Easy to host on here or a stand alone site. (Eg “Filson FAQ - companion thread to Filson Bag Thread”. One post per FAQ item)

If we divide the topics between ourselves it’s not a big task to put this together.

Thoughts?

TinMan3

Reaction score
I wonder if it’s time the regular members here created a short FAQ that we could point folk to?

For example:
Common and classic bag models and their approximate eras
Twill vs Tin cloth
A brief history of the ownership of Filson
256/257/258 which to buy?
Options for 2/3 night one and two bag carry
Overview of classic clothing: vests, Mackinaws and Cruisers
The dark side: leather, suede, special editions and FRD.

Easy to host on here or a stand alone site. (Eg “Filson FAQ - companion thread to Filson Bag Thread”. One post per FAQ item)

If we divide the topics between ourselves it’s not a big task to put this together.

Thoughts?
Because we get so many ‘common’ questions, I think it’s a great idea. I think we probably have enough willing participants to divi up the topics. I like the idea of a standalone site since it’s really not possible to stickie certain posts on here. It would make it much easier to point people in that direction.

Of course, there’s always going to be some differences of opinion, but I think that’s where topics can always be brought back to the forum for debate and personal experience.

So how do you suggest get the ball rolling@speedy611?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you !
what could you say about Rugged twill "YKK era's" quality ? Same as "Talon Era" ?
It's close, when you consider the early YKK's but like anything, quality and consistency changes. It's definitely not the same in terms of leather quality and that is a certifiable fact. There's no suede side like Talon Era, albeit maybe the first editions YKK's saw some in the transition. The underside will create a pilling effect, which is unique to the YKK Era. I actually like this look so it's not a knock against it.

That's really the only discernible difference though. The very first editions of the Talon Era (1992 to early 1999) saw a difference in Otter Green, before it's wide release, but that hardly can be chalked up to a decline in quality, as it's just a different shade (as seen in my avatar). I believe Tan saw a slight change in color too somewhere in that time period.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1992-2002

2. YKK Era
2002-2009

3. Filson Branded YKK
2009-Current
The three categories pretty much captures it all (though transitional pieces do exist, as you mention). I think the YKK bags are what Filson could be still producing - even though the YKK era leather doesn't quite age like the Talon era pieces (that everyone uses for photo shoots). But it's not substandard stuff that pills etc either.

My YKK era field satchel doesn't even have a zipper but falls squarely into that same paradigm. It doesn't age/fade into a a beautiful mellow chestnut brown like the older Talon era satchels but doesn't have any of the QC issues with leather quality or the lock base plate detaching like the Filson era satchels.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The three categories pretty much captures it all (though transitional pieces do exist, as you mention). I think the YKK bags are what Filson could be still producing - even though the YKK era leather doesn't quite age like the Talon era pieces (that everyone uses for photo shoots). But it's not substandard stuff that pills etc either.

My YKK era field satchel doesn't even have a zipper but falls squarely into that same paradigm. It doesn't age/fade into a a beautiful mellow chestnut brown like the older Talon era satchels but doesn't have any of the QC issues with leather quality or the lock base plate detaching like the Filson era satchels.
I actually don't equate pilling to substandard, as it's a form of aging. I'd rather have pilling then tearing, snapping, chipping or w/e strange wear pattern which was happening on your Filson-YKK Journeyman and others like it from that era. I think the new stuff is quality too, just don't expect it to age like the Talon/YKK. I imagine it will age like a military tank.

YKK Pilling Effect for those interested:
pil 1.PNG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, for how most of us use the bags, any Filson bag is gonna stand up to a lot of abuse.
True, however standing up and aging are two different things. The current Era (or that of the last 8 years) are going to age completely different then that of the YKK Era and most certainly the Talon Era. That's why there's a big market for them currently, especially with the ever-changing Filson we see today, some for the good and some for the bad.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.