• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TinMan3

Reaction score
I have this heavy tin open tote which I have used for years for the gym. It's just like the twill one but more rigid because of the heavy fabric. I was thinking of taking it as my carry-on (I am also checking luggage) on a long trip since it's a great bag to throw food and headphones into on the flight. However, it is 'open' so it's not as secure as other bags I have. Any thoughts on using an open tote on a flight?
I have always opted for the zip tote (261) as a personal item on a flight (as long as I’m not carrying a briefcase) mostly due to the capacity and security, but I think an open tote would be ok as long as valuables are kept toward the bottom. It’s hard to beat the utility of the open tote with the capacity to just throw stuff in.

Teger

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
zip tote best carryon

I just finished a trip with my small duffle. It fit 3 days worth of clothes well, including two pairs of shoes, but it still is kind of heavy to lug around on your shoulder through an airport vs. a roller bag

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always opted for the zip tote (261) as a personal item on a flight (as long as I’m not carrying a briefcase) mostly due to the capacity and security, but I think an open tote would be ok as long as valuables are kept toward the bottom. It’s hard to beat the utility of the open tote with the capacity to just throw stuff in.
Thank you. I was thinking it might be okay for my son as a personal item with whom everything just ends up being a jumbled mess of phone charger, cords, drinks, snacks anyway.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zip tote best carryon

I just finished a trip with my small duffle. It fit 3 days worth of clothes well, including two pairs of shoes, but it still is kind of heavy to lug around on your shoulder through an airport vs. a roller bag
It's definitely not as easy to lug around an airport terminal as a roller bag, but I find once you get out of the smooth surfaces and big sliding doors of an airport and start encountering stairs, train turnstiles, uneven surfaces - or even need to sprint to catch a shuttle bus or having to stuff your bag in the back of a full airport van, the small duffle has some advantages. I think these advantages gets exponentially nullified as the duffle bag gets incrementally bigger beyond this size though, in my own experience.

I found limiting the amount of shoes I carry to one or none in the duffle bag helps a lot too with the weight.

mgrennier

Reaction score
Awesome! Looks like a nice happy Buffalo Plaid Family. BTW I’m rooting for St. Louis for their first Cup win. Hoping they pull off a Game 7 upset in front of a Boston crowd.
Considering I live in St. Louis right now, I'm REALLY rooting for the Blues to beat the Bruins. I really can't stand Marchand (just during this series, I guess) but he's doing something right. Filson clothes being just one of them...

speedy611

Reaction score
Thank you. I was thinking it might be okay for my son as a personal item with whom everything just ends up being a jumbled mess of phone charger, cords, drinks, snacks anyway.
I’d be concerned about it tipping over in the overhead bin and stuff falling everywhere. Small items might not then be noticed and thus lost. Also might not fit upright under the seat in front, with similar results. Loosing stuff under airline seats is a nightmare - I’ve done it too often!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you guys see the latest Carl Murawski video on Filson. Pretty entertaining.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently this guy was pretty busy at an estate sale. He has at least 3 beautiful Talon Era Filson's in Tan; one is the flap-less small duffel and another is a gorgeous first edition MTB #246, which is definitely the older larger size (as seen in the first picture). Also it features a wide shoulder strap without padding, and it looks to be the old world quality version.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shameless Filson/Shinola watch post... pairs well with Greek IPA.
I like some of the Filson watch designs (no doubt benefiting from the Shinola connection). I particularly like the field watch with its simple design, domed crystal and absence of the date. The bold Arabic numerals giving it a more modern look.

Field.JPG

nevadabob

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Shinola is making Filson's watches any more...new country of origin and new price points gots me all sortsa suspicious.

Also, the fact that Filson sold watches, stopped, sold watches made by Filson, stopped, and now is selling more watches is another flag for me.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Shinola is making Filson's watches any more...new country of origin and new price points gots me all sortsa suspicious.

Also, the fact that Filson sold watches, stopped, sold watches made by Filson, stopped, and now is selling more watches is another flag for me.
I spoke with a Filson employee. They dove into the watch game a few years back with Shinola and it was the right idea at the wrong price point and too much too fast. They sold off all inventory (at heavy discounts).

They worked with the Shinola to design the ‘New’ Filson Field Watch styles. They are made in Japan but from very good quality materials and at a much more reasonable price point.

I think they are doing now what should have been done in the first place. While I liked their old style (field watch, Dutch harbor, Skagit, and a few more), starting with one simple classic design at a price point that won’t scare people away then building out from there is the way to go. You don’t get the MiUSA perception, but I think they will be more successful this way.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.