• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Coolwater

Reaction score
Guys I need some explanation about the 24/48/72 hour briefcase case.
I've read many times the 24 is the new 72. Ok but what does it mean with regards to capacity.
Anyone can help me understand which one of the 3 is the biggest loader. Feel comfortable to have it for 2 / 3 days only bag to carry considering a laptop will be in the bag as well.
Oh, last question, does the dopp kit fit one of the zipper pocket on the front.
Thanks

GzStudio

Reaction score
24 and 72 are the same bag, a briefcase. The 48 hour has a little more capacity than a small duffle, but smaller capacity than the medium duffle. I doubt a dopp kit would fit in the front zippers, unless it was empty and folded.

Coolwater

Reaction score
24 and 72 are the same bag, a briefcase. The 48 hour has a little more capacity than a small duffle, but smaller capacity than the medium duffle. I doubt a dopp kit would fit in the front zippers, unless it was empty and folded.
Thanks for your guidance

mgrennier

Reaction score
Guys I need some explanation about the 24/48/72 hour briefcase case.
I've read many times the 24 is the new 72. Ok but what does it mean with regards to capacity.
Anyone can help me understand which one of the 3 is the biggest loader. Feel comfortable to have it for 2 / 3 days only bag to carry considering a laptop will be in the bag as well.
Oh, last question, does the dopp kit fit one of the zipper pocket on the front.
Thanks
I'd second what GZ said. First - Filson just changed the name of the 72 hour bag to the 24 hour bag. The 48 hour bag was introduced more recently. Probably about 3-4 or so years ago.

Also - the 24 hour bag and the 48 hour bag are basically the exact same bag with the 48 hour bag having a bigger section to store stuff. The front pockets are either exactly the same size on both styles or very, very close in dimensions.

If you pack SUPER light, you can take the 24 hour bag on an overnight stay (assuming you don't pack shoes and only take one additional outfit (extra shirt, pants - perhaps best stuffed into an eagle creek packing cube). I believe that you CAN put a very small dopp kit (but it can't be a traditional, big leather one or whatever, just a very small one). You may have to put your tube of toothpaste in the other pocket. You just need to be very economical in how you pack.

The 48 hour bag is probably my favorite bag for 2-3 nights. I'm a very light packer in general and it works for me to carry it on weekends or 2 night business trips.

Both are great bags - I've owned both (although I sold my 24 hour bag and replaced it with the original briefcase). Still have the 48.

Coolwater

Reaction score
I'd second what GZ said. First - Filson just changed the name of the 72 hour bag to the 24 hour bag. The 48 hour bag was introduced more recently. Probably about 3-4 or so years ago.

Also - the 24 hour bag and the 48 hour bag are basically the exact same bag with the 48 hour bag having a bigger section to store stuff. The front pockets are either exactly the same size on both styles or very, very close in dimensions.

If you pack SUPER light, you can take the 24 hour bag on an overnight stay (assuming you don't pack shoes and only take one additional outfit (extra shirt, pants - perhaps best stuffed into an eagle creek packing cube). I believe that you CAN put a very small dopp kit (but it can't be a traditional, big leather one or whatever, just a very small one). You may have to put your tube of toothpaste in the other pocket. You just need to be very economical in how you pack.

The 48 hour bag is probably my favorite bag for 2-3 nights. I'm a very light packer in general and it works for me to carry it on weekends or 2 night business trips.

Both are great bags - I've owned both (although I sold my 24 hour bag and replaced it with the original briefcase). Still have the 48.
Excellent eplanation as well.
Based on your comments and GZ's ones I think the 48 will fit my needs.

nevadabob

Reaction score
If you feel like giving that up or if anyone else reading has one of these I'll buy it. they pop up from time to time on The Internets but I've nevere been lucky enough to snag one. I'd love one to change chokes on my hunts.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Um, that was supposed to copy the quote with the recent photos of sunglasses in the choke tube bag, but it didn't work. OKCUL8r

speedy611

Reaction score
Excellent eplanation as well.
Based on your comments and GZ's ones I think the 48 will fit my needs.
I have the 48 hr duffle. It’ll do 3-4 days no problem. Shoes as ever take space, so that can a limiting factor.
Dopp kit: the Filson small travel kit, about half full just fits the front pocket. I can’t imagine that the full Filson size Dopp would go in.

speedy611

Reaction score
I know a number of us are fans of the Away cases @mgrennier...
Apparently they are the next startup darling having raised more money from VC and selling suitcases as an “experience”. I guess I shouldn’t be snarky about that given the nature of this thread, but I do struggle
to be as interested in a mass produced box on wheels as I am about rugged twill...

mgrennier

Reaction score
I know a number of us are fans of the Away cases @mgrennier...
Apparently they are the next startup darling having raised more money from VC and selling suitcases as an “experience”. I guess I shouldn’t be snarky about that given the nature of this thread, but I do struggle
to be as interested in a mass produced box on wheels as I am about rugged twill...

I understand. You may not know this, but my Away box on wheels is a bit custom. For example:

Mine is made of the aluminum from the original Filson sewing machine. Further, i have custom talon zippers in mine with a buttery leather handle hand stitched in the Seattle factory.

And the wheels? Repurposed from CC Filson’s original shop floor cart.

Kidding. It’s a great suitcase though. I may be the only guy in America with a Filson bag tag hanging from the handle.

TinMan3

Reaction score
I understand. You may not know this, but my Away box on wheels is a bit custom. For example:

Mine is made of the aluminum from the original Filson sewing machine. Further, i have custom talon zippers in mine with a buttery leather handle hand stitched in the Seattle factory.

And the wheels? Repurposed from CC Filson’s original shop floor cart.

Kidding. It’s a great suitcase though. I may be the only guy in America with a Filson bag tag hanging from the handle.
In the US, where the carry is not typically weight restricted, I’m more keen on the leather and twill version. In the UK and abroad, 8-10 kg is just not that much, so every little bit really counts. I love my rolling carry on though. Would be difficult to trade in for anything but a rimowa;).

patagoniacommunity

Reaction score
So I had some family in town this weekend and went to the Seattle flagship to show then around. Had to go back later in the week for this FRD beauty. It’s just too cool.

Pretty interesting piece. It’s an OG briefcase in almost perfect condition. Heavily fortified in a cool symmetrical stitch on every corner and wherever leather meets fabric. Topped off with the storm flap from a weatherproof leather briefcase. The talons on this thing look brand new. It’s like a cool workshop bag but made from like-new older materials. It feels bomb proof.
Thank you for sharing those pics. Beautiful!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this heavy tin open tote which I have used for years for the gym. It's just like the twill one but more rigid because of the heavy fabric. I was thinking of taking it as my carry-on (I am also checking luggage) on a long trip since it's a great bag to throw food and headphones into on the flight. However, it is 'open' so it's not as secure as other bags I have. Any thoughts on using an open tote on a flight?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.