• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you give me a quick tutorial? I'll go look.
Happy to. There's a little white tag in the bag's interior or in some cases, exterior. All YKK & Filson-YKK's have them, Talon's do not (99.9% of the time). On this tag will be a slew of numbers. Look for a 4 digit code. Example 1010 means October 2010.

My old Otter Green #266 Sportsman.

IMG_4815.JPG

So-33

Reaction score
Happy to. There's a little white tag in the bag's interior or in some cases, exterior. All YKK & Filson-YKK's have them, Talon's do not (99.9% of the time). On this tag will be a slew of numbers. Look for a 4 digit code. Example 1010 means October 2010.

My old Otter Green #266 Sportsman.

View attachment 1187241
I just went through my bag collection. Here's how the date code matches up to the zipper tagging.
YKK model 290 rolling carry on 0908
YKK model 271 small garment bag 0410
YKK model 265 divider bag? 1007
Filson tagged zipper,model 222 medium duffle 0508
Filson tagged zipper,model 220 small dufflel 0811
YKK X-Large duffle 0503
YKK model 257 padded briefcase 0112
Filson tagged zipper, model 218 shaving bag 0411

I have more but they've been borrowed over the years by my three daughter. I should go and collect them up!

So-33

Reaction score
Here's interesting one I found. It's a shell bag for the belt. Picked it up at the once yearly sale Filson used to have by their main factory/retail store. They stopped them when they opened the factory outlet stores.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went through my bag collection. Here's how the date code matches up to the zipper tagging.
YKK model 290 rolling carry on 0908
YKK model 271 small garment bag 0410
YKK model 265 divider bag? 1007
Filson tagged zipper,model 222 medium duffle 0508
Filson tagged zipper,model 220 small dufflel 0811
YKK X-Large duffle 0503
YKK model 257 padded briefcase 0112
Filson tagged zipper, model 218 shaving bag 0411

I have more but they've been borrowed over the years by my three daughter. I should go and collect them up!
Awesome thanks for sharing that. Wasn't expecting you to list them so much appreciated. Your XL Duffel is a first edition YKK. It shares the same build date as my former Otter Green #261. I ended up trading it and some cash for a Talon Tan #264 from @GzStudio . I miss its depth, was able to stand up any size whiskey bottle on one side. With the #264 Compartment Case I need to lean it on its side.

IMG_1317.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG

Teger

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
filson zip tote and small duffle, ready to go for a 3 day trip. first time using the small duffle. picked it up really cheaply off sierra trading post -- seems the perfect size for short trips. fits 2 pairs of shoes really well.

IMG_0540.jpeg

pnwprice

Reaction score
So I had some family in town this weekend and went to the Seattle flagship to show then around. Had to go back later in the week for this FRD beauty. It’s just too cool.

Pretty interesting piece. It’s an OG briefcase in almost perfect condition. Heavily fortified in a cool symmetrical stitch on every corner and wherever leather meets fabric. Topped off with the storm flap from a weatherproof leather briefcase. The talons on this thing look brand new. It’s like a cool workshop bag but made from like-new older materials. It feels bomb proof.

Attachments

GzStudio

Reaction score
So I had some family in town this weekend and went to the Seattle flagship to show then around. Had to go back later in the week for this FRD beauty. It’s just too cool.

Pretty interesting piece. It’s an OG briefcase in almost perfect condition. Heavily fortified in a cool symmetrical stitch on every corner and wherever leather meets fabric. Topped off with the storm flap from a weatherproof leather briefcase. The talons on this thing look brand new. It’s like a cool workshop bag but made from like-new older materials. It feels bomb proof.

Wondering if that was done by Anthony....?

Teger

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I use my zip tote as my everyday work bag. I used to use a 256, and had bought the zip tote as a plane carryon, but its way more versatile than that. The shorter straps make it much better for carrying heavier things (i.e. a laptop, charger, ipad, papers, other random crap), it's slightly wider so can fit more 'things', and it's great not having to sort through a bunch of pockets/sections to find what you're looking for.

TinMan3

Reaction score
I use my zip tote as my everyday work bag. I used to use a 256, and had bought the zip tote as a plane carryon, but its way more versatile than that. The shorter straps make it much better for carrying heavier things (i.e. a laptop, charger, ipad, papers, other random crap), it's slightly wider so can fit more 'things', and it's great not having to sort through a bunch of pockets/sections to find what you're looking for.
While I LOVE my 261 and it is accompanying me on the European tour my wife and I are currently enjoying, I personally think it looks a bit like a purse for an EDC. I know it’s just cultural, but the briefcase shape is socially seen a common style for men. I also personally find that the 256 fits my daily needs in terms of organization and shape, while the 261 is almost like a duffle where you can just stuff it full.

Speaking of, my new medium duffle weighed in a 16kg at Nice airport today. My calculator tells me that that’s over 35lbs. Yikes. That was a beast to haul through the streets of Cannes. I knew I should have bought the large rolling check in bag when I had the chance.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.